Author Topic: Could space pay for a universal basic income?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Could space pay for a universal basic income?
« on: July 24, 2017, 02:40:12 am »
Boston Globe by  Jacob Haqq-Misra 7/23/2017

The idea of a universal basic income is gaining traction, in think tanks and in Silicon Valley, as a response to the rise of outsourced and automated labor. If everyone were guaranteed a minimum salary to meet the basic needs of food and shelter, so the argument goes, then people would be free to allocate their time according to their own preferences. A universal basic income could alleviate poverty, reward traditionally unpaid labor, and encourage entrepreneurial risk-taking.

But who would pay for such an expensive social experiment? Taxes on the wealthy and cuts to military spending are oft-cited solutions that seem unlikely to gain political momentum. Perhaps we should look at the looming space economy. The resources of space are plentiful, which international treaties say are for the benefit of all — but, for better or worse, could end up conveying their greatest benefits upon the wealthiest. If space is really the domain of all people and nations, then perhaps the wealth of space should be shared in the hands of everyone.

Why not plan for that, aligning the forces creating inequality with a solution to inequality? The emerging industries of space mining and tourism could potentially sustain a basic income for everyone.

More: https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2017/07/22/could-space-pay-for-universal-basic-income/tSQzfEuJxf1L3LcAsBRXcK/story.html

Oceander

Re: Could space pay for a universal basic income?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:00 am »
In a word, no.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 04:13:21 am »
We already have it in western countries. It is called public assistance - i.e. welfare.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 02:08:28 pm »
Ah, the eternal pipe dreams of the tax and spend libs. Hoping a new golden egg laying goose is born to fund their nanny state........

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2017, 03:39:35 pm »
Ah, the eternal pipe dreams of the tax and spend libs. Hoping a new golden egg laying goose is born to fund their nanny state........

But, we're sure communism will work, this time.  *****rollingeyes*****
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 04:14:35 pm »
I'm convinced that liberals just plain don't want to work.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 04:16:38 pm »

But, we're sure communism will work, this time.  *****rollingeyes*****

Yep, when the "right" people run it. it will surely work to create a paradise on Earth.......

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 04:26:57 pm »
I'm convinced that liberals just plain don't want to work.

They just want to bang on the drum all day.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 04:30:02 pm »
Talk like this is how to kill space based industry in the womb.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 04:46:32 pm »
Talk like this is how to kill space based industry in the womb.
In their minds, that's a feature, not a bug.......

Offline rodamala

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 05:45:40 pm »
In a word, no.

In two words, f*** no.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 07:20:12 pm »
There ain't enough money in the world for a guaranteed minimum income.  Any moron can see that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 07:21:18 pm »
There ain't enough money in the world for a guaranteed minimum income.  Any moron can see that.

I've debated it myself (as a substitute for existing programs)... however, i'm not sure you could implement it without causing massive inflation.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 07:22:43 pm »

Only a liberal could skip over a whole new economic tree creating jobs and go right to using it to pay people to do nothing.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 07:52:04 pm »
All I have to do is look at my sister (and others I know, but I know her best).  She's a deadbeat and a thief, and no matter how much dough she can scam from people, it's never enough and she always goes back for more.  How anybody can believe the thirst for cash by a deadbeat can be sated is beyond me.

No matter how much cash you throw at a grifter, they'll always be poor and pathetic.  As dead broke as the Clintons when they left the White House.  Factor in the amazing level of inflation just attempting to create a guaranteed minimum income, and the entire economy would go down the tubes in a matter of months, if not weeks.

The concept ignores the real value of money.  Why does it exist?  To parcel out scarcity.  A GMI ignores the existence of it.  Free everything for everybody!  Stupidest damned thing I've ever heard of.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 08:03:57 am »
All I have to do is look at my sister (and others I know, but I know her best).  She's a deadbeat and a thief, and no matter how much dough she can scam from people, it's never enough and she always goes back for more.  How anybody can believe the thirst for cash by a deadbeat can be sated is beyond me.

No matter how much cash you throw at a grifter, they'll always be poor and pathetic.  As dead broke as the Clintons when they left the White House.  Factor in the amazing level of inflation just attempting to create a guaranteed minimum income, and the entire economy would go down the tubes in a matter of months, if not weeks.

The concept ignores the real value of money.  Why does it exist?  To parcel out scarcity.  A GMI ignores the existence of it.  Free everything for everybody!  Stupidest damned thing I've ever heard of.

Star Trek generation... Never mind reality...