Author Topic: Fox & Friends: Maybe Trump’s Wall Was “Symbolic”  (Read 11736 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: Fox & Friends: Maybe Trump’s Wall Was “Symbolic”
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2017, 10:31:46 pm »
Louie Gohmert — US Representative for Texas District 1
Yesterday at 5:14am ·
“If the president hadn’t used this new alignment you are talking about – to get the debt ceiling, to get the short-term CR, we would be haggling about the debt ceiling for the next two or three weeks …”
“He [President Trump] cleared the deck where we still have a shot to do a repeal, reform – something to get people help on Obamacare. He’s a smart negotiator. He knew what needed to be done. It cleared the deck. We've still got a shot on Obamacare. Some of us have been continuing to put the pressure on … [Speaker of the House] Paul Ryan tells me: ‘we've got them working behind the scenes to put as much pressure.’ I said: ‘we've got to go in front of the scenes and put the pressure – we’ve got two weeks – we've got to get that done. If the president doesn't do this deal, we don't have a shot.” - Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01)
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »
eh. It's just so much whinin and cryin and throwin dirt in the air... By people invested in the false rubric of a political messiah. It ain't you.

See?  I can't even spell "won" right the first time. :)

Online roamer_1

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2017, 10:57:31 pm »
See?  I can't even spell "won" right the first time. :)

LOL! Actually the second time in that post... :)

But there's been talk that hillary 'has one'.... but that was a while ago, and I think it is generally true that no one wants that... So you're good. No correction necessary

:silly: :silly: :silly:
 888high58888

Oceander

« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2017, 11:06:21 pm »
“If the president hadn’t used this new alignment you are talking about – to get the debt ceiling, to get the short-term CR, we would be haggling about the debt ceiling for the next two or three weeks …”
“He [President Trump] cleared the deck where we still have a shot to do a repeal, reform – something to get people help on Obamacare. He’s a smart negotiator. He knew what needed to be done. It cleared the deck. We've still got a shot on Obamacare. Some of us have been continuing to put the pressure on … [Speaker of the House] Paul Ryan tells me: ‘we've got them working behind the scenes to put as much pressure.’ I said: ‘we've got to go in front of the scenes and put the pressure – we’ve got two weeks – we've got to get that done. If the president doesn't do this deal, we don't have a shot.” - Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01)

:bigsilly:

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2017, 11:17:15 pm »

So wait, we're talking about debt ceiling/Harvey funds now?  Or Obamacare now?  I have not a clue what this has to do with

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2017, 12:57:52 am »
Crying over this wall is ridiculous. Nobody in his right mind ever believed that wall would be built.  Now he gets to blame Turtle and Ryan for it. Stupid pubbies. Trump is laughing his ass off.

Here's where you're wrong. The majority of Trump supporters including all my brothers and sisters, all in their "right minds" I think, did believe it. All of it. They would not listen to reason, and sad to say still won't.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2017, 01:14:08 am »
Welcome to Wally World, @RoosGirl. (cue up the Twilight Zone music)
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2017, 03:26:16 am »
Here's where you're wrong. The majority of Trump supporters including all my brothers and sisters, all in their "right minds" I think, did believe it. All of it. They would not listen to reason, and sad to say still won't.

I know so many like that.  In my family too.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2017, 03:57:01 am »
Welcome to Wally World, @RoosGirl. (cue up the Twilight Zone music)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2017, 04:12:19 am »
I know so many like that.  In my family too.
Often, in their desperation to not see Hillary in office, they chose Trump as some sort of saviour. I can understand those who chose to bite the bullet and vote for him over her, she was unacceptable, but that does not require fawning admiration. I guess paparazz-luring wealth and ostentation doesn't appeal to me (never has) because I have known people with old money who are nowhere near that way. Nouveau Riche behaviour is more of an expression of insecurity and lack of class than the quiet quality of those comfortable with wealth.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:13:44 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2017, 04:39:05 am »
Often, in their desperation to not see Hillary in office, they chose Trump as some sort of saviour. I can understand those who chose to bite the bullet and vote for him over her, she was unacceptable, but that does not require fawning admiration. I guess paparazz-luring wealth and ostentation doesn't appeal to me (never has) because I have known people with old money who are nowhere near that way. Nouveau Riche behaviour is more of an expression of insecurity and lack of class than the quiet quality of those comfortable with wealth.

Well, it would have never come to that.  A choice between bad and bad.  They did choose Trump over Hillary but we should never have had to make the choice.  We had Cruz but FOX network was making a business deal.  And Anne Coulter was too.  She was on the Trump book train.

As for the money.  Glaring obvious.  All you had to do was look at the mans gaudy NY apartment.  All the gold and god murals...............
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2017, 04:50:17 am »
Well, it would have never come to that.  A choice between bad and bad.  They did choose Trump over Hillary but we should never have had to make the choice.  We had Cruz but FOX network was making a business deal.  And Anne Coulter was too.  She was on the Trump book train.

As for the money.  Glaring obvious.  All you had to do was look at the mans gaudy NY apartment.  All the gold and god murals...............
I was frankly stunned when Fox went the way they did. I had been watching Cruz for a couple of years before the primaries, and thought he was the guy to elect. Coulter gushing for Trump told me he wasn't the one, she has been that consistently poor in her choices.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2017, 07:35:16 am »

There is this thing. Despite my crassness and sophomoric attempts at humor, there is this thing. My complete failures posting notwithstanding.

The combined total of people posting on this forum exemplifies erudition, critical thinking, scholarship, intellect, trustworthiness, devotion, and the the most overriding adjective, your humanity.

Thank you.

@mystery-ak  All the mods and the other modssssssters

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2017, 05:44:16 pm »
:bigsilly:

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

I didn't know anyone used that quote anymore.  But, if that's all you got.

I trust Louie Gohmert ... he's a great conservative representative from Texas and a great guy.

He's certainly putting an optimistic spin on Trump's recent actions and I hope he's right.

I'm not sure he's right, but I hope he is. 

At least he's not reveling in the depths of despair.

Oceander

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2017, 05:53:55 pm »

I trust Louie Gohmert ... he's a great conservative representative from Texas and a great guy.

He's certainly putting an optimistic spin on Trump's recent actions and I hope he's right.

Who's reveling in the depths of despair?  I'm laughing at suckers who were warned and chose to go with angry tweets and bullying over rational thought.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »

Can't tell you how puzzling your post is.  How many people on this forum display fawning admiration for Trump?  I can think of two ... maybe three.

And none of those few genuine admirers like him because he made a bunch of money.  They like him because he espoused goals for America that a lot of people wanted and agreed with.

As far as Nouveau Riche is concerned, that doesn't describe Trump at all.  His father was rich.  He grew up rich.  Maybe Bill Gates or the Facebook guy is newly rich and both of them show a lot more class than Trump.  Nouveau Riche is a snobbish term, implying that people who recently became wealthy are less classy than people whose money is so old it was originally called wampum.

One reason I was never for Trump ... besides the obvious ... was that I didn't think he could beat Hillary.  I thought we had blundered into choosing the ONE person in the whole world that she could beat.

As we read daily about Hillary's bizarre behavior since losing, I'm still thankful that Trump won.

It's kind of weird that a lot of NTers here are so outraged that Trump has made some bad decisions recently.  Isn't that what they expected all along?

Oh, well.  I see some really strange posts and ideas here.

Oceander

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2017, 06:01:57 pm »
Can't tell you how puzzling your post is.  How many people on this forum display fawning admiration for Trump?  I can think of two ... maybe three.

And none of those few genuine admirers like him because he made a bunch of money.  They like him because he espoused goals for America that a lot of people wanted and agreed with.

As far as Nouveau Riche is concerned, that doesn't describe Trump at all.  His father was rich.  He grew up rich.  Maybe Bill Gates or the Facebook guy is newly rich and both of them show a lot more class than Trump.  Nouveau Riche is a snobbish term, implying that people who recently became wealthy are less classy than people whose money is so old it was originally called wampum.

One reason I was never for Trump ... besides the obvious ... was that I didn't think he could beat Hillary.  I thought we had blundered into choosing the ONE person in the whole world that she could beat.

As we read daily about Hillary's bizarre behavior since losing, I'm still thankful that Trump won.

It's kind of weird that a lot of NTers here are so outraged that Trump has made some bad decisions recently.  Isn't that what they expected all along?

Trump is nouveau riche; he is almost the very definition of it.  That you cannot see that makes he rest of what you say largely meaningless. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2017, 06:27:08 pm »

Just an observation, but some will be nouveau riche after a dozen generations of having money.
Money and class are not equivalent, although often confused by the whole 'economic class' thing. 

I have observed a quiet calm in those who have real wealth and power that I do not sense in Mr. Trump, and would hazard a guess that the eleven figures attributed to him are, in actuality,  less impressive than the mythos surrounding them. Perhaps that is why the tax returns remain hidden from view.

Some people get starry eyed over such, me, meh.

Money is nice, enough money is handy, too little sucks, to be sure, and too much is a liability as much as an asset, (and too much is something that transcends the comfort level of the individual, a level they feel comfortable with or act sensibly with, not anything I or anyone else should impose as a limit. If people have too much, they manage to divest themselves of it soon enough without any outside intervention by officialdom.)
But yes, there are those who get starry eyed at the 'rich and famous'. Whether they vicariously associate with them in some dream world or whatever, they spend money at supermarket checkout stands to read all the latest gossip and form affections and loyalties to individuals and families with extraordinary emotional attachment.  No one said that was a mentally realistic nor balanced situation and in its extremes it can even be dangerous: Look at John Hinkley, who wanted a date with Jodie Foster so badly he shot the President to get her attention (And Jim Brady, and a Capitol Hill Policeman). 

Me, I prefer science fiction as an escape, although politics isn't far behind, in so many ways.

Be that as it may, those fawning sycophants are out there, but few here, mainly because this is one of the more sane discussion sites on the web, and no small number have left here because of our patent lack of obsequiousness. He is an elected official, the President no less, but no entity to be worshipped. My Deity fulfills His promises, and has an impressive track record for doing just that. 

Entire websites have generally given themselves over, like trumpbart (poor Andrew must be tilling the earth above his grave), that treehouse place, and others, and even Fox which has managed to fall significantly from grace among principled Conservatives.

So saying that because you don't see hardly anyone here who doesn't act that way (much) doesn't mean they aren't out there, wearing their made-in-China MAGA hats and fighting in the streets somewhere just trying to hear someone speak nice things about their new hero--or to shout down those who won't.

I'd have to say this is an unusual sample to draw conclusions from.

We are all glad Hillary lost. Keep that in mind. It's like not getting the grilled tofu at the company picnic. But look at the burger and realize that we could have had steak. YMMV, but at least it isn't the tofu.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2017, 06:28:30 pm »

FFS

Picture this: Emjay looking in a mirror. (susurrating)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2017, 06:55:50 pm »
Just an observation, but some will be nouveau riche after a dozen generations of having money.
Money and class are not equivalent, although often confused by the whole 'economic class' thing. 

I have observed a quiet calm in those who have real wealth and power that I do not sense in Mr. Trump, and would hazard a guess that the eleven figures attributed to him are, in actuality,  less impressive than the mythos surrounding them. Perhaps that is why the tax returns remain hidden from view.

Some people get starry eyed over such, me, meh.

Money is nice, enough money is handy, too little sucks, to be sure, and too much is a liability as much as an asset, (and too much is something that transcends the comfort level of the individual, a level they feel comfortable with or act sensibly with, not anything I or anyone else should impose as a limit. If people have too much, they manage to divest themselves of it soon enough without any outside intervention by officialdom.)
But yes, there are those who get starry eyed at the 'rich and famous'. Whether they vicariously associate with them in some dream world or whatever, they spend money at supermarket checkout stands to read all the latest gossip and form affections and loyalties to individuals and families with extraordinary emotional attachment.  No one said that was a mentally realistic nor balanced situation and in its extremes it can even be dangerous: Look at John Hinkley, who wanted a date with Jodie Foster so badly he shot the President to get her attention (And Jim Brady, and a Capitol Hill Policeman). 

Me, I prefer science fiction as an escape, although politics isn't far behind, in so many ways.

Be that as it may, those fawning sycophants are out there, but few here, mainly because this is one of the more sane discussion sites on the web, and no small number have left here because of our patent lack of obsequiousness. He is an elected official, the President no less, but no entity to be worshipped. My Deity fulfills His promises, and has an impressive track record for doing just that. 

Entire websites have generally given themselves over, like trumpbart (poor Andrew must be tilling the earth above his grave), that treehouse place, and others, and even Fox which has managed to fall significantly from grace among principled Conservatives.

So saying that because you don't see hardly anyone here who doesn't act that way (much) doesn't mean they aren't out there, wearing their made-in-China MAGA hats and fighting in the streets somewhere just trying to hear someone speak nice things about their new hero--or to shout down those who won't.

I'd have to say this is an unusual sample to draw conclusions from.

We are all glad Hillary lost. Keep that in mind. It's like not getting the grilled tofu at the company picnic. But look at the burger and realize that we could have had steak. YMMV, but at least it isn't the tofu.

Interesting post. 

We have so many more observers at this site than we have posters so it's hard to know what all our readers think and feel.

But it takes a lot of courage or craziness to post Trump love here because one is instantly crucified and the townsmen take up their pitchforks and torches.

I went over to TOS while ago to check out the attitude over there and, while I didn't see the joyous despair that I see here, I saw some deep disappointment about Trump's recent decisions.

Nobody over there wants DACA or an imaginary, i.e. symbolic wall.

You say 'we are all glad Hillary lost.'  That would seem to be obvious but I had at least 3 people tell me yesterday that there was no difference between them and Trump was as bad as Hillary.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2017, 07:16:26 pm »
Keep in mind, Tom, that the seminal issues, the real 'close the deal' promises were the Wall and deporting all the illegals, repealing Obamacare (root and branch), and Hillary in irons...all seen by many to be essential steps in the whole MAGA thing, but those were the fluttering standards which gathered the army.
For some, that was the biggest difference between Trump and Hillary, because those were THE issues that mattered to them. Other things like the war on coal, the war on oil and gas, the war of lunch (at least for school kids), were all second tier issues to many, it was the big three that mattered. 

Not seeing those and possibly some backing water on the same seminal issues pulls a lot of enthusiasm, good will, and visible difference between having a Democrat in Office (the Hildebeast) and who is there. Conflation occurs and the convergent evolution between the right and left sides of the aisle in Congress doesn't help as the overwhelming lesser evils have greyed the line between right and left so often, and now are failing to make the distinction known along party lines.
It is natural that many will see this as capitulation to the Uniparty/Oligarchy/deep state/NWO, whatever name it goes by this week, but still, the assimilation of yet another pol for fun and profit by the most foul swamp by the Potomac. Since she is a swamp denizen, they see the color of the slime and little else, another ill-smelling mass cavorting with Democrats.

While the whole analysis, if you can call it that, seems superficial, if it looks like a duck, and it smells like a duck, then people might assume it is one, at least until they see otherwise.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2017, 07:18:06 pm »
   I'm outta here, gonna go to my favorite Brewery, hopefully Mod8 will be back asleep by the time I get back.

Mods don't sleep.

They wait.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2017, 07:18:35 pm »
The thing about Trump ... to me, at least, is that he has done so well as President.

Tweeting aside, he has shown a lot of dignity that I didn't know he possessed.  Melania is an impressive first lady and I take back everything I ever said about her.

Trump immediately made some excellent appointments, foremost being Gorsuch, of course, but also conservative and admirable department heads, such as Betsy DeVos.

He's made a couple of speeches that I didn't think he was capable of making.

His personality was always gonna get in the way and it has.

I'm one of the non-Trump-lovers who really, really wants him to succeed.  I have a hard time understanding the mentality of so many here who wanted him to fail from the start and seem to delight when he does ... it's like a school yard 'told ya so' times 100.

It's our country.  We shouldn't want Trump to fail ... just to prove ourselves right.

So, Trump has a big speech coming up Tuesday night.  It will be interesting to see his take on the deal he has supposedly made with the dems.

Pelosi and Schumer couldn't wait to come out and announce that they had converted Trump.  It was pretty dam sickening.  And way too many people here decided that Pelosi and Schumer could be trusted to tell the truth.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2017, 07:59:16 pm »
The thing about Trump ... to me, at least, is that he has done so well as President.

Tweeting aside, he has shown a lot of dignity that I didn't know he possessed.  Melania is an impressive first lady and I take back everything I ever said about her.

Trump immediately made some excellent appointments, foremost being Gorsuch, of course, but also conservative and admirable department heads, such as Betsy DeVos.

I'm one of the non-Trump-lovers who really, really wants him to succeed.  I have a hard time understanding the mentality of so many here who wanted him to fail from the start and seem to delight when he does ... it's like a school yard 'told ya so' times 100.

It's our country.  We shouldn't want Trump to fail ... just to prove ourselves right.

So, Trump has a big speech coming up Tuesday night.  It will be interesting to see his take on the deal he has supposedly made with the dems.

Pelosi and Schumer couldn't wait to come out and announce that they had converted Trump.  It was pretty dam sickening.  And way too many people here decided that Pelosi and Schumer could be trusted to tell the truth.

"We’re not looking at citizenship. We’re not looking at amnesty. We're looking at allowing people to stay here." - Donald Trump

That?  It has nothing to do with being right or wrong, but yeah, I want that to fail.  Glad to know you don't.

Online berdie

« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2017, 08:08:41 pm »

I have no desire to see Trump fail...as long as he stays on a course that I can even partially agree with. Right now, I'm not sure.

Even if he comes out on Tuesday night and cleans up what appears to be a pretty big mess...I'll be cynical. Not only is he a politician (contrary to his words) he is surrounded by politicians that know how to work the game.

I don't know if Pelosi or Schumer were lying....or if Trump is. Time will tell.

It could be an odd twist of fate if the legislation presented that is not compatible with many's ideology  is blocked by the GOPe.