Author Topic: The demographics expert who predicted that Hispanics will always vote Democrat has second thoughts - Silvio Canto Jr.  (Read 289 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

The demographics expert who predicted that Hispanics will always vote Democrat has second thoughts
 September 15, 2017 by Silvio Canto Jr.   

Once upon a time, it was “settled science” that demographics would benefit the Democrats. How many times did I hear that Romney got a higher percentage of the white vote than Reagan and still couldn’t win?  Remember the one about the changing color of the country?

Well, it turns out John B. Judis, “the demo guy” wants to amend his theory. Not so fast on this game of demographics, he argues now:

On one level, there’s no arguing with the math. If you take the percentage of Americans that the U.S. census defines as “minorities” and project their past voting habits into the next decade and beyond, you’ll come up with a very sunny version of the Democrats’ prospects.

There are only two problems with this line of thinking, but they’re pretty big ones.

For starters, the census prediction of a “majority-minority” America—slated to arrive in 2044—is deeply flawed.

Continued: http://babalublog.com/2017/09/15/the-demo-guy-wants-a-do-over/

Sourced from original article in the New Republic:

Redoing the Electoral Math

I argued that demographics favored the Democrats. I was wrong.
By John B. Judis
September 14, 2017

If any force on Earth could be powerful enough to unite the Democratic Party, you’d have thought the words “President Donald Trump” would do the trick. Instead, Hillary Clinton’s defeat last November only served to intensify the split within the party. Nine months in, two warring camps continue to offer seemingly irreconcilable versions of what went awry and how to fix it.

Continued: https://newrepublic.com/article/144547/redoing-electoral-math-argued-demographics-favored-democrats-wrong