Author Topic: Librarian Rejects Books Donated By Melania Trump, Rips Dr. Seuss  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Librarian Rejects Books Donated By Melania Trump, Rips Dr. Seuss
« on: September 28, 2017, 02:13:27 pm »
Librarian Rejects Books Donated By Melania Trump, Rips Dr. Seuss
CBS Boston, Sep 27, 2017

The librarian at the Cambridgeport Elementary School is saying no thanks to a shipment of books from First Lady Melania Trump.

One school from each state was chosen by the White House to receive ten Dr. Seuss books as part of National Read a Book Day.

“Getting an education is perhaps the most important and wondrous opportunity of your young lives,” Mrs. Trump said in a letter to the children who will be receiving books.

The school’s librarian, Liz Phipps Soeiro, wrote a lengthy editorial for the Horn Book’s Family Reading blog explaining why her school does not need the books.

“My students have access to a school library with over nine thousand volumes and a librarian with a graduate degree in library science. Multiple studies show that schools with professionally staffed libraries improve student performance,” wrote Phipps Soeiro.

The librarian’s editorial also criticizes the First Lady’s book selections, which include The Cat in the Hat; One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish; The Foot Book; Green Eggs and Ham; and Oh, the Places You’ll Go!

“You may not be aware of this, but Dr. Seuss is a bit of a cliché, a tired and worn ambassador for children’s literature. As First Lady of the United States, you have an incredible platform with world-class resources at your fingertips.”

Parents picking their children up outside the elementary school on Wednesday were quick to support the librarian.

The Cambridge School system says the opinions in the editorial do not represent the district and released a statement, which says in part:

“In this instance, the employee was not authorized to accept or reject donated books on behalf of the school or school district. We have counseled the employee on all relevant policies, including the policy against public resources being used for political purposes.”

People outside the school district around Cambridge Wednesday night were also quick to chime in.

“So I don’t have a very strong opinion, but I think it could definitely be interpreted as an insult to the First Lady,” said Elizabeth Pyjov.

“Oh well Dr. Seuss for us yeah we always used to read books as kids and have our parents read him to us. We actually had at my sister’s wedding my brother read a Dr. Seuss poem,” said Simon Tyson.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/27/cambridge-librarian-rejects-books-donated-melania-trump/

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Librarian Rejects Books Donated By Melania Trump, Rips Dr. Seuss
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 02:18:40 pm »
First off, this is Cambridge, the Berkley of the East coast. Anyone surprised at this idiocy? Secondly this librarian is exactly the type of triggered snowflake you would expect....

http://www.slj.com/2015/04/programs/turning-the-school-library-into-a-community-hub-heres-how/

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:31:10 pm »
A graduate degree in library science; sounds grueling.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 02:45:41 pm »
The Trump Hate permeates everything. She even Hates books because they came from the First Lady
Countdown to Resignation

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 02:46:25 pm »

There is something out there more boring than economics.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:53 pm »
I suppose the librarian would have been happier with maybe a children's version of the communist manifesto or some books condoning homosexuality and transgenderism.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:49:31 pm by Applewood »

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 02:49:26 pm »

debrawiest

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 02:49:46 pm »
The Trump Hate permeates everything. She even Hates books because they came from the First Lady

Exactly. Had Mrs. Obama or Hillary! sent the box of books, she'd be fawning all over them.

Offline ABX

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:59:51 pm »
Apparently, sjw library orgs think Dr Seuss is racist.

https://m.facebook.com/theconsciouskid/photos/a.942420352530879.1073741827.939245856181662/1226083284164583/?type=3

Read Dr. Seuss to my kids...I'll read them to my grandson as well.

I'll even encourage him to read the entire collection of Hardy Boys mystery novels like I did in 2nd Grade.

Screw these SJW's disguised as educators....they're some of the dumbest people on the planet.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:00:08 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 03:04:19 pm »

I'll even encourage him to read the entire collection of Hardy Boys mystery novels like I did in 2nd Grade.

Screw these SJW's disguised as educators....they're some of the dumbest people on the planet.

I read all of the Nancy Drew mysteries when I was a kid. 

I suppose now the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew books are racist or homophobic or something now, too. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 03:06:36 pm »

I'll admit I read a few of those too when I couldn't check out a new Hardy Boys book.

I suppose now the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew books are racist or homophobic or something now, too.

Anything that promotes traditional families...values...honesty...being proud of your country...clearly defining right and wrong...is considered racist these days.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 03:11:21 pm »
Any book that doesn't condemn America could trigger a child. We'll be having public school book burnings soon.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline jpsb

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 03:29:15 pm »
:bigsilly:

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 03:30:56 pm »
:bigsilly:

That dewey decimal system is surprisingly complex.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 03:42:18 pm »

@txradioguy Don't get the later editions, you want the one prior to about 1980. They did some "updates" and they just don't grab you the way the earlier ones did. Just my opinion YMMV
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 03:44:08 pm »

Me too loved them.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 03:45:17 pm »

I know, right.  My grandson was 5 years old before he could find books by himself.
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 03:57:45 pm »
Apparently, sjw library orgs think Dr Seuss is racist.

https://m.facebook.com/theconsciouskid/photos/a.942420352530879.1073741827.939245856181662/1226083284164583/?type=3
Wouldn't it be nice if Dr. Seuss's widow had a comment or two about this special librarian and her opinions.

Offline starstruck

• Hoping 2018 is a good year
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 04:04:17 pm »
Any book that doesn't condemn America could trigger a child. We'll be having public school book burnings soon.
I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between deciding what people should read and book burning.
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people�s liberty teeth and keystone under independence. � George Washington

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 05:21:50 pm »
@txradioguy Don't get the later editions, you want the one prior to about 1980. They did some "updates" and they just don't grab you the way the earlier ones did. Just my opinion YMMV

Good to know.  I'll stick with the originals.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2017, 05:29:22 pm »
Do they even use Dewey any more?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2017, 05:33:45 pm »
We use the Library of Congress Call Number i.e.   PZ7.G881325
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Applewood

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 05:44:57 pm »
Do they even use Dewey any more?

We had to learn it when I was in school.   Probably not taught now.  You have to know how to read to use Dewey and where I come from, most kids nowadays are functionally illiterate. 

Last time I was in a public library, there were signs for different sections according to subject -- similar to being in  Barnes & Noble.  If you couldn't find what you were looking for, one of the librarians would look it up on a computer.  Back in my day, you looked up books in a card file yourself using Dewey.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 06:02:07 pm »
I'll admit I read a few of those too when I couldn't check out a new Hardy Boys book.

Anything that promotes traditional families...values...honesty...being proud of your country...clearly defining right and wrong...is considered racist these days.
Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), Mark Twain (before the big edit when Jim had two names), the Gunboat series, Zane Grey, Max Brand, and the list goes on...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis