Author Topic: Half of Irma’s likely victims lack flood insurance, leaving Congress with potential political crisis  (Read 321 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Half of Irma’s likely victims lack flood insurance, leaving Congress with potential political crisis
By Molly K. Hooper - 09/08/17 04:04 PM EDT

More than half of the homeowners in Hurricane Irma’s direct path lack flood insurance, according to a recent study by The Associated Press, highlighting a growing political crisis for lawmakers that is years in the making.

“We need to make sure that the flood insurance program is solvent now — it's already working on borrowed money. Make it solvent, make it affordable so people can buy it,” said Rep. Ted Poe, a Republican whose home state of Texas is slowly rebuilding from the devastation of Hurricane Harvey last month.

Lawmakers say ideas are circulating quickly as Florida braces for the same sort of catastrophe just endured by Texas.

more
http://thehill.com/video/in-the-news/349856-half-of-irmas-likely-victims-lack-flood-insurance-leaving-congress-with
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Suppressed

Yes, those people who were responsible will have to pay for those who weren't.  Typical.

Like Katrina...people who can't afford houses are taxed to buy a house for someone who was irresponsible. 

Lovely.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Yes, those people who were responsible will have to pay for those who weren't.  Typical.

Like Katrina...people who can't afford houses are taxed to buy a house for someone who was irresponsible. 

Lovely.

The real problem is the laws are written to give the insurance companies a thousand ways not to pay.  Not that people who were told they didn't need this kind of insurance don't have it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.