Author Topic: Yemen conflict: UN official warns of world's biggest famine  (Read 575 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Yemen conflict: UN official warns of world's biggest famine
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:50 pm »
Yemen conflict: UN official warns of world's biggest famine
    9 November 2017
    From the section Middle East

Yemen faces the world's largest famine in decades "with millions of victims" if aid deliveries are not resumed, a senior UN official has warned.

Mark Lowcock, the UN under-secretary general for humanitarian affairs, urged the Saudi-led coalition to lift its blockade of the conflict-torn country.

On Monday, the coalition shut air, land and sea routes into Yemen after Houthi rebels fired a missile at Riyadh.

Read more at: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41923769

If one is interested, a lot is in the news on this potential famine.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Yemen conflict: UN official warns of world's biggest famine
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 11:18:53 pm »
The blockade just recently started, but the problems in Yemen have been going on for months.  From a Reuters story posted today.....

After two years of civil war, Yemen has 7 million people on the brink of famine and has had 900,000 suspected cholera cases in the past six months.

Much of the problems in Yemen can be attributed to the Houthis and alliance with Iran.  I hate to be put in the position of defending the Saudis, but they're not the cause of famine and disease in Yemen.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 02:15:38 am »
World's biggest famine? What happened in Russia, a diet? Estimates of deaths range from 5 to 8 million, I'd figure that holds the record for actually being the world's biggest famine.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 10:23:23 pm »
World's biggest famine? What happened in Russia, a diet? Estimates of deaths range from 5 to 8 million, I'd figure that holds the record for actually being the world's biggest famine.

In fairness, they did say the largest in decades, but much of the current suffering in Yemen is due to the internal conflict.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.