Author Topic: My Party Is in Denial About Donald Trump  (Read 392 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
My Party Is in Denial About Donald Trump
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:59:58 pm »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/07/31/my-party-is-in-denial-about-donald-trump-215442

I’ve been sympathetic to this impulse to denial, as one doesn’t ever want to believe that the government of the United States has been made dysfunctional at the highest levels, especially by the actions of one’s own party. Michael Gerson, a con­servative columnist and former senior adviser to President George W. Bush, wrote, four months into the new presidency, “The conservative mind, in some very visible cases, has become diseased,” and conservative institutions “with the blessings of a president … have abandoned the normal constraints of reason and compassion.”

Offline cato potatoe

Re: My Party Is in Denial About Donald Trump
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:26:09 am »
I would take issue with his definition of conservative, but agree with everything else.  Hopefully other congressmen will develop similar courage.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:34:30 am »
one doesn’t ever want to believe that the government of the United States has been made dysfunctional at the highest levels

A little slow on the uptake, eh?

If you didn't get it during the past 25 years but then suddenly had a revelation is definitely a You problem.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:40:40 am »
Flake?

Flake wouldn't know what Conservatism was if it bit him in the ass. 

Lying sack that he is.  Mr. Beefcake "I lied about term limiting myself".

Flake was one of the notorious morons in the Gang of 8 McCain/Rubio/Grahamnesty Amnesty bill.

He was one of the architects of creating the atmosphere that Trump capitalized on.

His party is in denial about what their abandonment of Principled Conservatism is going to cost them and the country.

But truth be told, they don't care.  They want big statism as readily as the Democrats do.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:32:07 am »

Flake?

Flake wouldn't know what Conservatism was if it bit him in the ass. 

Lying sack that he is.  Mr. Beefcake "I lied about term limiting myself".

Flake was one of the notorious morons in the Gang of 8 McCain/Rubio/Grahamnesty Amnesty bill.

He was one of the architects of creating the atmosphere that Trump capitalized on.

His party is in denial about what their abandonment of Principled Conservatism is going to cost them and the country.

But truth be told, they don't care.  They want big statism as readily as the Democrats do.

888high58888

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:39:08 am »
The regret will drive some over the edge.