Author Topic: Schumer, Pelosi say DACA deal will exclude wall after dinner with Trump  (Read 644 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Schumer, Pelosi say DACA deal will exclude wall after dinner with Trump
Washington Examiner, Sep 13, 2017, W. James Antle III

The White House hailed a "constructive working dinner" Wednesday night between President Trump and top Democratic congressional leaders, who claimed afterward they agreed to exclude the border wall from a deal on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

<snip>

A White House official told reporters afterward the "topics included tax reform, border security, DACA, infrastructure and trade." But Pelosi and Schumer focused on DACA, former President Barack Obama's executive action shielding from deportation illegal immigrants who came to the United States before age 16, which was recently rescinded by the Trump administration.

"We had a very productive meeting at the White House with the President," Schumer and Pelosi said in a joint statement. "The discussion focused on DACA. We agreed to enshrine the protections of DACA into law quickly, and to work out a package of border security, excluding the wall, that's acceptable to both sides."

<snip>

"This is a positive step toward the president's strong commitment to bipartisan solutions for the issues most important to all Americans," a White House official said. "The Administration looks forward to continuing these conversations with leadership on both sides of the aisle."

<snip>

Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., who has succeeded Attorney General Jeff Sessions as the upper chamber's leading immigration hawk, has called for pairing DACA legalization with E-Verify and limits to chain migration. Trump has endorsed a bill by Cotton and Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga., that contains some of these reforms and reduces legal immigration.

"The congressional Democratic leadership has used the DACA class – the so-called ‘Dreamer' amnesty group – as a political football for fifteen years," said Dan Stein, president of the restrictionist Federation for American Immigration Reform, in a statement earlier Wednseday. In order to pass this bill, the Democrats have to be prepared to accept real tradeoffs that respond to the demands of the American people to see our immigration laws enforced and immigration levels reduced."

More:  http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/schumer-pelosi-say-daca-deal-will-exclude-wall-after-dinner-with-trump/article/2634356

DACA is squarely in the hands of Congress.  I hope the Republican caucus steps up to the plate and puts the energy and time they usually spend on whining and excuses into constructive and actual work that translates into results for the American people.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:04:37 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Mom MD

Re: Schumer, Pelosi say DACA deal will exclude wall after dinner with Trump
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 04:05:41 am »
There are already 2 other threads on this topic
God is still in control

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 04:07:53 am »
There are already 2 other threads on this topic

But this article is without the hyperbole ... so I thought it deserved a stand-alone thread.

I worry about our pearl clutchers.   :smokin:

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 04:10:07 am »
   The Congress already did try it, it was the Gang of 8, incidentally Sen. Cruz shut that crap down with his poison pill legislation, that directly led to obummer doing a MEMO on DACA, yea give it back to those azzholes what could possibly go wrong.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 04:13:09 am »
But this article is without the hyperbole ... so I thought it deserved a stand-alone thread.

I worry about our pearl clutchers.   :smokin:

You fit right in with the crowd at TOS.  Even use the same tired insults  Can you not find something more creative than the old pearl clutch.?  Besides I'll probably have to sell my pearls to pay for my tax "cut"
God is still in control

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:20:54 am »
You fit right in with the crowd at TOS.  Even use the same tired insults  Can you not find something more creative than the old pearl clutch.?  Besides I'll probably have to sell my pearls to pay for my tax "cut"

I actually saw the crap you (unfairly) caught at TOS and was just trying to yank your chain by quoting them.

No offense was meant. @Mom MD

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:21:31 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Mom MD

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 04:22:41 am »
I actually saw the crap you (unfairly) caught at TOS and was just trying to yank your chain by quoting them.

No offense was meant. @Mom MD

Thank you.  Then no offense taken @Right_in_Virginia
God is still in control

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 04:41:46 am »
Sen. Tom Cotton, R-Ark., who has succeeded Attorney General Jeff Sessions as the upper chamber's leading immigration hawk, has called for pairing DACA legalization with E-Verify and limits to chain migration. Trump has endorsed a bill by Cotton and Sen. David Perdue, R-Ga., that contains some of these reforms and reduces legal immigration.

So they're going to reward the people who came here illegally by letting a whole bunch of them stay, and reduce legal immigration.

Whatever.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 03:50:14 pm »
We've seen this before and it didn't work out so well.
Reagan signed amnesty, with the understanding that illegal immigration would be worked on later.
That didn't happen.
Dems will agree on DACA, then turn around and say they will still oppose the wall.
They have already said as much.
They agree that "later" they will work on tougher security (but no wall), vetting, etc....

If Trump doesn't get the wall before DACA goes into effect (if it does), he'll only have the previous fence act to work with.

We've seen this before.
Trump signs DACA and the Dems will attempt to block any meaningful border enforcement that they can.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 04:13:17 pm »
DACA, the wall, and the whole of immigration policy need to be tied together. We need to extract big concessions for DACA, not bargain it away for 'players to be named later'.
The Republic is lost.