Author Topic: Just 6 Commandments? Christians feel 4 no longer important - Joe Kovacs, WND  (Read 547 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Graph at end of excerpt cuts to chase of what Commandments "some" "Christians" might omit.

Just 6 Commandments? Christians feel 4 no longer important
Joe Kovacs

In a famous scene from “History of the World: Part I,” Mel Brooks portrays Moses descending Mount Sinai carrying three stone tablets after receiving God’s laws.

Moses then proclaims to the people: “The Lord Jehovah has given unto you these fifteen …”

He then accidentally drops and shatters one of the tablets, and declares: “Oy … ten! TEN Commandments! For all to obey!”

Read more at: http://www.wnd.com/2017/10/just-6-commandments-christians-feel-4-no-longer-important/

Offline the_doc

All but one of the commandments in the Decalogue are reiterated in the New Testament.  The only one not specifically reiterated in the New Testament is the Fourth Commandment.  That commandment, the Sabbath Commandment, was typological/symbolic and was fulfilled in the gospel of justification by faith apart from works. Christians are supposed to rest in Christ--the Person Who is our Sabbath, as it were.

Online roamer_1

All but one of the commandments in the Decalogue are reiterated in the New Testament.  The only one not specifically reiterated in the New Testament is the Fourth Commandment.  That commandment, the Sabbath Commandment, was typological/symbolic and was fulfilled in the gospel of justification by faith apart from works. Christians are supposed to rest in Christ--the Person Who is our Sabbath, as it were.

You'd best study on that...Yeshua and all of the disciples kept Sabbath and all of the Holy Days, as did the Early Church.

Torah cannot be changed not a jot or tittle

Offline the_doc

You'd best study on that...Yeshua and all of the disciples kept Sabbath and all of the Holy Days, as did the Early Church.

Torah cannot be changed not a jot or tittle

Whatever you say, but the New Testament Scriptures do not reiterate the Fourth Commandment.  The significance of this has often been confusing to many folks who profess faith in Christ--especially in the early Church before the majority of Christians were converted Gentiles.  That's not something that I would fight over with another genuine believer. 

(I do love bacon.)  :laugh:   

Online roamer_1

Whatever you say, but the New Testament Scriptures do not reiterate the Fourth Commandment.  The significance of this has often been confusing to many folks who profess faith in Christ--especially in the early Church before the majority of Christians were converted Gentiles.  That's not something that I would fight over with another genuine believer. 

(I do love bacon.)  :laugh:   

I do not fight you, @the_doc , rather the doctrines and dogmas that cause confusion. Confusion is lawlessness. Confusion IS Babylon.

The more a church is permissive, the more it is lawless (iniquity, antinomian), and if that is the right path, then the liberal church is finally right.

The fight moves inexorably to a final end, with but two sides. A time for choosing.

But, this is becoming a religious debate, and in accordance with the rule, I'll invite you to continue by PM or let's leave it be.

Offline andy58-in-nh

I somehow doubt that God intended us to subject the truth of His laws to the tides of popularity.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Interestingly, six of the seven that do not pertain directly to God, most people still recognize, despite Europe's long-documented slide toward secularism and rejecting God (which explains why most Britons reject the three directly pertaining to Him). The only exception is the sabbath (to paraphrase it, the notion of if you work six days, take one off), which gets even worse ratings than the ones pertaining to God. If you want a shining example of Western society's slide toward a 24/7/365 workaholic society, that's the perfect example.

And we wonder why we're wearing ourselves out.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

If you want a shining example of Western society's slide toward a 24/7/365 workaholic society, that's the perfect example.

And we wonder why we're wearing ourselves out.

Funny that, because one of the ancient aspects of Sabbath is that only a free people have a day off.
You can read into that whatever you wish :)

Offline Mom MD

Graph at end of excerpt cuts to chase of what Commandments "some" "Christians" might omit.

If they feel Gods Law is optional, they are not Christians
God is still in control

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I'll also note, though, that they framed these a little too specifically. The Bible does not specify Sunday be the only sabbath; that was a day the early Christians chose to segregate from the Jews that did sabbath Friday night to Saturday afternoon. Also, "using the Lord's name in vain" is interpreted oddly (I was more under the position that it should not be used for frivolous—or worse, sinful—purposes, particularly to compare oneself to God) and they associate the Second Commandment with "the Christian God" even though it pre-existed Christianity.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024