Author Topic: Russia Breaks into US Soldiers' iPhones in Apparent Hybrid Warfare Attacks  (Read 567 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

BY JOSEPH TREVITHICK

The U.S. Army’s Asymmetric Warfare Group, tasked with finding ways to counter emerging threats, recently sounded the alarm about the dangers of Russia’s hybrid warfighting concepts and warned that the U.S. military as a whole may be ill-suited to respond to them in a crisis. Now, American troops and their NATO allies say they have been subjected to a campaign of surveillance and harassment via their cellphones, the internet, and social media, hallmarks of this so-called “Russian New Generation Warfare.”

On Oct. 4, 2017, The Wall Street Journal published a report detailing a number of cyber attacks and other electronic assaults on NATO forces stationed in the Baltic States of Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania, as well as Poland, all of whom are members of the alliance. U.S. officials and their allies all indicated that Russia was almost certainly behind the interference.
]
“It had a little Apple map, and in the center of the map was Moscow. It said, ‘Somebody is trying to access your iPhone,’” U.S. Army Lieutenant Colonel Christopher L’Heureux explained to The Journal about an attack on his cell phone. “They were geolocating me, whoever it was. I was like, ‘What the heck is this?’”

L’Heureux is presently in charge of the NATO battle group in Poland, a unit consisting of rotating troops from various alliance members. There are similar organizations in each one of the Baltic States as part of the alliance’s Enhanced Forward Presence concept aimed at deterring Russian aggression. The program is a direct response to Russia’s continued intervention in Ukraine and its revanchist foreign policy that has included a number of veiled threats against a countries along its western borders.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/14867/russia-breaks-into-us-soldiers-iphones-in-apparent-hybrid-warfare-attacks
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Online DB

Military personnel carrying smart phones wherever they go doesn't seem like a very good idea...

Apps and other software from who knows where... All with GPS, microphone and cameras...