Author Topic: What if McCain leaves office? Here's how the process works  (Read 748 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What if McCain leaves office? Here's how the process works
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:54:51 pm »
Mary Jo Pitzl, The Republic | azcentral.com Published 9:11 p.m. MT July 19, 2017 | Updated 10:26 p.m. MT July 19, 2017

If Sen. John McCain were to leave the Senate before his term ends in 2022, the governor would decide who fills the vacancy.

McCain, who revealed Wednesday that he had been diagnosed with a brain tumor, made no indication he intends to step away.

"Further consultations with Senator McCain's Mayo Clinic care team will indicate when he will return to the United States Senate,” his office said in a statement.

But were circumstances to require that McCain be replaced, that person would have to be a Republican, as McCain is, and would serve until the next general election, which happens every two years in Arizona. Whoever was elected would then fill out the rest of McCain's term, according to state law.

more
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/arizona/2017/07/20/what-if-senator-mccain-leaves-office-how-process-works/494621001/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Mom MD

Re: What if McCain leaves office? Here's how the process works
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:57:52 pm »
I don't see physically how he can return.  But that didn't stop Robert Byrd or strom tburmond
God is still in control

Offline Millee

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 02:10:35 pm »
You'd think he'd want to spend his remaining days with his family, but politicians are a different breed of cat.  :shrug:

Offline bilo

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 02:10:52 pm »
I don't see physically how he can return.  But that didn't stop Robert Byrd or strom tburmond

I'm sure he will get the best medical care in the country, especially since he's exempted from obamacare!

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 05:10:47 pm »
McCain tweets he'll be 'back soon' after brain cancer diagnosis
Published July 20, 2017
Fox News

McCain's is 'most malignant of brain tumors'

Sen. John McCain expressed on Thursday his gratitude for the support that he has received since he was diagnosed with an aggressive brain tumor – along with some "unfortunate" news for some of his colleagues.

“I greatly appreciate the outpouring of support – unfortunately for my sparring partners in Congress, I’ll be back soon, so stand-by!” McCain, R-Ariz., tweeted Thursday morning.

More: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/07/20/mccain-tweets-hell-be-back-soon-after-brain-cancer-diagnosis.html

Maybe there could be a merging of multiple threads, a John McCain thread or something.

I also saw Sen. Graham interviewed.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 07:58:55 pm »
I wonder why he has to decide whether to return or not.

Seems the state of Arizona, which he represents, should have some say so in his capabilities to serve further. 
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 05:38:25 am »
You'd think he'd want to spend his remaining days with his family, but politicians are a different breed of cat.  :shrug:

He DOES want to spend the rest of his life with his family!
It's just that he considers the DC lobbyists to be his family!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao