Author Topic: Senator says he nearly has the votes for ObamaCare repeal  (Read 865 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senator says he nearly has the votes for ObamaCare repeal
« on: September 15, 2017, 03:34:27 pm »
By Peter Sullivan - 09/15/17 10:45 AM EDT

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) is predicting he will win enough votes to pass his last ditch ObamaCare repeal and replacement bill through the Senate, despite the long odds he seems to be facing.

“I am pretty confident we’ll get there on the Republican side,” Cassidy told a group of reporters in his office on Friday. “We’re probably at 48-49 [votes] and talking to two or three more.”

The problem for Senate Republicans when it comes to ObamaCare repeal has always been getting the final few votes to put them over the top. The repeal legislation that failed in July got 49 votes, but fell short because three senators bucked leadership and voted no.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/350842-gop-senator-says-he-nearly-has-the-votes-for-obamacare-repeal
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Applewood

Re: Senator says he nearly has the votes for ObamaCare repeal
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:59 pm »
Right now, I really don't care what these [expletives] do.  They have betrayed us and lied to us.  They are colluding with the Democrats to force single payer down our throats.  At this point, there is nothing we can do to stop it.  Thanks to them, people are going to die needlessly.  But of course, they don't care.  They will be exempt.  They will have access to the finest medical care money can buy.  And the money they will use will come from all of us. 

I believe in divine retribution.  Just as I will be judged for my sins, I can take comfort in knowing these evil chiselers will one day be judged for theirs.  I hope their day of judgment comes sooner than mine.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 06:27:37 pm »
Right now, I really don't care what these [expletives] do.  They have betrayed us and lied to us.  They are colluding with the Democrats to force single payer down our throats.  At this point, there is nothing we can do to stop it.  Thanks to them, people are going to die needlessly.  But of course, they don't care.  They will be exempt.  They will have access to the finest medical care money can buy.  And the money they will use will come from all of us. 

I believe in divine retribution.  Just as I will be judged for my sins, I can take comfort in knowing these evil chiselers will one day be judged for theirs.  I hope their day of judgment comes sooner than mine.

You are out of your mind of you think GOP Senators (in general) are "colluding" in hopes of getting single payer...ludicrous. You might find 2-3 who are off the reservation, but that's it....Collins, Murkowski and one other. If you think the other 48-49 want that you are just letting your imagination get the best of you. 49 voted for the replace bill...3 betrayed the rest of the party. Focus your ire where it belongs, because its those 3 who are preventing the rest from doing what we all want to see...repeal and replace. Further, there are around 40 who want just a flat repeal up front...worry about replace later...so why would you blame them for the failures of the others?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:28:13 pm by Mesaclone »
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 06:31:20 pm »
Yeah, well, they nearly had it last time, too, had it not been for Collins and the Queen of the Write-Ins there.

Call me when they reach the 51.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 06:43:57 pm »
Horseshoes and handgrenades, just horseshoes and handgrenades and palying us

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 01:49:01 am »
You are out of your mind of you think GOP Senators (in general) are "colluding" in hopes of getting single payer...ludicrous. You might find 2-3 who are off the reservation, but that's it....Collins, Murkowski and one other. If you think the other 48-49 want that you are just letting your imagination get the best of you. 49 voted for the replace bill...3 betrayed the rest of the party. Focus your ire where it belongs, because its those 3 who are preventing the rest from doing what we all want to see...repeal and replace. Further, there are around 40 who want just a flat repeal up front...worry about replace later...so why would you blame them for the failures of the others?

I found out today just how many people here are out of their minds.  All sanity has left the forum with a few exceptions.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 02:29:32 am »
jmyrle wrote above:
"Yeah, well, they nearly had it last time, too, had it not been for Collins and the Queen of the Write-Ins there."

I've pretty much had it with voting for women candidates for office.
99% of them are totally worthless. Maybe even 99.9%.

Just as (of course) I would NEVER vote for a democrat/communist, I don't think I'll be voting for any more female Republicans. Unless another Margaret Thatcher comes along (and why I would reverse myself for someone like her is obvious).

Sorry, ladies of the forum.
That's my opinion and I ain't changin' it.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 03:23:03 am »

Truth.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 01:07:26 pm »
Truth.

Calling that truth is akin to proclaiming all pro football players are abusive husbands because a few of them have beaten their wives/girlfriends. That kind of broad brush stupidity should never be condoned....not just because its immoral to do so...but because, in terms of reason and intellect, its moronic. Quite simply, we have around 40 GOP Senators who would vote consistently for the very conservative agenda we all want...another 5-6 who are mostly on board...a couple who are all over the map...and 3 who might as well just switch to the Democratic party.

That being the case, nothing can be accomplished unless legislation is compromised enough to drag in a few of these wayward votes...and that is doubly true on key issues like Obamacare, Immigration and the Budget. Its easy, and childish, to say "they've all betrayed us"...probably feels good to vent like a 5 year old who lost his favorite toy...but the truth is that only a very few have "betrayed us" and the rest are doing their damned-est to get as much as they can of a conservative agenda into legislation. Heck, even Reagan had to compromise some...taking 70% of what he wanted when he couldn't get it all. He was fortunate, he didn't have Collins-Murkowski-McCain who despise him for his stance on conservative issues...Trump does face that, and so do Ryan and McConnell.

When we get 51 staunchly conservative and reliable Senators in place and they refuse to vote Obamacare and other issues...THEN you can complain when they choose not to. "Tossing out" the 40-45 who are now voting in a staunchly conservative manner because they can't force the other 7 idiots to do so...makes absolutely no sense.

You say "they promised this" or "they promised that"...well, newsflash...the 7 or so idiots blocking everything made no such promise...so go after them and quit forming circular firing squads to shoot those who are fighting for the same conservative ideals you are. This is NOT to say some of the 45 or so consistently conservative GOP Senators are perfect...some are wimpy, some are incompetent, some are too compromising in the interest of seeking to get things done...but that is true of ANY group of 45 people. But THEY are not the problem...the idiots who vote "off" the reservation, and the fools who then blame the other 45 for what that 7 do...THEY are the problem.

Call that a treatise in common sense.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:08:58 pm by Mesaclone »

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 01:26:46 pm »
I found out today just how many people here are out of their minds.  All sanity has left the forum with a few exceptions.

There is a disturbing level of self defeating, self imposed blindness to political reality. Its easy to see why we often lose elections as conservatives and Republicans...its because too many think the answer to not getting EXACTLY what they want, is to just take their ball and go home. Just a form of giving up...it takes moral courage AND intellect to move forward a conservative legislative agenda...you have to be smart enough to take what you can get, and understand when you simply don't have the votes. You don't compromise your goals, which are defined by your values....nobody condones such a thing from any conservative...but you damn well better have the ability to compromise enough to get 51 votes on...well...anything you hope to make law.

We have fools here who apparently think the GOP should push purely conservative legislation...such as rounding up every illegal and literally marching them to the border and shoving them across. Or completely eliminating all income tax. Or slashing the military budget in half and eliminating EVERY government agency. These things are GREAT and I would even say desirable in theoretical and purely intellectual context. They also have the support of MAYBE 20% of the country. So when these 20% don't get that purity that they want...they quit. Or they make idiotic calls for bringing down the Republic, or forming or voting for "Alt" parties, or having Constitutional Conventions (that would, ironically, likely end in some grotesque liberalization of the constitution rather than a reinforcing of Originalist concepts), or that they will sit out the next election to punish other less pure conservatives. All petulant acts, self defeating and self indulgent, that achieve nothing EXCEPT to divide the 50% plus of conservative Americans (adding the 20% of hardcore with the 30-35% of more moderate conservatives) sufficiently to ensure the Far Left continues to succeed in ITS agenda....because the Far Left, crazy that it is, is smart enough to take an inch at a time in its quest to dominate the nation.

Here's the problem...for our 20% types. We live in a Republic. We can't simply tell the other 80% that we are going to impose purely conservative legislation on them whether they like it or not...and I really don't think any of us would want to live in a country where 20% of the people COULD impose their will in that way. So what we're left with is what they Founding Father's intended...we simply have to put forward laws that can attain majority support. Too many on our conservative side would call that "selling out"...but the truth is, that is how a Republic works. What many on here seem to be calling for a kind of benign conservative dictatorship...where popular opinion and the votes of the other party are set aside in favor of "our" agenda. Well, that has a name...and its not Republicanism.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 01:39:04 pm by Mesaclone »