Author Topic: Rand Paul criticizes GOP tax plan  (Read 1930 times)

Offline corbe

Rand Paul criticizes GOP tax plan
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:57:08 pm »
Rand Paul criticizes GOP tax plan

By Naomi Jagoda - 10/02/17 03:41 PM EDT

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) on Monday criticized the tax-reform framework released last week by Trump administration officials and congressional GOP leaders, after a think tank issued a report finding that many middle-class taxpayers could see their taxes go up.

"This is a GOP tax plan? Possibly 30% of middle class gets a tax hike? I hope the final details are better than this," Paul said in a tweet that included a link to the study from the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center (TPC).

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/353493-rand-paul-criticizes-gop-tax-plan

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Rand Paul criticizes GOP tax plan
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 08:02:19 pm »
I suspected as such when the details of their plans (both Trump's and GOP's) started getting released.  There's no way they can spend like they do and actually overhaul and/or lower taxes for anyone.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 08:04:51 pm »
It is worthy of contempt but not a subject for discussion today IMHO.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 08:05:25 pm »
   I've seen this Movie, too~obummercare rename/resuscitate v 4.0.   
   The GOP is worthless.

Constitution Party Ballot Access 2016

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 08:13:35 pm »
   I respect your thoughts @Bigun
   I was just hoping for some type of political diversion from this morass the Country finds itself in today.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 08:33:32 pm »
I don't want to talk about Las Vegas.  I have followed some of the discussion on that thread, but I have purposely not commented.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 08:39:49 pm »
Does Rand Paul have an alternative proposal for taxes? Or health care reform?

He seems to be an habitual contrarian, with unkempt hair*, and never much besides opposing things.

He got where he is, by virtue of his father's identity.

*who was the guy from Ohio? Democrat, crook, hairpiece?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »

He seems to be an habitual contrarian, with unkempt hair*, and never much besides opposing things.

He got where he is, by virtue of his father's identity.

*who was the guy from Ohio? Democrat, crook, hairpiece?

Why does he necessarily have to have a plan to point out where the current one being pushed by the GOP is wrong?

Offline corbe

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48:54 pm »
    Me too @RoosGirl
    I respect that people mourn in different ways and different lengths of time.
    The constant reminder, again, of the depravity some of us can reach and wreck such havoc on society leaves me feeling hopeless and I try to keep from feeling that way, the resulting depression affects me.
    I was groping in the dark for an escape by posting this.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 08:51:12 pm »
    Me too @RoosGirl
    I respect that people mourn in different ways and different lengths of time.
    The constant reminder, again, of the depravity some of us can reach and wreck such havoc on society leaves me feeling hopeless and I try to keep from feeling that way, the resulting depression affects me.
    I was groping in the dark for an escape by posting this.

I'm glad you did.  We all know it's horrible.  I have no need to talk about it for hours and hours and know every small detail.  Some people are unhinged, there's never any good enough reason for the evil that some people do, the end.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 08:52:26 pm »
I'm glad you did.  We all know it's horrible.  I have no need to talk about it for hours and hours and know every small detail.  Some people are unhinged, there's never any good enough reason for the evil that some people do, the end.

I hear ya! 
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 09:03:18 pm »
   Somewhat back on Topic, If this comes to Fruition This may be all we get out the repeal/replace debacle of the last 9 months, I'll certainly take it over the 3 other versions they voted on in the last 9 months.

After the latest Obamacare repeal failed, Trump says let’s try Rand Paul’s free market idea instead
Jack Hunter, Rare Editor  |  5:46 pm

On Tuesday, I made the case that Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) was right to oppose the latest Republican Obamacare repeal effort, known as Graham-Cassidy, in the hope that a more free-market approach could emerge.

Just one day later, it did.

President Trump announced Wednesday that he planned to sign a “very major” executive order that would allow people to purchase in insurance across state lines — a free-market proposal Republicans have yearned for long before Obamacare existed and Paul, in particular, has pushed as part of his Association Health Plan proposal. Paul outlined these ideas in January in a Rare op-ed and has promoted them throughout the Obamacare repeal debate.

Paul has been talking to Trump about allowing health care to be sold across state lines and expected the president to move forward on it soon, the senator said earlier Wednesday. And then Trump did.

Reports portrayed the president’s decision as a political win for the senator. “U.S. Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky appears to have notched a victory in the health care debate in Washington,” declared Kentucky’s WKU/NPR.

It may very well be a political win for Paul. But if Graham-Cassidy had passed, would Paul’s idea had ever seen the light of day?

<..snip..>

http://rare.us/rare-politics/rare-liberty/after-the-latest-obamacare-repeal-failed-trump-says-lets-try-rand-pauls-free-market-idea-instead/amp/?utm_content=bufferaf4cf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 09:47:04 pm »

Rand Paul has long been a proponent of a flat tax, and while not the same, close enough to Conservatives' 'Fair Tax' that there is hardly a difference.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 09:58:38 pm »
 :yawn2:
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 10:10:27 pm »
Senator Rand Paul can beat on his drum and have a one-man parade on this.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:10:44 pm by TomSea »

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2017, 10:14:56 pm »
    @TomSea if Trump does follow through with that EO about state lines, BIG IF, I'd say Paul got more done in the kabuki theatre  we just witnessed, than anybody else in the GOV, including Trump, in spite of him signing the damn thing.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 10:28:15 pm »
As a dog returns to his vomit, so a Rand repeats his folly

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 10:29:29 pm »
As a dog returns to his vomit, so a Rand repeats his folly

What about the new GOP tax plan, that we've found out about so far, do you like?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 10:35:07 pm »
What about the new GOP tax plan, that we've found out about so far, do you like?

It is where the deal should end up, not where it should be starting, but that said it's the best available at this point. Paul on the other hand is a genuine piece of dog shit. He is always running to the mics to condemn every damn thing offered even when he was for the issue a month ago. He also brings absolutely nothing to the table. He introduced a half assed Flat Tax 3 years ago. Where is he today pushing it? I guess he is too busy joining McLame pissing in everyone's Cheerios.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2017, 10:43:11 pm »
It is where the deal should end up, not where it should be starting, but that said it's the best available at this point. Paul on the other hand is a genuine piece of dog shit. He is always running to the mics to condemn every damn thing offered even when he was for the issue a month ago. He also brings absolutely nothing to the table. He introduced a half assed Flat Tax 3 years ago. Where is he today pushing it? I guess he is too busy joining McLame pissing in everyone's Cheerios.

I'm quite pleased when at least one gov't hooligan gets in front of the bad parts of what is being pushed on instead of going along with the other hooligans.

Offline corbe

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2017, 11:09:33 pm »
    Paint me 'over the edge' cynical because I don't trust any of the 3 branches of Govt right now to do the right thing when it comes to Americans safety and well being whether it's repeal, tax reform or immigration.
    It should be obvious to most that Trump can't drain that swamp.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 01:30:06 am »

What happened to Trump's original campaign promise of $25,000 single/$50,000 couple standard deduction ??

Or was that just bait and switch ??

" Trump proposes to help average Americans by nearly quadrupling the standard tax deduction from $6,300 to $25,000 for individuals and from $12,600 to $50,000 for couples. Single people earning less than $25,000 and spouses making less than $50,000, or some 75 million Americans, would pay zero federal income tax. "

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-biggest-winners-under-donald-trumps-tax-plan/

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:32:39 am by KingsX »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 01:46:44 am »

What happened to Trump's original campaign promise of $25,000 single/$50,000 couple standard deduction ??

Or was that just bait and switch ??

" Trump proposes to help average Americans by nearly quadrupling the standard tax deduction from $6,300 to $25,000 for individuals and from $12,600 to $50,000 for couples. Single people earning less than $25,000 and spouses making less than $50,000, or some 75 million Americans, would pay zero federal income tax. "

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-biggest-winners-under-donald-trumps-tax-plan/

Whether he meant it at the time or not (I don't believe he was sincere) is a moot point.  By now we all know that Trump isn't going to be able to pass any of the agenda he tried to sell us* during the primaries or general because the liberals in Congress on both sides will not allow it.

*This meaning the times he tried to take a conservative stance on an issue as opposed to the times he took a liberal stance on the same issue.

Offline KingsX

• Be yourself. No one can say you're doing it wrong.
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 02:07:45 am »

Whether he meant it at the time or not (I don't believe he was sincere) is a moot point.

By now we all know that Trump isn't going to be able to pass any of the agenda he tried to sell us* during the primaries or general because the liberals in Congress on both sides will not allow it.

*This meaning the times he tried to take a conservative stance on an issue as opposed to the times he took a liberal stance on the same issue.

Trump's 'pie in the sky' promise is not a moot point for me... and many others.

Trump has pitched tax reform from the beginning of his campaign... sincere or not... he has contributed to a record stock market. And what goes up could come down even faster.

'An orange swan that won't stop tweeting'

This has been my take...  the market has rallied to the moon because Trump has promised the sky.
If his tax cut for the rich is not passed,  the market may crash.

David Stockman: Trump tax reform overhaul is a pipe dream, stocks are heading for 40-70% plunge

[...]

" Stockman argued that President Donald Trump's business-friendly tax reform bill, which was unveiled Wednesday, won't prevent a damaging sell-off. He previously said Wall Street is "delusional" for believing it will even be passed.

"This is a fiscal disaster that when they [Wall Street] begin to look at it, they'll see it's not even remotely paid for. This bill will go down for the count," said Stockman."

more at link

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/29/david-stockman-tax-reform-plan-is-pipe-dream-stocks-to-plunge-40-70-percent.html

Major Index Performance Since the Presidential Election:

S&P 500 (SPY): Up by 23%
DJIA (DIA): Up by 28%
Nasdaq 100 (QQQ): Up by 30%
Russell 2000 (IWM): Up by 32%
Financials (XLF) Up by 36%

" These are exceptional 11 month returns and have been achieved in part due to the expectations for tax cuts. If any suggestions materialize that the tax initiative is in jeopardy the moves to the downside could be swift and violent, especially in the small caps index which is up by over 10% in the last few weeks alone. "

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4111223-trump-going-love-huge-tax-cuts

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 02:12:51 am by KingsX »