Author Topic: Massachusetts Hospital Worker Claims Record $758.7M Lottery Jackpot  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Massachusetts Hospital Worker Claims Record $758.7M Lottery Jackpot
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 06:25:16 am »
What to do when you win the lottery
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/03/18/what-to-do-when-you-win-the-lottery.html

According to this article, she did everything wrong. I'm having problems cutting and pasting because I have the app for CNBC and it's not letting me do it. :(

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 06:36:35 am »
What to do when you win the lottery
https://www.cnbc.com/2014/03/18/what-to-do-when-you-win-the-lottery.html

According to this article, she did everything wrong. I'm having problems cutting and pasting because I have the app for CNBC and it's not letting me do it. :(
Thanks, @Freya !

(It would be nice to have that problem.)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2017, 07:13:39 am »
Thanks, @Freya !

(It would be nice to have that problem.)

I think it would be a curse. I'd like about 10k so I could travel. I'd buy a house for my sister, invest money for my mom so she wouldn't need anything,  fund my godson for a free ride through college and grad school if he wanted. And give like 95% of it to charity.

Of course I'd buy a big dinner and drinks for everyone here, with plane tickets and hotel for spouses too. That goes without saying. And donuts for breakfast with @Cyber Liberty 's help.

And of course we women would HAVE to get a nice dress and shoes and bag  like Melania. :)

And I'd move into an apt with a washer dryer,  air conditioning and get a dog and  a cat. Do dogs get along with cats?

P.S. I had one number. I'm a sucker who played
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 07:15:56 am by Freya »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 08:12:51 am »
I think it would be a curse. I'd like about 10k so I could travel. I'd buy a house for my sister, invest money for my mom so she wouldn't need anything,  fund my godson for a free ride through college and grad school if he wanted. And give like 95% of it to charity.

Of course I'd buy a big dinner and drinks for everyone here, with plane tickets and hotel for spouses too. That goes without saying. And donuts for breakfast with @Cyber Liberty 's help.

And of course we women would HAVE to get a nice dress and shoes and bag  like Melania. :)

And I'd move into an apt with a washer dryer,  air conditioning and get a dog and  a cat. Do dogs get along with cats?

P.S. I had one number. I'm a sucker who played
I had six. I don't need much for me, but with this tribe I have around, I'd set up merit based trusts with definite goals and the means to achieve them. Blow it, and the amount goes down, get to the next level, and do better. Charity would get a chunk, but in such a way that it would be ongoing and reviewed, if I didn't just start my own.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
Where do you put $400 million? FDIC only insures to $250k.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2017, 01:48:17 pm »
I had six. I don't need much for me, but with this tribe I have around, I'd set up merit based trusts with definite goals and the means to achieve them. Blow it, and the amount goes down, get to the next level, and do better. Charity would get a chunk, but in such a way that it would be ongoing and reviewed, if I didn't just start my own.

Well, if you are giving some away, my birthday is next week. I'd like a dollar for a cup of coffee. :)
Just kidding. Did you get any numbers? I had one number last week but no power ball. :(

I never thought of starting my own charity. @Smokin Joe you are brilliant!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2017, 04:30:11 pm »
I'd set up some charitable foundations to support various community and religious organizations, which is why my first call would be to attorneys who know how to create such things, rather than to the state lottery to say, "It's me! I won!"
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2017, 05:55:47 pm »
Well, if you are giving some away, my birthday is next week. I'd like a dollar for a cup of coffee. :)
Just kidding. Did you get any numbers? I had one number last week but no power ball. :(

I never thought of starting my own charity. @Smokin Joe you are brilliant!
To be honest, I haven't checked.

C S Lewis

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2017, 07:35:40 pm »
I don't play the lottery. Nearing 70, I've never once bought a lottery ticket of any kind for myself. (I -have- bought tickets for others upon request a few times).

But... if I DID buy a winning ticket like this one -- the LAST thing I'd do is "go public" with it.

I'd put the winning ticket somewhere safe, then search for an attorney I could trust. I'd then have him act as my proxy, and place the claim with the request that my name NOT be made public. I believe the lottery agencies will respect one's wish to remain anonymous (I could be wrong). Then I'd produce the ticket. I wouldn't even visit the lottery office myself. If a signature is required, I'd do that by mail.

I'd take the payout (all at once), have the taxes paid off, and have the attorney deposit the check into a bank account (perhaps more than one).

And then... I'd keep my mouth shut about things.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2017, 07:45:19 pm »
Gee, things aren't looking good for this woman who won the lottery, if this story is true.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/The-Latest-Cops-boost-patrols-around-lottery-11958356.php

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 08:05:57 pm »
Gee, things aren't looking good for this woman who won the lottery, if this story is true.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/article/The-Latest-Cops-boost-patrols-around-lottery-11958356.php
That's a life changing amount of money, and makes her a target for every thief, con man, and the like out there.

She'd do better to quietly move to some rural/small town area where people might mind their own business more.

With a few donations to the local fire department and hospital and such, she'd likely be well looked after by the community.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 09:00:10 pm »
That's a life changing amount of money, and makes her a target for every thief, con man, and the like out there.

She'd do better to quietly move to some rural/small town area where people might mind their own business more.

With a few donations to the local fire department and hospital and such, she'd likely be well looked after by the community.

Don't take the lump sum.  Move somewhere with higher and more transparent corruption than the US, Malaysia perhaps.  Make big payoffs to local officials.

Now you've got a government that will protect you, and actually work FOR you.  And by not taking the lump sum, they can't squeeze you too hard as they want to protect the revenue stream.

Make small tribute to any opposition parties that have a okay chance of gaining power.  Explain that you can't pay much since you don't want to anger the parties currently in power, but if the power changes one day so will the direction of the big stacks.

Or move to Texas and buy the local high school a really sweet new football stadium.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 09:07:56 pm »
then search for an attorney I could trust.

Oh look. Fish made a funny
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 09:10:15 pm »
Don't take the lump sum.  Move somewhere with higher and more transparent corruption than the US, Malaysia perhaps.  Make big payoffs to local officials.

Now you've got a government that will protect you, and actually work FOR you.  And by not taking the lump sum, they can't squeeze you too hard as they want to protect the revenue stream.

Make small tribute to any opposition parties that have a okay chance of gaining power.  Explain that you can't pay much since you don't want to anger the parties currently in power, but if the power changes one day so will the direction of the big stacks.

Or move to Texas and buy the local high school a really sweet new football stadium.
In a lot of places, that new firehouse (likely a volunteer department), some equipment (a new fire engine is on the order of a million dollars nowadays), an Ambulance, a crash truck for car accidents, a training budget for EMS, and people will quietly come up to you on the street over time and thank you for the lives (and property) your donations helped save. Talk with the local PD and see where their budget shortfalls are (because there always are some) and get a wish list from the local hospital. Do some as outright donation, some big things as matching funds fundraisers (that way the entire community feels like it is something everyone did together), and your name will ever be blessed in that area. Walk softly, and make it plain you aren't looking for any special treatment, you just want to help make things possible for your adopted community and new home.

C S Lewis

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 09:28:00 pm »
Walk softly, and make it plain you aren't looking for any special treatment, you just want to help make things possible for your adopted community and new home.

That's one approach.

In talking to reporters in April, Keating said, "One question, among many raised in recent weeks, had to do with whether my financial support in any way influenced several political figures to take up my cause. I want to say in the most forceful way I can: I certainly hope so."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2017, 11:38:24 pm »
I never play the lottery because I figure I'd be unlucky enough to win... :shrug: