Author Topic: Kirkuk offensive: Thousands flee amid Iraq army advance  (Read 320 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Kirkuk offensive: Thousands flee amid Iraq army advance
« on: October 16, 2017, 11:27:07 am »
Kirkuk offensive: Thousands flee amid Iraq army advance
9 minutes ago

Thousands of people are leaving the Iraqi city of Kirkuk as the Iraqi army advanced on Kurdish military positions around the city.

Federal forces, backed by Shia militia, launched a major offensive over two fronts on Monday, aimed at retaking the Kurdish-held city.

Al Jazeera's Charles Stratford, reporting from the outskirts of Kirkuk, said an increasing number of Kirkuk residents were trying to flee.

Read more at: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/10/kirkuk-offensive-thousands-flee-iraq-army-advance-171016103540463.html

Offline Suppressed

Re: Kirkuk offensive: Thousands flee amid Iraq army advance
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:03:14 pm »
Oh, boy. This will be interesting.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: Kirkuk offensive: Thousands flee amid Iraq army advance
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 12:06:41 pm »
From Twitter:

The Associated Press @AP

BREAKING: US military says exchange of fire between Iraqi, Kurdish forces in Kirkuk a "misunderstanding."

7:55 AM · Oct 16, 2017

Misunderstanding??
More than a misunderstanding. We should make it crystal clear they should go after ISIS, not the Kurds.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn