Author Topic: Conservatism Is Not A Suicide Pact  (Read 699 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Conservatism Is Not A Suicide Pact
« on: August 28, 2017, 01:20:52 pm »
Conservatism Is Not A Suicide Pact
Townhall, Aug 28, 2017, Kurt Schlichter

The whiny wailing and rending of garments (mostly bow ties) by the True Cons over President Trump pardoning Sheriff Joe Arpaio brings to mind another president’s choice when a loyal supporter was the victim of a liberal witch hunt. President Bush was an honorable man, but the way he allowed Scooter Libby and the Libby family to be ruined and impoverished over what everyone knew was a skeevy liberal political vendetta before issuing a partial commutation is to W’s lasting shame. His excuse: the Rule of Law or something.

But, as anyone willing to see knows, today the Rule of Law is a unicorn and it has been for a long time. I like the Rule of Law, and I’ve been warning for years about what happens when it goes away. Yet we are where we are, whether we like it or not. We’re in a land where the law is only intermittently and selectively applicable. Allowing allies to suffer in an effort to pretend that all is well is not going to bring the Rule of Law back. Nostalgia for the Rule of Law no excuse for tolerating an injustice to an ally. Hell, undoing injustices is what the pardon power is for.

More:  https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2017/08/28/conservatism-is-not-a-suicide-pact-n2373543

Oceander

Re: Conservatism Is Not A Suicide Pact
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 01:22:34 pm »
It is if you ally yourself with Trump. 

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 01:25:50 pm »

Its Schlichter, its all he has.

However, be careful he may put you in your place with a photo of himself in Iraq. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 01:28:51 pm »
When we only follow laws we like or which are convenient or just enforce them against the 'other side', we have no rule of law. Only the trappings of dictatorship, arbitrary and capricious punishment that violates the oldest precepts of jurisprudence found in the Magna Carta.

Invite lawlessness (anarchy) at great risk. It was from the ugliness of that we eventually grew to have a Republic, where all had Rights, and none were immune to the law.

Anyone who advocates a return to that is no student of history, or thinks they somehow will hold favor with those who hold power, often leading to a life that is nasty, brutish, and short.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 01:31:23 pm »

Predictable and boring.   **nononono*

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 01:32:21 pm »
Predictable and boring.   **nononono*

The truth can be that way sometimes. 

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 01:34:36 pm »
The truth can be that way sometimes.

How would you know?

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 01:35:00 pm »
Conservatism is a suicide pact with me.

Your move Schlichter.  :silly:

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 01:38:10 pm »
I have no problem with it. It sounds like Arpaio was a product of the Obama justice department determined to make an example of him for following the law as regards illegal aliens.  He might not be a perfect sheriff, but if he was singled out by  lib officials for disobeying Obama, I'm not sorry seeing him pardoned.