Author Topic: Jupiter C  (Read 317 times)

Offline DemolitionMan

Jupiter C
« on: October 02, 2017, 12:49:22 am »
American orbital launch vehicle. Re-entry vehicle test booster and satellite launcher derived from Redstone missile. The Jupiter A version of the Redstone missile was modified with upper stages to test Jupiter re-entry vehicle configurations. Von Braun's team was ordered to ballast the upper stage with sand to prevent any 'inadvertent' artificial satellites from stealing thunder from the official Vanguard program. Korolev's R-7 orbited the first earth satellite instead. The Jupiter C was retroactively named the 'Juno I' by Von Braun's team.

http://www.astronautix.com/j/jupiterc.html
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome

Offline DemolitionMan

Re: Jupiter C
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:54:29 am »
The Jupiter C missile was the United States Army entry into the Intermediate Ballistic Missile field. President Eisenhower thought of a "nuclear Pearl Harbor" and the Jupiter program was born. many Jupiters were located in Turkey until they were removed under the deal with the Russians in the Cuban Missile Crisis.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfMIrKkzRx8
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:15:14 am by DemolitionMan »
"Of Arms and Man I Sing"-The Aenid written by Virgil-Virgil commenced his epic story of Aeneas and the founding of Rome with the words: Arma virumque cano--"Of arms and man I sing.Aeneas receives full treatment in Roman mythology, most extensively in Virgil's Aeneid, where he is an ancestor of Romulus and Remus. He became the first true hero of Rome