Author Topic: GOP Sen. Ben Sasse Blasts Roy Moore, Condemns ‘White Backlash Grievance’ on the Right  (Read 13981 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
If we add the figures, we find that the entire Inquisition of 500 years, caused about 6,000 deaths. These atrocities are completely inexcusable. These numbers are however, a far cry from the those used in the popular press by people who are always looking to destroy the Church. This is about 20% of the number of war related deaths that have occurred in Afghanistan and Iraq in the 2 years since the US responded to 9/11.

http://www.catholicbridge.com/catholic/inquisition.php

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Boy, what a genocide.

Also, if the Government of France invaded an area, the King and the royalty was often who was responsible, not the Catholic Church.

Many Catholics were burned at the stake too or beheaded, that's what they did in those days.

Look at the King of England, Thomas Moore and so on. This is real history but it shouldn't be in this section.
Executions or imprisonment were the province of the civil authorities or the mobs, but the Church was forbidden to execute anyone. That was done by the civil government.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DiogenesLamp

If we add the figures, we find that the entire Inquisition of 500 years, caused about 6,000 deaths. These atrocities are completely inexcusable. These numbers are however, a far cry from the those used in the popular press by people who are always looking to destroy the Church. This is about 20% of the number of war related deaths that have occurred in Afghanistan and Iraq in the 2 years since the US responded to 9/11.

Every time I get into a discussion with people who think that it is better to have an Atheistic or Secular form of government,  I point out that the Inquisition killed some thousands of people over a 500 year period,  while Atheistic governments like Stalin and Mao did 100 million in just a few decades.   

The body count for atheism is much larger than that of Christianity.  Only Islam has a body count that rivals Atheism.   
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Every time I get into a discussion with people who think that it is better to have an Atheistic or Secular form of government,  I point out that the Inquisition killed some thousands of people over a 500 year period,  while Atheistic governments like Stalin and Mao did 100 million in just a few decades.   

The body count for atheism is much larger than that of Christianity.  Only Islam has a body count that rivals Atheism.

I agree with you.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
I agree with you.

Ditto.

And unlike Islam, it was almost always some fanatic within the Church Bureaucracy/Big Govt. that set to killing people, not the day to day practitioners.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
@To-Whose-Benefit?

I've never heard that ZZ Top song---love it!

@CatherineofAragon

Great. One of my fav albums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VW7Luzsl6Y&t=1048s

In 1990 digital sampling keyboards were still pretty new.

ZZ had the money, so they tried everything.

According to the Reverend Gibbons, "We're just a blues band, what do we know?"

They took high end field recorders (tape) to junkyards and recorded themselves slamming old Cadillac and Lincoln doors and trunks.

Then back at the studio, fed the recordings into the digital samplers and set up electronic triggers on the drums so that whenever a drum was struck, the trigger sent a play mssg to the recorded Trunk and Door slams, printing them to tape.

Then added EQ, Compression, Delay etc into the drum mix, and that's supposed to what you're hearing on the record.

The drum sounds were replaced by junkyard trunk slams.

My ear tells me they didn't get All of them, but I can hear it here and there on the lower end stuff.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:06:27 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Let's see who feeds millions every day and has for centuries, The haters?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Let's see who feeds millions every day and has for centuries, The haters?

What "haters"?   Why is it "hate" to criticize a judge who was fired twice for ignoring court rulings?   Why is it "hate" to expect Christians to follow the law just like everyone else?   Why is it "hate" to understand that the Establishment Clause establishes a wall of separation between government and religion?   

What Christians face in this country isn't discrimination and isn't "hate" (a word that liberals toss around like confetti).  They are the majority religion and over 90% of the members of Congress say they're Christian.   Compared to Europe,  Americans profess religious faith - that that means Christianity - in overwhelming numbers.   In America, in 2017, Christians never had it so good.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

What "haters"?   Why is it "hate" to criticize a judge who was fired twice for ignoring court rulings?   Why is it "hate" to expect Christians to follow the law just like everyone else?   Why is it "hate" to understand that the Establishment Clause establishes a wall of separation between government and religion?   

What Christians face in this country isn't discrimination and isn't "hate" (a word that liberals toss around like confetti).  They are the majority religion and over 90% of the members of Congress say they're Christian.   Compared to Europe,  Americans profess religious faith - that that means Christianity - in overwhelming numbers.   In America, in 2017, Christians never had it so good.   
Yeah, like Harvey was handing out acting opportunities to those who stuck to their faith.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
"What "haters"?   Why is it "hate" to criticize a judge who was fired twice for ignoring court rulings?"

Because you're coming from a position of proven ignorance on the law...and the fact that Judge Moore was upholding the originalist text of the 1st Amendment.

Two things that constantly fly over your head like a 747-800.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
"What "haters"?   Why is it "hate" to criticize a judge who was fired twice for ignoring court rulings?"

Because you're coming from a position of proven ignorance on the law...and the fact that Judge Moore was upholding the originalist text of the 1st Amendment.

I wouldn't care about the fly-bys as much if the fellow didn't constantly trash-talk fellow Briefers.  I've lost count of how many names he's called me or @INVAR.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

What "originalist text"?   The Establishment Clause, even under a reading which doesn't call for a wall of separation, provides that the state cannot endorse religion.  A stone monument listing the Ten Commandments, including the jealous-God ones,  standing in a court of justice is quite reasonably an illegal endorsement of religion.   Moore was in fact removed twice from office for showing his contempt for the rule of law.

Now that's certainly my opinion,  and one that is widely shared.   But how does such opinion qualify as "hate"?    Conservatives these days whine as much or more as liberals do.    *****rollingeyes*****   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I wouldn't care about the fly-bys as much if the fellow didn't constantly trash-talk fellow Briefers.  I've lost count of how many names he's called me or @INVAR.

"You're not the Pope of this dump"
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Frank Cannon

I can't imagine he has called you more names than I have.....you stumble bum dumb sombitch.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I can't imagine he has called you more names than I have.....you stumble bum dumb sombitch.

I don't mind when you or Roos do it because I know it's out of love....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"You're not the Pope of this dump"

I immediately thought of the coffee scene from The Pope Of Greenwich Village, with Mickey Rourke as 'Charlie' and Burt Young as 'Bed Bug Eddie'.

Great movie, btw.   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087932/ 
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

I don't mind when you or Roos do it because I know it's out of love....

Love? Maybe from me, but a hard ass like @RoosGirl doesn't even know the word.

Offline Smokin Joe

What "originalist text"?   The Establishment Clause, even under a reading which doesn't call for a wall of separation, provides that the state cannot endorse religion.  A stone monument listing the Ten Commandments, including the jealous-God ones,  standing in a court of justice is quite reasonably an illegal endorsement of religion.   Moore was in fact removed twice from office for showing his contempt for the rule of law.

Now that's certainly my opinion,  and one that is widely shared.   But how does such opinion qualify as "hate"?    Conservatives these days whine as much or more as liberals do.    *****rollingeyes*****
The text provides the State cannot endorse A religion over others. By some estimates, there are thousands of Christian sects, and at least seven major ones. None of which have been endorsed over the other, nor has any other religion been endorsed.

But, as I have pointed out, the Decalogue is common to not only Christianity but Judaism as well, and by no means an exhaustive list of the sectarian rules which abound in Christianity nor a complete listing of Jewish Law, so the monument to the first widely acknowledged code of law in the Western Heritage that does not involve doing violence for violence (that was Hammurabi), is acceptable as not only a basic code of law, but the fundament upon which rest our Statutes: a monument to an historical milestone.

Or would you repeal those pesky Christian laws which prohibit murder, theft, adultery, and such, because those have a religious basis?

If we can live with them from the State, then certainly, we can live with them from religion.

There is no Constitutional Right to be free from Religion, only that the State will not make one religion official, not require a religious test for office, and not interfere with the free exercise thereof.

Any time the atheists and agnostics want to put up a monument to their religion, they can, as far as I am concerned, as soon as they figure out how they would memorialize nothing.

We may all walk past monuments we find offensive, for whatever reason. I am not a fan of enshrining a Communist on the Mall just because he got shot. I can't really demand the removal of that monument, but I will cheer the productive pigeons which alight there. Perhaps those who preach diversity and tolerance should practice it.

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

Love? Maybe from me, but a hard ass like @RoosGirl doesn't even know the word.

@Frank Cannon There are some things I do love, but people aren't things, are they?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The text provides the State cannot endorse A religion over others. By some estimates, there are thousands of Christian sects, and at least seven major ones. None of which have been endorsed over the other, nor has any other religion been endorsed.

But, as I have pointed out, the Decalogue is common to not only Christianity but Judaism as well, and by no means an exhaustive list of the sectarian rules which abound in Christianity nor a complete listing of Jewish Law, so the monument to the first widely acknowledged code of law in the Western Heritage that does not involve doing violence for violence (that was Hammurabi), is acceptable as not only a basic code of law, but the fundament upon which rest our Statutes: a monument to an historical milestone.

Or would you repeal those pesky Christian laws which prohibit murder, theft, adultery, and such, because those have a religious basis?

If we can live with them from the State, then certainly, we can live with them from religion.

There is no Constitutional Right to be free from Religion, only that the State will not make one religion official, not require a religious test for office, and not interfere with the free exercise thereof.

Any time the atheists and agnostics want to put up a monument to their religion, they can, as far as I am concerned, as soon as they figure out how they would memorialize nothing.

We may all walk past monuments we find offensive, for whatever reason. I am not a fan of enshrining a Communist on the Mall just because he got shot. I can't really demand the removal of that monument, but I will cheer the productive pigeons which alight there. Perhaps those who preach diversity and tolerance should practice it.

Once one realizes "Atheism" is a sect unto itself, complete with a dogma, things start to fall into place when trying to understand the motivation and urge to proselytize.
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

spot on.

What he calls 'law' is a court opinion which any lawyer or educated citizen recognizes as not law but simply an opinion.

A law is ONLY what is within the Constitution verbatim or is passed under the Constitution via approval by Congress.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
spot on.

What he calls 'law' is a court opinion which any lawyer or educated citizen recognizes as not law but simply an opinion.

A law is ONLY what is within the Constitution verbatim or is passed under the Constitution via approval by Congress.

When he stops liking the opinions that come out of the courts, he'll "discover" original intent, and Stare Decisis.
I will NOT comply.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I immediately thought of the coffee scene from The Pope Of Greenwich Village, with Mickey Rourke as 'Charlie' and Burt Young as 'Bed Bug Eddie'.

Great movie, btw.   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087932/

Been a long time since I've seen that one.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Absolutely incorrect.   Read the establishment clause.  It is far broader than an admonition against a state religion.  It says that Congress shall pass NO LAW respecting an establishment of religion.   Not just the official religion - ANY religion.   No endorsement of religion.   No subsidization of religion.  ANY religion.   

You've pulled your "originalist" take of the Constitution out of your ass.   I doubt you can find any court decision that limits the establishment clause to prohibiting an "official" religion.   On the other thread,  I kept citing the Everson case,  not for its ruling per se but because of its scholarly examination of the Founders' original intent.   It proves that the establishment clause was rooted not in the Founders' lack of religious faith, but in their fear of religious tribalism and its tyrannies.   Yes, there is a free market for religion in this country - but it is one in which the government cannot and must not take sides.   

A monument in a court of law proclaiming that one "shall have no other gods before the one true God" is unconstitutional,  and Roy Moore's contempt for the Constitution renders him unfit to serve.

Right on, Ben Sasse.       
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:24:14 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Well, perhaps those lawyers and citizens who gained their "education" from a Cracker Jack box. *****rollingeyes*****