Author Topic: Trump to Jilted GOP: Inaction Led to Deal With Dems.  (Read 3816 times)

Offline roamer_1

Re: Trump to Jilted GOP: Inaction Led to Deal With Dems.
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 06:42:11 pm »
Regardless who Trump is or not, he's being painted as X, why then does the Congressional GOP not grab the opportunity when presented?

Because he's pissed absolutely everyone off. Absolutely and personally. Everyone he was going to need to get anything done. And if that ain't bad enough, you have to kiss his great white ass to get on his good side.... and when you do that, he'll throw you under the bus any old time he decides to.

I don't know many gents at all that would have much to do with such a man. Can't really blame em for that.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2017, 06:43:18 pm »
Nonsense.  One can always do the right thing.  Granted, it takes integrity and courage.

No, it just takes votes.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2017, 06:44:57 pm »
No, it just takes votes.

In the words of the great Lyle Lovett: "that's the difference between you and me".

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2017, 06:45:19 pm »
So while I think what Trump did was wrong as a matter of substantive policy, as a political tactic to wake them up, it was both clever and necessary.

Nope. Burning bridges and carting off the ashes ain't never a good strategy. Exactly the wrong strategy entirely.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2017, 06:51:57 pm »
Because he's pissed absolutely everyone off. Absolutely and personally. Everyone he was going to need to get anything done. And if that ain't bad enough, you have to kiss his great white ass to get on his good side.... and when you do that, he'll throw you under the bus any old time he decides to.

I don't know many gents at all that would have much to do with such a man. Can't really blame em for that.

I don't necessarily disagree, but it isn't a employer-employee relationship between Trump and Congress. It's separate and co-equal. Ryan and McConnell don't need Trump to pass legislation. If he's that much of an asshat, then pass it, let him veto it, then pummel him for it.

At least you are doing the job you were elected to do. Obama was an arrogant asshat too, Ryan and McConnell practically kissed up to him. So they should be used to it already, and their skin thick.

I am not happy with Trump on a number of things, including this deal with the Dems, but I am absolutely pissed at our GOP leadership. Trump has done some good things within his powers, Congress has played foot dragging, window dressing, small potatoes to this point.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2017, 07:00:41 pm »
I don't necessarily disagree, but it isn't a employer-employee relationship between Trump and Congress. It's separate and co-equal. Ryan and McConnell don't need Trump to pass legislation. If he's that much of an asshat, then pass it, let him veto it, then pummel him for it.

At least you are doing the job you were elected to do. Obama was an arrogant asshat too, Ryan and McConnell practically kissed up to him. So they should be used to it already, and their skin thick.

I am not happy with Trump on a number of things, including this deal with the Dems, but I am absolutely pissed at our GOP leadership. Trump has done some good things within his powers, Congress has played foot dragging, window dressing, small potatoes to this point.

I'm not in disagreement with you either, but I see that differently. Congress is not a single entity. It is by it's nature, a fractious, sectarian institution. one has to pull them together to your cause, uniting the various coalitions, and maybe even making new ones. That's herding cats anyway, but I think that Trump has done nothing but cause even more friction.

Far be it from me to defend any of them, and I don't want you to get me wrong on that - But he'd catch a helluva lot more bees with honey than with vinegar. Jussayin.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2017, 07:07:09 pm »
There is a flood of 'vinegar' headed their way. According to what I have read on the subject, Americans do not blame Trump that nothing has gotten done. They overwhelmingly blame Congress, which is correct in my assessment.

What impact this will have on the midterms remains to be seen. But, I'm sure the GOP would love nothing more than to lose the Senate to the Dems. Then they can lay back, take it easy, and blame the Democrats for stagnation. A Dem win would take the pressure off of Republicans to "DO SOMETHING!" And I think they would welcome that.

Maybe Trump should just shift party, and caucus with the people who actually want to work.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 07:07:40 pm »

Yes indeed!  Congress should do it's work and make Trump $&*% or get off the pot!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 07:16:23 pm »
There is a flood of 'vinegar' headed their way. According to what I have read on the subject, Americans do not blame Trump that nothing has gotten done. They overwhelmingly blame Congress, which is correct in my assessment.

Of course. That's how Trump works. The blame is always somewhere else.

What impact this will have on the midterms remains to be seen. But, I'm sure the GOP would love nothing more than to lose the Senate to the Dems. Then they can lay back, take it easy, and blame the Democrats for stagnation. A Dem win would take the pressure off of Republicans to "DO SOMETHING!" And I think they would welcome that.

Maybe Trump should just shift party, and caucus with the people who actually want to work.

Yeah right. Because hooking up with Democrats is going to send us in the right direction. This 'do something, even if it's wrong' thing is the most idiotic philosophy I have ever heard of.

The fit is about to hit the shan and all y'all are cheering it.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 07:26:16 pm »

Yeah right. Because hooking up with Democrats is going to send us in the right direction. This 'do something, even if it's wrong' thing is the most idiotic philosophy I have ever heard of.

The fit is about to hit the shan and all y'all are cheering it.  *****rollingeyes*****

And they'll declare that nobody warned them an d they're all innocent victims.

Trump could announce that he's switching parties tomorrow and about half these geniuses would declare it to be a brilliant strategy and the other half would blame republicans driving him out of the party.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 07:29:26 pm »

The 2017 performance of Congress has been more than pathetic. They offer no counter proposals that they would vote for. So far, they simply say, 'NO!' to everything and then run off to endless vacation.

It reminds me of trying to deal with my ex-wife,
Why are you mad?
I'm not mad.

Ok, what do want me to do?
I don't you to do anything.

It is unreasonable passive aggressive bullshit, because the GOP is just as pissed Trump was elected as the Democrats are. Maybe more.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 07:33:47 pm »

Far too many Republicans are more concerned about virtue signalling on the things they don't like about Trump rather than actually trying to accomplish things.

:patriot:
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline jpsb

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 07:41:09 pm »
How about not playing #@$@# politics and do the right thing for a change?  Yeah, it's great, Trump one-upped the Rs who were one-upped by the dems.  Fantastic.  How about doing the right thing for the citizens of this nation for a change?

What Trump did is get help to Tx & La after Harvey. What is so bad about that?

Offline jpsb

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:53 pm »

So that is how he build a 10 billion dollar empire that employs 1,000s of people. /s

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 07:46:54 pm »
What Trump did is get help to Tx & La after Harvey. What is so bad about that?

I wonder if somebody showed Trump a video of a Senator, reading from children's books in order to delay/block proceedings?

And his reply was "Let's get things moving. These suffering people need help now, not partisan politics as usual."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline aligncare

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 07:50:03 pm »
Trump came to play, and when he spotted who were the players in congress, he listened. Trump's willingness to deal jolted the squishes with (R) after their names. Good. So now if they want reelection they've got to do real work on the budget right about Christmas time.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:25:12 pm by aligncare »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 08:08:14 pm »
And they'll declare that nobody warned them an d they're all innocent victims.

Trump could announce that he's switching parties tomorrow and about half these geniuses would declare it to be a brilliant strategy and the other half would blame republicans driving him out of the party.

That's right... Almost predictable.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 08:10:55 pm »

The 2017 performance of Congress has been more than pathetic. They offer no counter proposals that they would vote for. So far, they simply say, 'NO!' to everything and then run off to endless vacation.

@240B
Right. And Trump has exacerbated that already existing problem.

It is unreasonable passive aggressive bullshit, because the GOP is just as pissed Trump was elected as the Democrats are. Maybe more.

I know what it is. But beating your ex wife might make you feel good, but that isn't going to fix the problem. It will make it worse... ala Trump.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 08:11:46 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 08:13:49 pm »
So that is how he build a 10 billion dollar empire that employs 1,000s of people. /s

Yeah... You go on thinking that.

Online corbe

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2017, 08:34:13 pm »
   Harvey, Harvey, Harvey what a great talking point Trumpers, though it has absolutely nothing to do with Trump now getting his much needed adulation from Schumer/Pelosi.   I guess when they tack on DACA to the Irma aid bill, it will be about how us heartless Conservatives against DACA legislation just want to see all those Floridians drown in their ravaged homes. 
   Critical thinking skills is very lacking for 'some' of your group.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 09:13:52 pm »
Because he's pissed absolutely everyone off. Absolutely and personally. Everyone he was going to need to get anything done.

They don't get elected to let their personal likes and dislikes determine their votes.

I sure as hell would blame them.  The fact that their whittle feewings got hurt doesn't excuse them not doing their damn jobs.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 09:28:01 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline skeeter

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 09:31:42 pm »
I wonder if somebody showed Trump a video of a Senator, reading from children's books in order to delay/block proceedings?

And his reply was "Let's get things moving. These suffering people need help now, not partisan politics as usual."

Oh brother.

Online corbe

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2017, 09:36:24 pm »
Oh brother.

I had to leave that alone @skeeter apparently reading children's books during a filibuster to stop obummercare and shutting the Govt down for 13 days is just not Trumpian enough for the Cruz haters.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2017, 09:39:51 pm »

It's eight dimensional chess and the art of the deal  22222frying pan
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2017, 09:46:46 pm »
   I had to leave that alone @skeeter apparently reading children's books during a filibuster to stop obummercare and shutting the Govt down for 13 days is just not Trumpian enough for the Cruz haters.

They really need to decide - do they want to 'drain the swamp' or do they wanna 'get things done'?