Author Topic: Coconut oil in diet is rich in saturated fats and bad for heart says AHA advisory report  (Read 665 times)

rangerrebew

Coconut oil in diet is rich in saturated fats and bad for heart says AHA advisory report

By Dr Ananya Mandal, MDJune 19, 2017

According to a new report from the American Heart Association, the use of coconut oil in the diet may not be such a good idea as previously thought.

The report comes from the Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease advisory that has looked into several existing research and data on saturated fats and has shown that coconut oil can significantly raise the “bad” cholesterol or LDL in the body. These results are seen in all the seven clinical trials that attempted to look into the effects of coconut oil diet. There is no significant difference between coconut oil and other oils that are notorious for high saturated fats such as butter, beef fat and palm oil. The report says that 82% of the fat present in coconut oil is saturated whereas butter has only 63% saturated fat, beef fat has 50% and pork lard 39%.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20170619/Coconut-oil-in-diet-is-rich-in-saturated-fats-and-bad-for-heart-says-AHA-advisory-report.aspx
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:32:54 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Applewood

Coconut oil became all the rage several years ago, and I had more than my share of well-meaning, but misguided friends and relatives try to badger me into consuming it for several of my health issues. The oil was supposed to be a magic cure-all for everything from heart disease to diabetes to athlete's foot.  The oil was also touted as an aid to weight loss.   

The story I heard about coconut oil and saturated fat is that the saturates were somehow beneficial to the heart, or at the very least, did not affect cholesterol.  Since I an a heart patient, I decided to ask my cardiologist about  consuming coconut oil.  He had 2 words for me:  ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I know of one benefit to coconut oil -- relief of dry skin.  But then again I suppose most other oils would have the same skin benefits.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I'll have to see what Doctor Oz says about this, he use to say he would start off the day with toast with coconut oil. That it has something in it thought to be very good and I agreed, I thought it gave energy.

So, I am a bit wary of all info.

Coconut oil was panned years ago, per the kerfuffle about making popcorn with it, especially in movie theaters.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The same AHA that said years ago that margarine was good for you?

This is old thinking. Just because it has saturated fat doesn't mean it's bad for you. Hate these old kneejerk health canards that have been overturned by new research.
The Republic is lost.

Offline andy58-in-nh

When it comes to making popcorn, there is absolutely no substitute for coconut oil.  :pop41:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 01:17:39 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Applewood

I'll have to see what Doctor Oz says about this, he use to say he would start off the day with toast with coconut oil. That it has something in it thought to be very good and I agreed, I thought it gave energy.

So, I am a bit wary of all info.

Coconut oil was panned years ago, per the kerfuffle about making popcorn with it, especially in movie theaters.

Dr. Oz is a quack.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused

Offline Applewood

He's a rich quack.

Good for him, but he's still a fraud.

Silver Pines

Coconut oil became all the rage several years ago, and I had more than my share of well-meaning, but misguided friends and relatives try to badger me into consuming it for several of my health issues. The oil was supposed to be a magic cure-all for everything from heart disease to diabetes to athlete's foot.  The oil was also touted as an aid to weight loss.   

The story I heard about coconut oil and saturated fat is that the saturates were somehow beneficial to the heart, or at the very least, did not affect cholesterol.  Since I an a heart patient, I decided to ask my cardiologist about  consuming coconut oil.  He had 2 words for me:  ABSOLUTELY NOT!

I know of one benefit to coconut oil -- relief of dry skin.  But then again I suppose most other oils would have the same skin benefits.

@Applewood

You're right.  I fell for it briefly, and would eat a spoonful of the stuff now and then because it was supposed to be so good for you.  I kept hearing that the hydrogenated kind was bad, but as long as you stuck with extra-virgin organic, you were good.

Now it seems that's not the case. 

I do still use it on my hair now and then.  It's a great moisturizer if your hair isn't protein-sensitive.  Mine is, so I use olive oil most of the time.

Silver Pines