Author Topic: Most Harvey Flood Victims on Hook to Pay for Home Repairs  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Suppressed

Re: Most Harvey Flood Victims on Hook to Pay for Home Repairs
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 02:12:36 pm »
I pay a heck of a lot for insurance because I choose to live here.  My choice, my money.  What I DO NOT want is for the federal government to tax other people to subsidize my risk.

Then you're not paying enough. Taxpayers living in Nebraska are subsidizing you when you buy flood insurance. 

As long as we subsidize people like you, @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer, people will continue to get flooded out and costing the taxpayer.

Flood insurance subsidies need to end.  The Biggert-Waters Act will help, but when we consider that even the creation of FIRMs is a form of subsidy (remember, the insurance companies used to pay for Sanborn fire-risk mapping), then we realize there's still a lot of taxpayer money going into people choosing to live in risky areas.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:20:08 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 02:22:27 pm »
It discussed dynamic modeling.

Yeah, I don't really trust "global models".

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 02:29:09 pm »
Then you're not paying enough. Taxpayers living in Nebraska are subsidizing you when you buy flood insurance. 

As long as we subsidize people like you, @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer, people will continue to get flooded out and costing the taxpayer.

Flood insurance subsidies need to end.  The Biggert-Waters Act will help, but when we consider that even the creation of FIRMs is a form of subsidy (remember, the insurance companies used to pay for Sanborn fire-risk mapping), then we realize there's still a lot of taxpayer money going into people choosing to live in risky areas.

I agree completely.  That was my point.  I don't want to be subsidized.  I want a free market to determine how much it costs for me to live where I want (or not).
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 04:12:10 pm »

In an unprecedented disaster like this one, it is where I expect the government to step in and give the taxpayer assistance, how many of the people affected didn't carry flood insurance because they weren't considered in a flood zone? I know that as soon as improvement were made that eliminated the flood zone my property was in I dropped flood insurance.

That should be backwards, frankly. We shouldn't subsidize people for building in flood zones and punish people for not building in flood zones.

Idiots who build in flood zones deserve financial ruin. Those that don't need support.

FEMA should only offer flood insurance to those that don't build in flood zones.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 04:34:00 pm »
That should be backwards, frankly. We shouldn't subsidize people for building in flood zones and punish people for not building in flood zones.

Idiots who build in flood zones deserve financial ruin. Those that don't need support.

FEMA should only offer flood insurance to those that don't build in flood zones.
Let ordinary insurance companies offer the insurance. I am not for Federal (taxpayer) subsidy of constructing buildings where they are almost guaranteed to be wiped out (NC's Outer Banks, for example).
If people want to build where there are hazards, and the underwriters won't insure them, then they should do so at their own risk, or not at all. There is a reason beach cottages once were simple affairs and generally spartan, not McMansions on the sea.

For some, that inevitably will lead to a loss of real estate, home sites, or homes, but I can see insurers offering flood insurance--all they need are satellite or air photos of the neighborhoods as the water goes down, and they'll be able to map their risk zones.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2017, 12:08:44 am »
I agree completely.  That was my point.  I don't want to be subsidized.  I want a free market to determine how much it costs for me to live where I want (or not).
..that's why we drink it here: :beer:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn