Author Topic: Merck's CEO resigned from Trump's manufacturing council over Charlottesville — and immediately faced Trump's ire  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
So why is Trump so desperately averse to naming these left wing nazis?

Do you have some evidence to support this assertion?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

You're a busy guy, this morning, @Once-Ler.

I don't understand this whole story.  Is this guy blaming Trump because of the Charlottesville events?  And does he have any reason to?
I think he expected the President to condemn a murder instead of many sides.  I suspect from his wording Mr. Frazier has second guessed his decision to associate himself with this Administration for some time and this was the final insult to his integrity.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Stay classy Mr President.

I was hoping adult Trump would continue, it look like he only lasted 48 hours. Child Trump is back.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Is he wrong?

No, he is not wrong.

In fact, he may be really right.

Our fears of seeming to be prejudiced have caused us to ignore, or even condone, egregious behavior from all sorts of leftist groups and from BLM type groups.

This has, of course, just ignited the hate in the white supremacy type groups and it reached a boiling point.

It all needs to stop.

I don't fault Trump for pointing out that there has been bad behavior from the leftist groups and it has been tolerated and even applauded.

Offline dfwgator

No, he is not wrong.

In fact, he may be really right.

Our fears of seeming to be prejudiced have caused us to ignore, or even condone, egregious behavior from all sorts of leftist groups and from BLM type groups.

This has, of course, just ignited the hate in the white supremacy type groups and it reached a boiling point.

It all needs to stop.

I don't fault Trump for pointing out that there has been bad behavior from the leftist groups and it has been tolerated and even applauded.

In fact, one good thing that may come out of this is that the general public will finally learn about the antifas.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
You're talking about the Merck guy right?

Here I go, sort of defending Trump again, but why are we totally focusing on the tweet.

Yes, the tweet was the sort of stupid thing Trump does giving ammunition to his foes who jump on it with crazed delight.

But are we so shallow as to ignore the bigger issue here?  It seems that we are.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

Yeah that might have been nice, but that's not what he did. He personally attacked Merck for something irrelevant: drug prices.

You really do live in your own reality, don't you Emjay?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Yeah that might have been nice, but that's not what he did. He personally attacked Merck for something irrelevant: drug prices.

Criticizing Merck for inflated drug prices is just as relevant as Mercks criticism of Trump for this event.

Drug prices are something many Americans care about.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Everyone does, Weird.

Trump addressed the core issues in his statement about the event.

The tweet was just a Trump thing and a chance for Trump to take a dig at a guy who took a dig at him.

Yes, the tweet was childish but get over it, it's what he does.  I'm simply saying he was right to address the big picture here instead of glomming on to the tragedy and exploiting it as a lot of politicians and the Merck guy did.

• Technical
Criticizing Merck for inflated drug prices is just as relevant as Mercks criticism of Trump for this event.

Drug prices are something many Americans care about.

Hahaha! Two wrongs make a right then?

Offline RoosGirl

Here I go, sort of defending Trump again, but why are we totally focusing on the tweet.

Yes, the tweet was the sort of stupid thing Trump does giving ammunition to his foes who jump on it with crazed delight.

But are we so shallow as to ignore the bigger issue here?  It seems that we are.

You have a consistent belief that we must focus on one problem instead of all the problems.  Congratulations at least on being consistent.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline ABX

Everyone does, Weird.

Trump addressed the core issues in his statement about the event.

The tweet was just a Trump thing and a chance for Trump to take a dig at a guy who took a dig at him.

Yes, the tweet was childish but get over it, it's what he does.  I'm simply saying he was right to address the big picture here instead of glomming on to the tragedy and exploiting it as a lot of politicians and the Merck guy did.

Because Trump has a very bad pattern, and we even saw this during the campaign, that every time he does something good or gets in a good position on something, he immediately sabotages himself. This is a perfect example. He was commanding the events and being an adult, tweeting like an adult, and he had an opportunity to lead and be a voice that helps improve things.

...then he reverts to petulant child mode again. Not 10 minutes after that excellent speech he made.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Hahaha! Two wrongs make a right then?

That's a playground statement.  Worthy of a Trump tweet.

No, two wrongs don't make a right, but they do make TWO wrongs, not just one.

And 'he hit me first' to use another playground thingee, doesn't work either.  Or maybe it does.  What do you do when someone hits you?  Hit back?  Try to reason with the person?  Run?

Run would be my choice but actions have consequences.  Rage has been festering in these groups called alt-right for years and not without cause.

Why weren't previous dangerous rallies and actions by leftist groups condemned?  Why are we so afraid to condemn them?

And so, now I have to say I totally despise these nazi groups and I decry the senseless murder of the bystanders.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Because Trump has a very bad pattern, and we even saw this during the campaign, that every time he does something good or gets in a good position on something, he immediately sabotages himself. This is a perfect example. He was commanding the events and being an adult, tweeting like an adult, and he had an opportunity to lead and be a voice that helps improve things.

...then he reverts to petulant child mode again. Not 10 minutes after that excellent speech he made.

I could not agree with you more.  It's amazing that Trump can walk ... he's shot himself in the foot so many times.

He is wasting a golden opportunity to be a good president by his inability to control his childish instincts.

Maybe if he had been President in a different era, before Twitter existed, we would have a different picture of him.

I cannot believe that there is no one who can take him aside and explain things to him but apparently not.

• Technical
No, two wrongs don't make a right, but they do make TWO wrongs, not just one.

:huh?:

Offline ABX

I could not agree with you more.  It's amazing that Trump can walk ... he's shot himself in the foot so many times.

He is wasting a golden opportunity to be a good president by his inability to control his childish instincts.

Maybe if he had been President in a different era, before Twitter existed, we would have a different picture of him.

I cannot believe that there is no one who can take him aside and explain things to him but apparently not.

The real frustrating part though, he isn't just sabotaging himself, he is sabotaging issues for conservatives in general when he does this. The discussion doesn't become the merits of the issue, but 'what Trump said'...

Offline dfwgator

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The real frustrating part though, he isn't just sabotaging himself, he is sabotaging issues for conservatives in general when he does this. The discussion doesn't become the merits of the issue, but 'what Trump said'...

So true and it's totally evident right here on this thread. 

We're not discussing the events or Trump's original statement, which was excellent.

We're discussing Trump's tweet, which has distracted from a sensible discussion.

I just read an excellent article by Alan West... It is the definitive take on the whole sistuation.

If you want to read it, here's a link:

https://www.allenbwest.com/2017/08/13/ok-folks-heres-really-happened-charlottesville-everyone-missing/

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Stay classy Mr President.

Hilarious, since Trump charges almost $1200 a night for a suite in his DC hotel.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Hilarious, since Trump charges almost $1200 a night for a suite in his DC hotel.

Talk about your non sequitur.

Is there some relevance to this discussion in hotel rates?

Until Trump gives an executive order that I have to stay in his hotel, I don't care.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Talk about your non sequitur.

Is there some relevance to this discussion in hotel rates?

Don't be obtuse.  He attacked the Merck CEO for rip off rates.  He has a lot of nerve.  It can cost billions to get one drug to market. Prices are often initially high to recoup the cost of R&D and manufacturing. Those prices eventually come down with mass production and generics.   Pharmaceutical save lives. His business is about nonessential overly priced luxury items.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Don't be obtuse.  He attacked the Merck CEO for rip off rates.  He has a lot of nerve.  It can cost billions to get one drug to market. Prices are often initially high to recoup the cost of R&D and manufacturing. Those prices eventually come down with mass production and generics.   Pharmaceutical save lives. His business is about nonessential overly priced luxury items.

You should have made your post more clear.  Don't blame me when you come out of the blue with hotel rates.

I understand the reasons drug rates are high.  I understand that it takes a long time to recoup what the Pharmas spend to get a drug tested and to market.  And they have only a few years to recoup because once the generics are approved, most big profit is gone.  I can get Valium for 29 cents and sometimes I need it.

But what does that have to do with hotel rates?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Yeah, and it costs millions to build a hotel.

Though you can save money if you stiff a few contractors.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.