Author Topic: Menendez could remain in Senate even if he's convicted  (Read 327 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Menendez could remain in Senate even if he's convicted
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:48:40 pm »

Menendez could remain in Senate even if he's convicted

Republicans would likely try to expel the New Jersey lawmaker, but Democrats are expected to delay.

By JOHN BRESNAHAN

11/06/2017 05:22 AM EST

As the bribery case against Sen. Bob Menendez concludes, Senate Democrats could face a stark question — how long will they stick by the New Jersey Democrat if he’s convicted?

Menendez’s lawyers have a final chance Monday in their closing arguments to persuade the jury hearing his case in Newark that the veteran lawmaker is not guilty.

With Menendez's fate likely to be decided within days, Democrats are already quietly strategizing on how to respond if he's found guilty. They will be in no rush to expel or force Menendez out of office, even if a Democrat wins the New Jersey gubernatorial race, according to several Democratic senators and aides.

more
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/06/robert-menendez-trial-senate-jury-244581
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Menendez could remain in Senate even if he's convicted
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 03:07:52 pm »
need to remove the 17th amendment so the people of the state can regain their power.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Menendez could remain in Senate even if he's convicted
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:25:35 pm »
I wouldn't put the cart before the horse, I think there's a good chance, Menendez won't be found guilty.  I think Menendez is targeted because he is conservative on foreign policy, this goes back to the Obama administration.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:35:40 pm by TomSea »