Author Topic: Vietnam War veteran, 83, wears his dress blues to stand guard over his Marine buddy's casket after they made promise to each other in 1968 when they survived a mortar attack  (Read 836 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Vietnam War veteran, 83, wears his dress blues to stand guard over his Marine buddy's casket after they made promise to each other in 1968 when they survived a mortar attack
Daily Mail/UK, Nov 16, 2017

An 83-year-old retired Marine kept a promise he made to a fellow officer while they were hunkered down in a bunker during the Vietnam War.

Retired Marine Master Sgt. William H. Cox and Retired Marine First Sgt. James 'Hollie' Hollingsworth were shielding themselves from rockets and mortars in 1968 as they were fighting in the Marble Mountains during the war on New Year's Eve.

The two men, who were strangers to each other, had decided if they made it out of the bunker and survived the war, they would contact each other every New Year's Eve.  For the next five decades they kept that promise - every New Year's Eve they would catch up.

<snip>

While visiting, Hollingsworth asked his buddy to make him one last promise. He asked him to stand guard over his casket and deliver the eulogy at his funeral, to which Cox accepted. 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5090421/Vietnam-War-veteran-stands-guard-buddy-s-casket.html#ixzz4ydqT7wEX

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

I have tears in my eyes, thank you for posting this. @Right_in_Virginia

G-d bless our veterans.  :patriot:
Thank you.

Thank you Freya!  I have to tell you that it is VERY hard for me to watch the country I fought for going right down the toilet!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

rangerrebew

Thank you Freya!  I have to tell you that it is VERY hard for me to watch the country I fought for going right down the toilet!

Like watching the National Felon League?  I just got a shirt which says "if you haven't risked coming home under the flag (American) don't you dare disrespect it."

Thanks for your service.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Like watching the National Felon League?  I just got a shirt which says "if you haven't risked coming home under the flag (American) don't you dare disrespect it."

Thanks for your service.

You are VERY welcome!  I was more than happy to do it!  888high58888

- J. R. R. Tolkien