Author Topic: The President We Have Versus the President We Need  (Read 2711 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
The President We Have Versus the President We Need
« on: July 10, 2017, 05:42:57 am »
The President We Have Versus the President We Need

How we get there from here

By Daniel L. Davis & Frances L. Garcia • July 10, 2017

On the 4th of July, 1801, President Thomas Jefferson first opened the White House—dubbed “the People’s House”—for a public reception celebrating the nation’s birth. All the dignity and grace with which Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Independence was on display. The president and White House were both sources of immense national pride for the American people. How tragically far we’ve fallen since those honorable days.

Before laying the blame entirely on the shoulders of the current occupant of the Oval Office, however, we would do well to examine some other contributing factors. As it turns out, President Trump—who is, by the way, solely responsible for his singularly irresponsible behavior—is nevertheless more a symptom than the core problem. 

In just the latest of scores of such displays since his inauguration, President Trump recently reached two new lows in staining the office of the presidency. On June 29, he tweeted that MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski were “low I.Q. Crazy Mika” and “psycho Joe.”  Just days later, the president tweeted a caricature of himself body-slamming a fictionalized CNN reporter. 

In the most charitable rendering possible, such behavior is akin to an immature high school sophomore; it is so far beneath what used to be the dignity of the White House, that it is without modern precedent. The question is, how did such a juvenile person get elected to the nation’s highest office? The answer is instructive and should serve as a warning for both the coming midterms and the 2020 presidential election......

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-president-we-have-versus-the-president-we-need/
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Applewood

Re: The President We Have Versus the President We Need
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 11:13:46 am »
Well, this should get the Trump supporters in a lather. 

It's so frustrating. We've had presidents who could have been great, who could have done great things, but they've been mired in petty squabbles,  let their fragile egos get the best of them and blundered through issues that should have been resolved with ease.  On top of that, our last president was hell bent on destroying America in the name of transformation, and he damm nearly succeeded.  I had hoped the next president could undo the damage of the last.  Trump has made some effort in that regard, but for every good thing he has done, he has then consistently reverted to the personna of a 2 year old petulant child.   

People say it's the culture of greed and partisanship in Washington that is bringing us down, and that may be so, but a good president should be able to rise above that.  President Reagan used whatever he needed to get things done.  He pressed the flesh and schmoozed, but he also could be tough when necessary and on occasion he may have made compromises.  More recent presidents are not willing to do that. This president thinks by throwing his weight around, he can get his way. Then he wonders why people are turned off and won't work with him to accomplish his promised agenda.  For a guy who was so successful at the so-called art of the deal in business, Trump just can't seem to work with anyone as president.  This inability should concern him because he was hired to serve the people and as long as he is bogged down like this, the people are not being served.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:41:58 am »
Sadly the President we have is the one the country deserves given the current political scene in DC.

A modern day PT Barnum riding herd over 600 poo flinging monkeys occupying the House and Senate.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 11:47:18 am »
As the field was whittled down to three in March 2016, the GOP did all it could to derail Trump and work to elect either Senators John Kasich or Ted Cruz.
Kasich, maybe. I don't recall the GOP establishment doing anything to help the remaining conservative.
Many who voted for Trump, however, now have buyer’s remorse because most never imagined he would be quite this petulant. (emphasis mine)
Perhaps that's true, but such a claim should be accompanied by supporting facts.  Just saying "many have buyer's remorse" and "most never imagined" doesn't make it so. Do a legitimate scientific survey asking Trump voters whether they have buyer's remorse and/or never imagined DJT would be "this petulant." (How petulant? How is petulance measured?) These are opinions pretending to be facts.

Lest anyone think I'm commenting as a devoted Trump supporter, I'm not - and never have been. I was sorely disappointed that he was the surviving candidate opposing the Hilldebeaste.

Just saying that the article is poorly written.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 11:48:24 am »
And we're off ... someone's opinion is again masquerading as actual Political news.  It will be interesting to see how much oxygen and energy this thread takes out of the Politics Forum .... until it's locked, that is.

:thumbsup2:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 11:50:12 am »
And we're off ... someone's opinion is again masquerading as actual Political news.  It will be interesting to see how much oxygen and energy this thread takes out of the Politics Forum .... until it's locked, that is.

Aren't you precious when you act like  Moderator.

Bless your heart.

Have you ever thought of applying to become a Mod?
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:56:43 am »
Aren't you precious when you act like  Moderator.   

Actually, I'm precious  24/7.    ^-^

Have you ever thought of applying to become a Mod? 

Methinks that's the last suggestion you should be making to me. 

Have a fun day in cyberspace @txradioguy ....    :seeya:

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:57:08 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Concerned

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:06:26 pm »
This president thinks by throwing his weight around, he can get his way. Then he wonders why people are turned off and won't work with him to accomplish his promised agenda.  For a guy who was so successful at the so-called art of the deal in business, Trump just can't seem to work with anyone as president.  This inability should concern him because he was hired to serve the people and as long as he is bogged down like this, the people are not being served.

This is the thing that has really disappointed me so far.  President Trump sold himself as a great negotiator yet he seems completely incapable of digging sufficiently deep into policy to broker deals, even within his own party.  Although we knew prior to and during the campaign that he could act like a petulant child, I had hoped that the weight of the office would cause him to act Presidential.  Unfortunately, he’s continuing to engage in petty little squabbles.   

I just wish he'd STOP THIS NONSENSE and focus on policy and the American people!  If he's really a deal-maker, there's plenty of places he could leverage his deal-making skills (e.g., Healthcare, North Korea, taxes, etc.)!
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 12:29:59 pm »

No worse than your nauseating puff pieces masquerading as "news." "Oh, Melania is SO dignified! SQUEE!"
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 12:32:55 pm »
No worse than your nauseating puff pieces masquerading as "news." "Oh, Melania is SO dignified! SQUEE!"

And you don't believe that Melania Trump, as 1st Lady, has been displaying a "dignified" manner?     :whistle:

Or...are you just pissed off at  @Right_in_Virginia and felt compelled to post this sh*t?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 12:34:17 pm »
This is the thing that has really disappointed me so far.  President Trump sold himself as a great negotiator yet he seems completely incapable of digging sufficiently deep into policy to broker deals, even within his own party.  Although we knew prior to and during the campaign that he could act like a petulant child, I had hoped that the weight of the office would cause him to act Presidential.  Unfortunately, he’s continuing to engage in petty little squabbles.   

I just wish he'd STOP THIS NONSENSE and focus on policy and the American people!  If he's really a deal-maker, there's plenty of places he could leverage his deal-making skills (e.g., Healthcare, North Korea, taxes, etc.)!

He was never a great negotiator. He was a showman a manipulator and a bully.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 12:47:05 pm »
He is ignorant of the process of governing and then at the most inopportune moment he tweets something ignorant and upsets the apple cart.
His unelected family members are proving to be  a detriment to a civilized society.   Rather than staying focused on issues they are all busy hurling insults and thinking they are just so soo sooo clever.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 12:47:17 pm »

I don't believe the article was intended as news.  I know much of the time it's hard to tell news vs.opinion, but this was obviously opinion to me.

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 12:48:38 pm »
I don't believe the article was intended as news.  I know much of the time it's hard to tell news vs.opinion, but this was obviously opinion to me.

Its currently in  General Category » Politics »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 12:49:08 pm »

Then, why is it STILL in POLITICS category?

@Mod1   @mystery-ak
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jpsb

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 01:04:17 pm »
I like President Trump. I liked Ike and I liked Reagan. I hope I still like President Trump 8 years from now, I think I will.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 01:04:21 pm »

@Mod1   @mystery-ak

Maybe because the subject is POLITICS? 

Of all things to get your shorts in a knot over...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 01:05:51 pm »

@Mod1   @mystery-ak

Hey you know that Mod application is out there for you too if you think you can do a better job than the people that do run TBR.

Just sayin... :whistle:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:13:56 pm by txradioguy »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2017, 02:20:26 pm »
Hey you know that Mod application is out there for you too if you think you can do a better job than the people that do run TBR.

Just sayin... :whistle:

Meh.....of course I could do a better job.    I'm a Trump guy.

We make the world's BEST moderators.   :laugh:

Offline rodamala

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:14 pm »
Well, this should get the Trump supporters in a lather. 

TomSea, jazzhead, RiV, et al inbound in 3... 2... 1...

Offline rodamala

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2017, 02:37:08 pm »
Have you ever thought of applying to become a Mod [on TOS]?

@txradioguy
Fixed it.  The day they make RiV a mod, is the day I am sitebanned here.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2017, 02:46:10 pm »
As I have said on other threads, I have partitioned my opinion of Trump on two different levels.

As a person he is a despicable piece of shit.  Has been, is, and probably always will.  His personal life, tweets, comments, etc. are beyond cringeworthy.

As a president, he is doing a whole lot right than wrong.  Thank God we didn't get the crooked bitch in there.  As long as he keeps up governing like he is right now, I am going to give him my support.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2017, 02:53:51 pm »
I can't argue with that, catfish. To this day, I cringe that he actually was elected, but am realistic (and fair) enough to acknowledge he's done some good things.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 03:07:10 pm »
He was never a great negotiator. He was a showman a manipulator and a bully.
"I had hoped that the weight of the office would cause him to act Presidential.  Unfortunately, he’s continuing to engage in petty little squabbles.   I just wish he'd STOP THIS NONSENSE and focus on policy and the American people!  If he's really a deal-maker, there's plenty of places he could leverage his deal-making skills (e.g., Healthcare, North Korea, taxes, etc.)!"
@Cripplecreek
@Concerned
@rodamala

Many people thought the "weight of the office" would change his behavior.  He is 70 and has been this way all his life.  He "must" insult everyone and has insulted foreign leaders and will keep doing it, then says they are "unfair" when they don't want to fall in line with what he wants.  He will only abide someone he considers to be "meaner" "nastier" "wield more power than he has", and Putin is that person.  He admires this man who kills people when they don't support him in a public way.  Trump wants the kind of power Putin has.  Putin is his model and he has said that in terms of praising Putin.  He is Putin in his head and he would do away with every law in this country in order to "rule" like Putin.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 03:26:18 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Cripplecreek

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »
"I had hoped that the weight of the office would cause him to act Presidential.  Unfortunately, he’s continuing to engage in petty little squabbles.   I just wish he'd STOP THIS NONSENSE and focus on policy and the American people!  If he's really a deal-maker, there's plenty of places he could leverage his deal-making skills (e.g., Healthcare, North Korea, taxes, etc.)!"
@Cripplecreek
@Concerned

Many people thought the "weight of the office" would change his behavior.  He is 70 and has been this way all his life.  He "must" insult everyone and has insulted foreign leaders and will keep doing it, then says they are "unfair" when they don't want to fall in line with what he wants.  He will only abide someone he considers to be "meaner" "nastier" "wield more power than he has", and Putin is that person.  He admires this man who kills people when they don't support him in a public way.  Trump wants the kind of power Putin has.  Putin is his model and he has said that in terms of praising Putin.  He is Putin in his head and he would do away with every law in this country in order to "rule" like Putin.

I knew he would be incapable of change and I knew that those who said that they would hold his feet to the fire would not.