Author Topic: Trump to Jilted GOP: Inaction Led to Deal With Dems.  (Read 3825 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Trump to Jilted GOP: Inaction Led to Deal With Dems.
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:13:16 pm »
President Donald Trump on Friday delivered a message to congressional Republicans, essentially telling them their inaction led him to cut a deal with Democrats this week.

Amid GOP members’ collective frustration-venting in public this week about Trump’s decision to cut a deal with Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer, D-New York, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, Trump used a series of tweets to explain his choice — and give his fellow Republicans some instructions for the fall legislative session.

“Republicans, sorry, but I’ve been hearing about Repeal & Replace for 7 years, didn’t happen!” Trump tweeted, openly criticizing his own party and again showing his frustration with Republicans’ inability to get a bill through the Senate that would have partially repealed and replaced Barack Obama’s 2010 health care law.

Trump also used the Senate’s rules to justify his decision to strike a deal that led Senate leaders to attach a three-month debt ceiling suspension and three-month government-funding bill to a Hurricane Harvey relief bill and send it to the House. (It is slated for a final vote in that chamber around midday Friday.)

He called the Senate's legislative 60-vote threshold a "Repub Death Wish!” The president wrote the rule will “never allow the Republicans to pass even great legislation. 8 Dems control - will rarely get 60 (vs. 51) votes.”

Read more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/trump-to-jilted-gop-inaction-led-to-deal-with-dems
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Re: Trump to Jilted GOP: Inaction Led to Deal With Dems.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:14:37 pm »
Pathetic b***h of a president.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 03:16:40 pm »
President Donald Trump on Friday delivered a message to congressional Republicans, essentially telling them their inaction led him to cut a deal with Democrats this week.

Amid GOP members’ collective frustration-venting in public this week about Trump’s decision to cut a deal with Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer, D-New York, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, Trump used a series of tweets to explain his choice — and give his fellow Republicans some instructions for the fall legislative session.

“Republicans, sorry, but I’ve been hearing about Repeal & Replace for 7 years, didn’t happen!” Trump tweeted, openly criticizing his own party and again showing his frustration with Republicans’ inability to get a bill through the Senate that would have partially repealed and replaced Barack Obama’s 2010 health care law.

Trump also used the Senate’s rules to justify his decision to strike a deal that led Senate leaders to attach a three-month debt ceiling suspension and three-month government-funding bill to a Hurricane Harvey relief bill and send it to the House. (It is slated for a final vote in that chamber around midday Friday.)

He called the Senate's legislative 60-vote threshold a "Repub Death Wish!” The president wrote the rule will “never allow the Republicans to pass even great legislation. 8 Dems control - will rarely get 60 (vs. 51) votes.”

Read more at: http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/trump-to-jilted-gop-inaction-led-to-deal-with-dems

Isn't he the one who said the bill that didn't pass was "mean"?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 03:20:19 pm »

Right. But, if he's truly a guy with no principles, blows with the wind, difficult to work with, shifts blame and complains, wouldn't the natural human reaction be to call his bluff, put some legislation on his desk, and tell him to put up or shut up?

Regardless who Trump is or not, he's being painted as X, why then does the Congressional GOP not grab the opportunity when presented?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:33:29 pm »
Right. But, if he's truly a guy with no principles, blows with the wind, difficult to work with, shifts blame and complains, wouldn't the natural human reaction be to call his bluff, put some legislation on his desk, and tell him to put up or shut up?

Regardless who Trump is or not, he's being painted as X, why then does the Congressional GOP not grab the opportunity when presented?

Because they too are pathetic?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:39:48 pm »

That may be true, but in this case, he's absolutely right.  McConnell basically invited this by making statements about how he wasn't going to change Senate procedures, and that Trump "didn't understand" the way the Senate functioned, etc..

I honestly think we were close to the point where the Senate GOP wasn't going to pass anything of substance just to spite Trump, and to show him they wouldn't be bullied.

So while I think what Trump did was wrong as a matter of substantive policy, as a political tactic to wake them up, it was both clever and necessary.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 03:41:42 pm »

Yep. If they were putting out good legislation and Trump was vetoing it, I'd be the first to fire the 16 in. guns at him. But you can't do that till something crosses his desk.

I'm tired of hearing from the GOP peanut gallery about what a dastardly amoral bastard he is, as if that justifies them sitting on their hands. Prove it by showing the leadership to call his bluff.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 03:46:46 pm »
That may be true, but in this case, he's absolutely right.  McConnell basically invited this by making statements about how he wasn't going to change Senate procedures, and that Trump "didn't understand" the way the Senate functioned, etc..

I honestly think we were close to the point where the Senate GOP wasn't going to pass anything of substance just to spite Trump, and to show him they wouldn't be bullied.

So while I think what Trump did was wrong as a matter of substantive policy, as a political tactic to wake them up, it was both clever and necessary.

Good points.  Trump realized he could accomplish nothing if he couldn't somehow wake up his own side.  Contrary to things posted here, Trump had tried working with the Republicans, meeting with them and so on.

I'm not happy that he worked with two despicable Dems, but maybe it was a tactic.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 03:59:27 pm »

This is a direct response to John McCain's angry tirades in the past few weeks about the Senate not being subservient to the President.  Good work, Honest John.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 04:02:07 pm »

B I N G O ! ! !
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »
Yep. If they were putting out good legislation and Trump was vetoing it, I'd be the first to fire the 16 in. guns at him. But you can't do that till something crosses his desk.

I'm tired of hearing from the GOP peanut gallery about what a dastardly amoral bastard he is, as if that justifies them sitting on their hands. Prove it by showing the leadership to call his bluff.

ABSOLUTELY  right! 

:hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands:

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 04:29:35 pm »

How about not playing #@$@# politics and do the right thing for a change?  Yeah, it's great, Trump one-upped the Rs who were one-upped by the dems.  Fantastic.  How about doing the right thing for the citizens of this nation for a change?

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 04:34:47 pm »
How about not playing #@$@# politics and do the right thing for a change?  Yeah, it's great, Trump one-upped the Rs who were one-upped by the dems.  Fantastic.  How about doing the right thing for the citizens of this nation for a change?

Only if what is right for the citizens aligns with what is right for the self serving, swamp dwelling bastards who inhabit congress will that happen!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 05:30:28 pm »
Only if what is right for the citizens aligns with what is right for the self serving, swamp dwelling bastards who inhabit congress will that happen!

I know, Bigun.  The excuses are killing me!

Offline bilo

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 05:44:47 pm »

:amen: and a thousand times  :amen:

One of the biggest concerns with Pres. Trump has always been that he has no ideological foundation, but all the Pubs have to do is put legislation on his desk and he'll sign it. The direction we're heading now is Pres. Trump is surrounded by liberal advisors and the Rats are more than willing to work with him if they get some of what they want. So the party that proclaimed for 7 years we will repeal obamacare will lead us right into single payer. The "pro-life" party will continue funding planned parenthood. The party that is for reforming the tax code will give us some rate reductions along with the elimination of deductions so the net effect for those of us who actually pay taxes will be a tax increase.

What a mess.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2017, 05:49:25 pm »
Good points.  Trump realized he could accomplish nothing if he couldn't somehow wake up his own side.  Contrary to things posted here, Trump had tried working with the Republicans, meeting with them and so on.

I'm not happy that he worked with two despicable Dems, but maybe it was a tactic.

I think the thing the Pubs should really be worried about is Pres. Trump has no loyalty to the Pub party or it's proclaimed principals. Pres. Trump is looking to see things done so he can be credited for it.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2017, 05:49:33 pm »

:amen:

Far too many Republicans are more concerned about virtue signalling on the things they don't like about Trump rather than actually trying to accomplish things.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 06:00:06 pm »
How about not playing #@$@# politics and do the right thing for a change?

Because there's very little he can do if Congress continues sitting on its hands.  They are so worried about being linked to Trump that their No. 1 priority appears to be ensuring that the entire country knows how much they disapprove of his behavior.  And I'm not even exaggerating.  They should be casting votes, not shaking their heads reprovingly 24/7.

What he just did may actually make them realize that if they don't start passing legislation, they are going to be slaughtered next November.  No matter how much they try to distance themselves from him.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2017, 06:05:01 pm »
Because there's very little he can do if Congress continues sitting on its hands.  They are so worried about being linked to Trump that their No. 1 priority appears to be ensuring that the entire country knows how much they disapprove of his behavior.  And I'm not even exaggerating.  They should be casting votes, not shaking their heads reprovingly 24/7.

What he just did may actually make them realize that if they don't start passing legislation, they are going to be slaughtered next November.  No matter how much they try to distance themselves from him.

Nonsense.  One can always do the right thing.  Granted, it takes integrity and courage.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:06 pm »
Yep. The GOP went full force NeverTrump on him, so he said OK. If you guys want to go on strike for four years and do nothing, then I'll find another way to get something done.

And that is the issue. It is not as if the GOP is proposing different legislation than Trump, and Trump is vetoing it. The GOP is doing absolutely nothing, and refusing to allow anything at all to get done. The GOP has essentially shut down the legislative branch of government. When they behaved this way with Obama, we thought it was because the GOP was opposed to Obama's policies. Now, it seems that the GOP is opposed to any policy, no matter who is pushing it.

I mean, we all know the GOP worships the status-quo, but Good God, this is ridiculous. Why are they there? Why are they getting paid? For what? What have any of them done in the last six months that would deserve a paycheck?

Furthermore, Trump has McCain's head spinning even more than it normally does. McCain almost always sides with the Democrats. But now, if Trump starts working with Democrats, McCain won't know what to do. He doesn't want to do anything that may help anything that Trump wants. But, he hates to vote with Republicans.

It will be fun to watch McCain's head explode. (no pun intended)
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2017, 06:18:32 pm »
Yep. The GOP went full force NeverTrump on him, so he said OK. If you guys want to go on strike for four years and do nothing, then I'll find another way to get something done.

And that is the issue. It is not as if the GOP is proposing different legislation than Trump, and Trump is vetoing it. The GOP is doing absolutely nothing, and refusing to allow anything at all to get done. The GOP has essentially shut down the legislative branch of government. When they behaved this way with Obama, we thought it was because the GOP was opposed to Obama's policies. Now, it seems that the GOP is opposed to any policy, no matter who is pushing it.

I mean, we all know the GOP worships the status-quo, but Good God, this is ridiculous. Why are they there? Why are they getting paid? For what? What have any of them done in the last six months that would deserve a paycheck?

Furthermore, Trump has McCain's head spinning even more than it normally does. McCain almost always sides with the Democrats. But now, if Trump starts working with Democrats, McCain won't know what to do. He doesn't want to do anything that may help anything that Trump wants. But, he hates to vote with Republicans.

It will be fun to watch McCain's head explode. (no pun intended)

McCain will do what comes naturally.  He will continue to work with the dems.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 06:23:26 pm »

ALL of the swamp dwellers will do everything possible to preserve their swamp and anyone who didn't know that going in was delusional!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 06:23:54 pm »
:popcorn:

Offline musiclady

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 06:26:50 pm »
Nonsense.  One can always do the right thing.  Granted, it takes integrity and courage.

And that's why character always matters.

No matter how 'popular' and angry the campaign rhetoric is, a lack of integrity and courage leads to malleability and weakness.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2017, 06:31:19 pm »

Not on the Hurricane Relief/debt ceiling vote.  He voted "Nay" with the Republicans. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: