Author Topic: Hackers Breach Dozens of Voting Machines Brought To Conference  (Read 423 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
thehill
By Joe Uchill - 07/29/17 06:21 PM EDT

[excerpt]

http://thehill.com/policy/cybersecurity/344488-hackers-break-into-voting-machines-in-minutes-at-hacking-competition

LAS VEGAS — One of the nation’s largest cybersecurity conferences is inviting attendees to get hands-on experience hacking a slew of voting machines, demonstrating to researchers how easy the process can be.

“It took me only a few minutes to see how to hack it,” said security consultant Thomas Richards, glancing at a Premier Election Solutions machine currently in use in Georgia.

The DEF CON cybersecurity conference is held annually in Las Vegas. This year, for the first time, the conference is hosting a "Voting Machine Village," where attendees can try to hack a number of systems and help catch vulnerabilities.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline DB

Re: Hackers Breach Dozens of Voting Machines Brought To Conference
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:32:16 pm »
There's another thread here somewhere about the same story.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:41:31 pm »
Articles like this don't really tell me much.

Are the hackers allowed to hook up computers to individual machines? How long? Are they secure machines? I mean, if they have to connect to each computer and break each one, how long does it take them. Is there a way for people to see if computers have been tampered with (code changed)? Can they hack these voter boxes via wireless? Can they mass program a bunch at a time? What is background of those they allowed to hack, are they prone to give the information to liberals?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:43:27 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:56:27 pm »
Articles like this don't really tell me much.

Are the hackers allowed to hook up computers to individual machines? How long? Are they secure machines? I mean, if they have to connect to each computer and break each one, how long does it take them. Is there a way for people to see if computers have been tampered with (code changed)? Can they hack these voter boxes via wireless? Can they mass program a bunch at a time? What is background of those they allowed to hack, are they prone to give the information to liberals?

Ask the same questions about paper ballots.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 10:33:18 pm »
“It took me only a few minutes to see how to hack it,” said security consultant Thomas Richards, glancing at a Premier Election Solutions machine currently in use in Georgia.

Oh! IOW, Windows.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 02:23:23 am »
"Tech minds at the annual "DEF CON" in Las Vegas were given physical voting machines and remote access, with the instructions of gaining access to the software."
----------------------------
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/07/hackers_in_competition_breach_voting_machine_security_in_minutes.html

Well there you go! Remote access and instructions.  All the voting machines in the counties around where I live (central CA) are the "Scantron" type "fill in the bubble" paper ballots that get scanned by a reader machine. The original paper ballots are retained for recounts, etc..  The scanner/reader machine has no remote access, so if watched over and handled like a ballot box it has about no chance of "hacking". 

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:04:53 am »
"Tech minds at the annual "DEF CON" in Las Vegas were given physical voting machines and remote access, with the instructions of gaining access to the software."
----------------------------
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/07/hackers_in_competition_breach_voting_machine_security_in_minutes.html

Well there you go! Remote access and instructions.  All the voting machines in the counties around where I live (central CA) are the "Scantron" type "fill in the bubble" paper ballots that get scanned by a reader machine. The original paper ballots are retained for recounts, etc..  The scanner/reader machine has no remote access, so if watched over and handled like a ballot box it has about no chance of "hacking".

A paper record is essentially the only thing that can be audited with some faith it is legitimate. Every paper ballot should have a machine readable serial number (don't know if they do) and that would also help with ballot stuffing. The chain of custody could then be followed along with any duplicates.