Author Topic: Santorum: GOP loss in Virginia is Trump’s fault  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Concerned

Re: Santorum: GOP loss in Virginia is Trump’s fault
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »
Santorum is partly correct.  Trump may not like it, but schmoozing the senate is part of his job.  He has spent far more time picking fights with allies.  A seasoned politician would convince a few vulnerable Democrats to cooperate.  Nope, he just keeps punching himself in the face.

Exactly right!  I think a lack of legislative achievements is going to plague Trump his entire political life (in fact, it might just get worse before it gets better).  A good dealmaker/negotiator finds a creative way to cajole, persuade, trade-off with, or otherwise constructively deal with the people they’re negotiating with.  That’s what LBJ, Reagan, and Clinton did at various times.  I’ve seen no evidence that President Trump has any of these traits.  His primary negotiating/deal-making trait seems to be being a bully by attacking members of his own party.  Not surprising, that’s not treating him very well legislatively. 
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:38:40 pm by Concerned »
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 09:29:54 pm »
Dick couldn't even carry the state when he ran for President. That's why he lives in VA.

It seems like a lot of former congress critters end up settling in Virginia.   What is so bad about going back home to their own states?   

Something funny going on in Washington DC. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 09:32:10 pm »

Once upon a time Trump was a Democrat.

Or is that a fairy tale ??

Offline KingsX

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 09:35:01 pm »

GOP will continue to lose until they start keeping the promises made in 2016.

When candidate Trump first proposed tax reform, he touted  $25,000 single/$50,000 married standard deductions, his lowest tax rate remained at 10% [while the income bracket for that 10% greatly increased] and a 15% business tax rate.  That was when I first paid attention to the possibility that Trump's "tax reform" might be a good thing.

But that was only the BAIT and it has long since bit the dust.

Now we have the GOP SWITCH, a Frankenstein tax monster that hurts many poor and middle-class taxpayers and will destroy its own GOP creators.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 09:42:29 pm »
When you have losing to a lisping moron like Boob Casey under your belt along with blowing two Presidential primaries, your opinion isn't worth a bucket of spit.

Santorum annoyed everyone with his "look at me -- I'm pro-life -- I have a dozen kids" (or however many he has).  He turned off everyone -- even the most conservative voters.  Sorry, Rick, knocking up the wife multiple times doesn't make you special.   

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 09:44:16 pm »

It seems like a lot of former congress critters end up settling in Virginia.   What is so bad about going back home to their own states?   

Something funny going on in Washington DC.

There's something money going on in Washington D.C.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 09:51:44 pm »
Dick couldn't even carry the state when he ran for President. That's why he lives in VA.

I like Santorum.  I was on board with him big time back in 2012, earning my very first TOS ban in the process.  But when the Virginia primary rolled around, it galled me to no end that Santorum's name wasn't on the ballot in his home state.  Great message, but lousy organizational skills.

Having said that, the loss in Virginia had zero to do with Trump.  It is a Virginia race which at one time use to be run by Virginians.  Maybe Santorum should have run for governor himself instead of letting the state party pick some Beltway establishment hack from New Jersey.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline KingsX

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 09:52:00 pm »

There's something money going on in Washington D.C.

I thought Trump was going to drain that swamp not give it a tax cut.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 09:55:13 pm »
Trump drain the swamp?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline KingsX

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 10:16:09 pm »

The irony is.... "draining the swamp"  is similar to how Cyrus conquered Babylon.

Cyrus' troops had dug canals.  Then on the night of Babylon's festival while the Babylonians were partying drunk in the streets...  Cyrus' troops diverted the water from the Euphrates River at Babylon, so they could secretly enter the city by going under Babylon's great wall that was too strong to overtly breach.  Cyrus' troops pretended to be fellow Babylonians while they made their way undetected along the city streets to the palace.

Offline endicom

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 10:30:45 pm »
...if there's a message for Republicans they better get that message and they better start passing stuff and looking like they can govern."

Can't argue with that part.