Author Topic: Congressman Charlie Dent will not seek re-election in 2018  (Read 444 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Congressman Charlie Dent will not seek re-election in 2018
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:19:41 am »
http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/capitol-ideas/mc-nws-charlie-dent-will-not-seek-reelection-in-2018-story.html

"Republican" U.S. Rep. Charlie Dent stunned his colleagues and constituents Thursday evening when the seven-term Lehigh Valley lawmaker announced that he will not seek re-election next year.

An outspoken figure within the dwindling center-right of the Republican Party, Dent has gained national prominence for this role within what he describes as the “governing” wing of the party. He is a co-chairman of the Tuesday Group, a caucus of moderates within the GOP, and from that post, he has called out colleagues who he views as blocking action in Congress.

He also told President Donald Trump — whom Dent declined to support in last year’s election — that he would not support the White House’s first major legislative push on health care.

Dent, 57, said his decision against an eighth term was one that had been building since 2013 and became final in mid-summer, after consulting with his family, close friends and senior staffers.

He intended to make a formal announcement in Allentown on Sunday, but after calling several friends to tell them personally Thursday evening, his decision was reported by City and State Pennsylvania, a Philadelphia news outlet.

The current political atmosphere in Washington was “a factor, to be sure,” he said, adding that “even the most simple basic tasks of government have become excruciatingly difficult.”

But Dent said his thinking was “driven by personal matters,” adding that he never expected to serve more than five or six terms and that his family would have preferred that he had stepped aside sooner.

“There’s not one thing that made me decide. It just seemed like the right time,” Dent said. “I’ve also noticed that there are some people — I’ll say this kindly -- who overstay, and I don’t want to be one of those folks who has been here too long. I’d rather leave when I’m at the top of my game.”

Dent is the latest in a series of Republicans from swing districts to announce their retirement; he follows Washington Rep. Dave Reichert and Florida Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, two other GOP incumbents who will be vacating districts that Democrats will seek to win back.

His announcement comes days after conservative Republican state Rep. Justin Simmons announced he was launching a primary challenge to Dent. The incumbent, who has a campaign war chest topping $1 million, said his decision had been made long before the challenger stepped forward.

“My re-election prospects were quite good,” Dent said. “I felt very strongly that if I decided to run again, I’d be in a strong position.”

In a phone interview Thursday night, Simmons said he expected Dent to not run but didn't expect him to announce that so soon.

“Congressman Dent made the right decision,” Simmons said. “His voting record was just not in line with the Republican Party anymore. He obviously saw the amazing support we were getting in just the past week and realized he couldn't win a primary against me.”

Dent, a 57-year-old Allentown native, has sailed to re-election repeatedly. But since last year’s election, he has not been shy about voicing his disagreements with the leader of his political party, Trump.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Congressman Charlie Dent will not seek re-election in 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 03:24:12 am »
This has been the feel good story of the week for me. Last week a popular Conservative state Rep not only decided to primary Chuck, but called him a lying turncoat. Now Chuck has figured out that since he isn't going to be running unopposed as usual, his ass is grass. I know Charlie and his a lying sack of shit liberal Rat. Next stop for him will be MSNBC to slam anything to the right of Pelosi.