Author Topic: Trump: Churches should receive federal funding to recover from Harvey  (Read 791 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump: Churches should receive federal funding to recover from Harvey
Washington Examiner, Sep 8, 2017, Diana Stancy Correll

President Trump said that Texas churches should receive disaster relief funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency as the state recovers from the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.

"Churches in Texas should be entitled to reimbursement from FEMA Relief Funds for helping victims of Hurricane Harvey (just like others)." Trump tweeted Friday night.

Religious organizations do not typically receive federal funding. However, three churches in Texas are suing FEMA for not including them in the disaster relief funding package.

The Harvest Family Church, the Hi-Way Tabernacle and the Rockport First Assembly of God experienced damages from the hurricane. One church lost its steeple, roof, and church van, while the remaining churches experiences flood damages to their facilities, the Texas Tribune reported.

Additionally, Hi-Way Tabernacle is currently functioning as a FEMA staging center and is providing shelter for up to 70 people. They also have shared more than 8,000 emergency meals.

"The churches are not seeking special treatment; they are seeking a fair shake," the lawsuit filed Monday in the U.S. District Court for Texas's Southern District read. "And they need to know now whether they have any hope of counting on FEMA or whether they will continue to be excluded entirely from these FEMA programs."

More:  http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/trump-churches-should-receive-federal-funding-to-recover-from-harvey/article/2633907

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Trump: Churches should receive federal funding to recover from Harvey
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:44:41 am »
No they should not.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:51:36 am »
No they should not.

Me Too.

He is quickly becoming the liberal dimocrat that we all expected.  Why as a tax payer should I fund an organization that exempt from paying taxes in the first place.  And BTW...I'm a Texan who got 31 inches of rain from Harvey.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 01:55:59 pm »
One thing that the 1st amendment was setup so the Government is not in the funding the Church business.  Sorry disaster or not, no funding of Churches or any religious places with taxpayer money.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 03:58:04 pm »
The Constitution is not a smorgasbord.

You can't pick and choose which parts of it you like.

Cripple any part of it and you cripple the whole.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 04:00:33 pm »
If the aid is broad based, then it shouldn't matter whether an organization is a church or not. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 04:01:21 pm »
One thing that the 1st amendment was setup so the Government is not in the funding the Church business.  Sorry disaster or not, no funding of Churches or any religious places with taxpayer money.

I'm most impressed by churches who honestly abandon their tax exempt status in favor of freedom of speech.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 04:03:33 pm »
If the aid is broad based, then it shouldn't matter whether an organization is a church or not.

No way.  Myself as a taxpayer should not have to help rebuild churches.  That's the job of the congregation.  And if their finances are not configured to handle a disaster, then too bad.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 05:51:11 pm »

What about using federal money to rebuild Mosques?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Oceander

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 05:52:54 pm »

What about using federal money to rebuild Mosques?

I see no problem with that either, again, if it's a broad-based aid package. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:53:10 pm by Oceander »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 05:53:33 pm »

Wow...you really said that?

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 05:54:13 pm »
Wow...you really said that?

Actually, I typed it (using my thumbs on my smartphone).

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 08:03:53 pm »
No they should not.

Sympathy but it's a bad precedent.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »
Seriously?

No.
Help people rebuild their lives, and they will rebuild their churches.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis