Author Topic: Trump transgender decision rattles Pentagon  (Read 429 times)

Online corbe

Trump transgender decision rattles Pentagon
« on: July 30, 2017, 04:44:54 pm »
Trump transgender decision rattles Pentagon

By Rebecca Kheel and Ellen Mitchell - 07/30/17 06:01 AM EDT

President Trump’s announcement that he plans to ban transgender people from serving in the military made an end run around Defense Secretary James Mattis, calling into question a relationship that so far has seemed solid.

Until now, Trump has given Mattis latitude to do as he sees fit, granting the retired four-star general power to manage troop levels and other operational aspects of the United States’ wars in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan.

But on the issue of transgender troops, conservatives who worried that Mattis was steamrolling them won out, with Trump siding with them less than a month after Mattis committed to a six-month review of the issue.

“It’s never a good sign when a major policy pronouncement is made that was clearly not coordinated with senior leadership,” said a source familiar with the matter. “I can tell you, no matter how they’re spinning it, I was there that day, and everybody was caught — all the senior officers who were left there with Gen. Mattis on vacation — they were all caught totally flat footed. They were all scrambling, because they were getting killed by Congress for not giving a heads up.”
On Wednesday, Trump declared on Twitter the military would have a new policy on transgender service members.

The military, Trump said, would “not accept or allow” transgender people to serve “in any capacity.” Trump claimed he made the decision after consultation with “my generals and military experts.”

The White House said Wednesday that Trump made his decision on Tuesday and informed Mattis that day.

But on Thursday, the Pentagon made clear that it does not consider a tweet an order. Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford said the current transgender policy will remain unchanged until Trump sends an official directive to the Pentagon.

Transgender troops have been able to serve openly since the Obama administration lifted the ban in summer 2016. New transgender recruits have not been able to enlist, which was supposed to change on July 1.

Trump’s proclamation came while Mattis was on vacation in the Pacific Northwest, and Mattis did not interrupt his time off to make any statement on the announcement.

On the last day of June, Mattis announced he was reviewing the Pentagon’s transgender policy after deciding to delay the new enlistment policy for another six months.

House conservatives, though, were frustrated with Mattis, who opposed their efforts to ban Pentagon funding for transition-related medical care. They turned to the White House for help, indicating the issue might prompt them to oppose a wide-ranging spending bill the House eventually passed this week.

A source close to top Pentagon officials said they believe Mattis and Dunford feel “chagrined” with Trump's untimely and unexpected Wednesday announcement.

“The secretary of Defense had a process initiated to determine the goods and the bads” of transgender individuals serving in the military, one of these sources said.

“To have to go through that, and having it ripped out of your hand and being determined by your commander in chief — though he is allowed to do that — I think it frustrated those who have been working on it, as though all that work has been for not.

“It's like you’re just about to announce the second runner up of the beauty pageant and someone runs out and announces the winner. It kind of steals the show.”

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/344391-trump-transgender-decision-rattles-pentagon
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: Trump transgender decision rattles Pentagon
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 04:55:53 pm »
If banning Trannies 'rattles' the Pentagon,

We are all well and truly fu***d.

I mean if banning perverts who cannot decide if their plumbing is male or female RATTLES the Pentagon, I imagine NORK ICBMS will cause all of them to sh*t trou and go run screaming for mommies skirt.

Thanks Obama.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 05:04:58 pm »
“The secretary of Defense had a process initiated to determine the goods and the bads” of transgender individuals serving in the military, one of these sources said.

“To have to go through that, and having it ripped out of your hand and being determined by your commander in chief — though he is allowed to do that — I think it frustrated those who have been working on it, as though all that work has been for not.

This just doesn't make sense to me, nor jibe with everything I had previously heard about 'Mad Dog'.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 05:10:11 pm »
The Pentagon folks may have been blindsided by the tweets, but I doubt any of them objects to the substance of what the president said.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org