Author Topic: CONGRESSIONAL REPORT: NORTH KOREAN EMP ATTACK WOULD CAUSE MASS U.S. STARVATION  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Given the rising tensions between the United States and North Korea, much talk has centered around the the possibility of nuclear war.

However, experts believe there is another threat Americans need to be worried about.

According to a report presented earlier this month to a House Homeland Security subcommittee, North Korea could do far more damage to the populace with an electromagnetic pulse attack that could disable the electric grid.

An estimated 90 percent of the U.S. population could be wiped out by an EMP, which doesn’t have to re-enter the Earth’s atmosphere in order to be effective.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
We got a taste of this horror in Kihei this morning.

Before dawn, The Machine Stopped.

Remember the Sci Fi story.

We are almost that dependent. 

The only connection I had to the world or humanity was my iPhone and my next-door neighbors lost even that.

I couldn't do anything.  I was worried about my freezer ... I had just stocked it yesterday.

I realized I cannot entertain myself.  No TV, no Internet, no radio, no cooking, no nothing.

The only good thing was my dentist office lost power also.  It was out all over Kihei.

Really, I promise you.  It is scary.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Garbage. EMP has been tried before and it didn't create havoc
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Suppressed

The posted article is very skimpy on details.  They are probably referencing this:
http://docs.house.gov/meetings/HM/HM09/20171012/106467/HHRG-115-HM09-Wstate-PryP-20171012.pdf

Note that it's pretty much a rehash of previous publication (e.g.,
http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/detail/north-korea-nuclear-emp-attack-an-existential-threat?f=puball)

It's critiquing Jack Liu's article here: http://www.38north.org/2017/05/jliu050517/

But Graham doesn't give sources for things like its claim that Kilometers Radius = 110*(Kilometers Burst Height)0.5.   That's ridiculous, to claim that the size of the bomb (i.e., TNT equivalent, or "megatonnage") doesn't matter.

Take these House subcommittee things with a whole cellar of salt.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Garbage. EMP has been tried before and it didn't create havoc

To be fair, Graham debunks a few of those myths.

But whether by satellite or missile, the Norks aren't going to shut us down anytime soon. 

Should we be hardening more than we are?  Yes.  But this whole House push is an effort to get taxpayers to pay for upgrades that others should be doing as operating expenses.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline roamer_1

We got a taste of this horror in Kihei this morning.

Before dawn, The Machine Stopped.
[...]
Really, I promise you.  It is scary.

@Emjay

Here it is not unheard of to lose power, and maybe for days.
I might suggest a bit of down-home country prepping might be in order for you...
I am not a proper 'prepper' beyond what the country life calls normal, but I can and have lived almost two years on the food I have right here in the house... I have a generator that will keep my freezer and fridge for days if not weeks... I have candles and kerosene lamps... I have a wood stove to provide heat and rudimentary cooking... And I still retain, not only a fairly vast library of digital movies and whole TV series, but also a fairly large library of books for entertainment.

And for us, the power is most likely to leave in the worst of winter, in sub-zero temps... Maybe that is why we do not grow complacent and system dependent...  :shrug:

Offline DiogenesLamp

CONGRESSIONAL REPORT: NORTH KOREAN EMP ATTACK WOULD CAUSE MASS U.S. STARVATION

No we wouldn't.   
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:01:58 pm by DiogenesLamp »
‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Emjay

I might suggest a bit of down-home country prepping might be in order for you...
I am not a proper 'prepper' beyond what the country life calls normal, but I can and have lived almost two years on the food I have right here in the house... I have a generator that will keep my freezer and fridge for days if not weeks... I have candles and kerosene lamps... I have a wood stove to provide heat and rudimentary cooking... And I still retain, not only a fairly vast library of digital movies and whole TV series, but also a fairly large library of books for entertainment.

And for us, the power is most likely to leave in the worst of winter, in sub-zero temps... Maybe that is why we do not grow complacent and system dependent...  :shrug:

Yeah, I know.  I'm a sissy here on Maui.  It never gets cold and it almost never rains in Kihei.

I've been complacent and I have a feeling I will continue to be.

But it really surprised me how lost the whole town felt without power even for a few hours.

I hope the people posting here saying that this cannot happen are right.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Emjay

Well ... I did have a flashlight.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
@Emjay

:amen:   IMHO it is foolish to live in these times without a little back up food, water, and money. We probably have 3-4 months of food on hand, 50 gallons of water and a way to purify water, lots of books, puzzles, some board games, 2 different types of stoves to heat water and food, extra things like toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, bleach, bandages, etc., etc.  The initial reason behind stockpiling a bit came from hurricane preparedness, but we've continued to add a little bit at a time due to the fact that we live in extremely uncertain times.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

Yeah, I know.  I'm a sissy here on Maui.  It never gets cold and it almost never rains in Kihei.

I've been complacent and I have a feeling I will continue to be.

@Emjay
But you needn't be. Buy a case of something every time you go to the store. That's what I do (with what doesn't come out of the garden or woods) - Canned goods are surprisingly cheap, and you can build a helluva pantry for hardly no money... and then it is just a matter of rotating through it...

Again, candles are cheap... I buy whole flats of those little potpourri candles ... I must have thousands of em by now... Drop one of them in the bottom of a quart jar and have hours of light.. and once you own and can operate kerosene lanterns, have you any idea how long a 35 gal drum of kerosene will last running a couple of lanterns?

OK, if you are an apartment dweller, I guess a generator wouldn't do you much, but if you own your own home... It really isn't that big an investment (get one than runs on kerosene too, and keep a couple drums around)... And a fire pit or outdoor kitchen would be a piece of cake where you live - I know because a buddy of mine works there in the winter, and lives in a hut in the woods, and eats free pig all winter long)

I hope the people posting here saying that this cannot happen are right.

Oh, they're right, alright - on the grand scale. But y'all live where that fruit loop is likely to detonate - and in the small scale of your island, YES, an EMP can do vital damage.

Be ready. Not a bad way to live (no different than a lot of us do)... And believe me, there's comfort in it when the lights DO go out, and there ain't no food at the store. That doesn't have to be an EMP... Just the next nasty storm will prove the point :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:27:12 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

:amen:   IMHO it is foolish to live in these times without a little back up food, water, and money. We probably have 3-4 months of food on hand, 50 gallons of water and a way to purify water, lots of books, puzzles, some board games, 2 different types of stoves to heat water and food, extra things like toilet paper, paper towels, garbage bags, bleach, bandages, etc., etc.  The initial reason behind stockpiling a bit came from hurricane preparedness, but we've continued to add a little bit at a time due to the fact that we live in extremely uncertain times.

Brava Sister! I would only edit your statement to say:
IMHO it is foolish to live in these ANY times without a little back up food, water, and money.

Plan for rain. It's gonna rain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
To knock out the entire US grid, they’d need much better guidance and a lot more yield than they’re  currently capable of delivering.  Whatever they launch is going to be tracked and engaged by the MDA systems in CA and AK.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Ok...so their projected targets are LA, Chicago and NY City -- all blue states!   :silly:

:silly:  No for Pete's sake I'm not serious ... just thought I'd throw that out there.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@Emjay
But you needn't be. Buy a case of something every time you go to the store. That's what I do (with what doesn't come out of the garden or woods) - Canned goods are surprisingly cheap, and you can build a helluva pantry for hardly no money... and then it is just a matter of rotating through it...

Again, candles are cheap... I buy whole flats of those little potpourri candles ... I must have thousands of em by now... Drop one of them in the bottom of a quart jar and have hours of light.. and once you own and can operate kerosene lanterns, have you any idea how long a 35 gal drum of kerosene will last running a couple of lanterns?

OK, if you are an apartment dweller, I guess a generator wouldn't do you much, but if you own your own home... It really isn't that big an investment (get one than runs on kerosene too, and keep a couple drums around)... And a fire pit or outdoor kitchen would be a piece of cake where you live - I know because a buddy of mine works there in the winter, and lives in a hut in the woods, and eats free pig all winter long)

Oh, they're right, alright - on the grand scale. But y'all live where that fruit loop is likely to detonate - and in the small scale of your island, YES, an EMP can do vital damage.

Be ready. Not a bad way to live (no different than a lot of us do)... And believe me, there's comfort in it when the lights DO go out, and there ain't no food at the store. That doesn't have to be an EMP... Just the next nasty storm will prove the point :)

Excellent ideas for everybody.  Thanks for posting.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Excellent ideas for everybody.  Thanks for posting.

Fishing gear, too.  You live on an island surrounded by protein sources.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

Fishing gear, too.  You live on an island surrounded by protein sources.

There's more wild pig on that island than they know what to do with.

I wasn;t kidding at all when I said my buddy goes over there in the winter and lives in a grass hut eating free pig.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
I have a thought that 90% of people who can't live without their effing phones would kill themselves before they died of actual starvation. Which is 90% of people.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Ok...so their projected targets are LA, Chicago and NY City -- all blue states!   :silly:

:silly:  No for Pete's sake I'm not serious ... just thought I'd throw that out there.

Now I have to ask?  Are you referring to places where there is population density, or places where the population is dense????
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
More fake news garbage posted by idiots.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

With a fake to the left and a fake to the right, you will in danger tonight.

You are a having for a bad days night. Thank you for leavnening it on the forum.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I have a thought that 90% of people who can't live without their effing phones would kill themselves before they died of actual starvation. Which is 90% of people.

That's kinda true.  Maybe not actually kill ourselves but go into a deep depression. 

My phone still worked during our blackout so I didn't have to face that.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Hey, I just threw it out there.  It's one of the first things I saw when I was able to get the computer on and it kinda hit a chord with me.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
There's more wild pig on that island than they know what to do with.

I wasn;t kidding at all when I said my buddy goes over there in the winter and lives in a grass hut eating free pig.

I'm guessing that's on the Big Island??