Author Topic: Navy SEAL Requirements  (Read 789 times)

rangerrebew

Navy SEAL Requirements
« on: June 26, 2017, 08:28:41 am »
 Navy SEAL Requirements
US Navy SEALs
Military.com

Although there is no easy way to become a SEAL, there are several ways to become a SEAL candidate. As a civilian you can request to join the SEALs prior to enlisting through the SEAL Challenge Contract (Seaman to SEAL program). The SEAL Challenge Contract guarantees you the opportunity to become a SEAL candidate and entitles you to certain bonuses and benefits when you enlist.

If you don't get a SEAL Challenge Contract prior to enlisting, you can still volunteer to take the Physical Screening Test (PST) during the first week boot camp. If you successfully pass the PST a Naval Special Operation Motivator will interview you. The motivator will then submit a request for you to enter the Naval Special Warfare (BUD/S) training pipeline.

http://www.military.com/special-operations/requirements-for-navy-seals.html
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:29:25 am by rangerrebew »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Navy SEAL Requirements
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 01:49:21 pm »
This may be new for the Navy,but I doubt it.

I don't know when the US Army started sending Special Forces recruiters to basic training centers to interview potential SF volunteers,but I know for a fact they were already doing it in March of 1964,and this was long before the song or the John Wayne movie.

AFAIK,every recruit with a GT score above 110 or 120 (can't remember which now) was marched to a small building and given the pitch by senior SF NCO's,and told that if this interested them they should volunteer for SF training after jump school. Back then you had to complete jump school before you would be accepted.

When I graduated from Jump School in Aug of 64,everyone in my graduating class of 187 went to either the 173rd Abn or the 1st Calvary division,both of which were going to VN,except for me and 2 other guys. We had orders to go to the Special Warfare Center at Bragg.

BTW,the poor guys that got sent to the 1st Cav really got screwed because after going through all the grief of jump school,they were sent to a non-airborne division and didn't even get the extra money from jump pay. Back then basic pay for a E-1 was something like $67 a month,and being jump qualified in a airborne until meant another $55 a month.  You damn near doubled your pay.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 02:07:52 pm »
This may be new for the Navy,but I doubt it.

I don't know when the US Army started sending Special Forces recruiters to basic training centers to interview potential SF volunteers,but I know for a fact they were already doing it in March of 1964,and this was long before the song or the John Wayne movie.

AFAIK,every recruit with a GT score above 110 or 120 (can't remember which now) was marched to a small building and given the pitch by senior SF NCO's,and told that if this interested them they should volunteer for SF training after jump school. Back then you had to complete jump school before you would be accepted.

When I graduated from Jump School in Aug of 64,everyone in my graduating class of 187 went to either the 173rd Abn or the 1st Calvary division,both of which were going to VN,except for me and 2 other guys. We had orders to go to the Special Warfare Center at Bragg.

BTW,the poor guys that got sent to the 1st Cav really got screwed because after going through all the grief of jump school,they were sent to a non-airborne division and didn't even get the extra money from jump pay. Back then basic pay for a E-1 was something like $67 a month,and being jump qualified in a airborne until meant another $55 a month.  You damn near doubled your pay.

The air force did the same thing in 1986.   For Forward Air Controllers and Pararescue as I recall.  The swimming requirements are what kept me from trying.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 05:19:21 pm »
The air force did the same thing in 1986.   For Forward Air Controllers and Pararescue as I recall.  The swimming requirements are what kept me from trying.

@driftdiver

Ya gotta admit,being able to swim is a pretty important basic requirement for air crew rescue people. The USAF flies over a hell of a lot more water than land.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 05:30:32 pm »
@driftdiver

Ya gotta admit,being able to swim is a pretty important basic requirement for air crew rescue people. The USAF flies over a hell of a lot more water than land.

Yeah, I think the requirement was swim 800 meters and at the time I couldn't swim 10 feet.   I kinda regret not at least trying.   Although I saw the pararescue guys doing pool time.  They'd be doing flutter kicks for hours in the pool in winter.   Carried telephone poles everywhere too. 

Meanwhile I was dancing with girls at the on base club.  hmmmmmm maybe Im overdoing the regret part.

I can swim now, forced myself to learn for scuba.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.