Author Topic: CONGRESSIONAL REPORT: NORTH KOREAN EMP ATTACK WOULD CAUSE MASS U.S. STARVATION  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
To be fair, Graham debunks a few of those myths.

But whether by satellite or missile, the Norks aren't going to shut us down anytime soon. 

Should we be hardening more than we are?  Yes.  But this whole House push is an effort to get taxpayers to pay for upgrades that others should be doing as operating expenses.

I like that ... the Norks.  Any kin to the Borg?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline roamer_1

I'm guessing that's on the Big Island??

I think so. I don't remember which.  :shrug:

Offline stephen50right

EMP facts have been around for decades.

I've seen more and more news stories about this recently, and it's good to see the American people finally becoming aware of the dangers which are absolutely real.

It's not just about stocking up on food and water for a few days. Your electricity could potentially be out for months, in some areas possibly years. What about if it happens in the winter time? You could freeze to death in your own house. What about if your neighbor comes violently knocking on your door, demanding that you share your provisions? There may be roving gangs who used to be friendly people, from other neighborhoods, looking for sustenance for themselves and their families, and they are more than willing to take it from you by any means necessary. How are you going to counter all of that? What about your prescription medicine? You'd better know what a workable substitute may be. And there's a lot more that goes into successful survival of an EMP.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
That's kinda true.  Maybe not actually kill ourselves but go into a deep depression. 

My phone still worked during our blackout so I didn't have to face that.

I am not only an idiot, I am a Luddite. It isn't so much that I don't like tech. I was raised in a manner not to give trust to outside influences. My son got his elk two weeks ago, and mine, and my wife's  :nometalk: And this past weekend got his deer, a fine fat 3 point Muley. Taking stock of perishables and not so perishables showed me we lack some things. Less than a two year supply, but easily remedied with at least one or two good overtime paychecks. At best, we have a 6-7 month supply of food. Potable water is a different story, but I live within a half mile, maybe less, of the Snake River (Idaho). So do all of my neighbors,. My point being, not so much how I would ration food, but I would assist on water availability.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

I live within a half mile, maybe less, of the Snake River (Idaho). So do all of my neighbors,.

:silly:

Funny how that worked out, ain't it?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@Emjay

OK, if you are an apartment dweller, I guess a generator wouldn't do you much, but if you own your own home... It really isn't that big an investment (get one than runs on kerosene too, and keep a couple drums around)... And a fire pit or outdoor kitchen would be a piece of cake where you live - I know because a buddy of mine works there in the winter, and lives in a hut in the woods, and eats free pig all winter long)

And a solar oven.  The ability to simply boil water with no fuel whatsoever is priceless.

If I didn't have a pool (and/or a few hundred gallons of captured rainwater) and enough chlorine to purify my drinking water for the rest of my life (one way or the other?), I'd build a little still to boil water in and capture the steam

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline ConservativeGranny

Some would die. But they are underestimating how resourceful and tough many Americans still are. Our ancestors survived 200 years ago without cell phones, tvs and electricity. They crossed the entire nation with only a rifle and a wagon.

The elderly, the ill, those are the ones that will be vulnerable and of course those that just cannot take care of themselves.  The biggest danger would be the snowflakes that will try to steal your food. That is another reason why you need the rifle:)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
So many good survival suggestions posted.

The main danger we might face here would be a hurricane.  Or a tsunami.  There are sirens that go off warning us to go to high ground.

:amen:   IMHO it is foolish to live in these times without a little back up food, water, and money. We probably have 3-4 months of food on hand, 50 gallons of water and a way to purify water, lots of books, puzzles, some board games, 2 different types of stoves to heat water and food, extra things like toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, bleach, bandages, etc., etc.  The initial reason behind stockpiling a bit came from hurricane preparedness, but we've continued to add a little bit at a time due to the fact that we live in extremely uncertain times.

Other than perhaps the bandages, you're going to use that stuff anyway (and I'd argue that it's better to have bandages you don't use, than not).  Why not save money buying in bulk, never run out because you forgot to pick something up at the last minute, and in the extremely unlikely event that you really, really need it, have it on hand?

I don't get these people who rush to the stores when a storm is coming.  Why not just keep some extras in the pantry in the first place?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline roamer_1

And a solar oven.  The ability to simply boil water with no fuel whatsoever is priceless.

If I didn't have a pool (and/or a few hundred gallons of captured rainwater) and enough chlorine to purify my drinking water for the rest of my life (one way or the other?), I'd build a little still to boil water in and capture the steam

:shrug: Different strokes... I live in the woods. heat ain't more than a pickup load of wood away, And I have never lived anywhere without a creek out back... And the creek here is clear water. When the power goes out, I have a yoke to carry 2 fives, and I can walk 20 gallons up here in about 10 minutes. I can drink it like it is in a pinch, but I have steel fives here to boil with out on the fire pit.

So what you have as problems, aren't a problem at all for me.

But it's all good. The thing is to think about the things you need where you're at. I'd imagine desert folks have different concerns from swamp folks, where it's different from the plains, and that different from up here.

Whatever it is, if you need to secure three months of it, bare minimum, it better get done.

I've seen those solar ovens, but they are pretty much a novelty up here. They work good in the summer, but in the winter, you'd starve waiting for sun...

Offline Suppressed

Yeah, I know.  I'm a sissy here on Maui.  It never gets cold and it almost never rains in Kihei.

I've been complacent and I have a feeling I will continue to be.

But it really surprised me how lost the whole town felt without power even for a few hours.

I hope the people posting here saying that this cannot happen are right.

Entire Island of Maui Loses Power as Severe Storms Pound Hawaii
By Chris Dolce | 22 hours ago | weather.com
https://weather.com/news/news/2017-10-24-hawaii-severe-storms-flooding-maui-power-outage

• Severe thunderstorm winds knocked out power in Maui early Tuesday morning.
  • One person has been injured in the storms.
  • A so-called Kona low is responsible for the stormy weather.
[...]

I hope you're okay, @Emjay.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline stephen50right

Animal traps, very useful, especially for birds. Conserve ammunition.

Think ya wouldn't eat a sparrow if you were staving to death? You might even eat the bones.

Offline Suppressed

I have a thought that 90% of people who can't live without their effing phones would kill themselves before they died of actual starvation. Which is 90% of people.

Makes sense.  There's really not a reason to go on, at that point.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Entire Island of Maui Loses Power as Severe Storms Pound Hawaii
By Chris Dolce | 22 hours ago | weather.com
https://weather.com/news/news/2017-10-24-hawaii-severe-storms-flooding-maui-power-outage

• Severe thunderstorm winds knocked out power in Maui early Tuesday morning.
  • One person has been injured in the storms.
  • A so-called Kona low is responsible for the stormy weather.
[...]

I hope you're okay, @Emjay.

Thanks, Suppressed.  I'm fine.

Darn Kona Low.

I didn't realize the whole Island was affected but my daughter went all the way over to her school, Kamehameha, which is on the other side of the Island, only to find it dark and closed.

So she happily came back and put on shorts and, by that time, the power was back on.  Gotta say, the power company people here did a good job.

Offline Suppressed

Thanks, Suppressed.  I'm fine.

:hands:

And you probably didn't even have to break out the tins of Vienna sausages!
+++++++++

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
:hands:

And you probably didn't even have to break out the tins of Vienna sausages!

No, but I did check out the shelves at Safeway after someone mentioned the omnipresence of Spam here in Hawaii.

That person was actually right.  There is a heck of a lot of shelf space devoted to Spam here and Spam is cheap.

Offline Fantom

The silver lining is, that it would clear out the dead weight. Like a wildfire clearing the debris...maybe a very good thing.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I really hate these headlines that are misleading and seek to influence you.

This was NOT a congressional report, which the headline implies it is from a congressional committee.  Instead, as seen in the article itself, it was a report TO a committee, so it is not necessarily accepted by Congress, which could reject it as it could be of dubious nature.  In fact, the article even points out experts who said it was hyperventilating.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

This was NOT a congressional report, which the headline implies it is from a congressional committee.  Instead, as seen in the article itself, it was a report TO a committee, so it is not necessarily accepted by Congress, which could reject it as it could be of dubious nature.  In fact, the article even points out experts who said it was hyperventilating.

I hate misleading and over-dramatic headlines also.  We see it constantly on Yahoo and Facebook.

So, sorry about that.

I ALWAYS FIGURE ANYTHING IN ALL CAPS IS NONSENSE.