Author Topic: Hypoxia Threatens Navy and Air Force Pilots, and the Threat Is Growing  (Read 338 times)

rangerrebew

Hypoxia Threatens Navy and Air Force Pilots, and the Threat Is Growing

By Eric Tegler
Jun 25, 2017

Navy and Air Force pilots are running short on oxygen.

In the last five years, the number of "physiological events" (PEs) where Navy pilots flying the T-45 Goshawk advanced trainer jet experienced oxygen deprivation (aka hypoxia) have risen four-fold. Caused mainly by failures of the airplane's onboard oxygen system, hypoxia can make a pilot dizzy, confused, and potentially incapable of flying an aircraft.

Ten T-45 hypoxia events were reported in March 2017 and 21 over the first three months of the year. A total of 38 PEs were reported in 2016, 27 in 2015 and 12 in 2014 according to USNI News. The situation has become so critical that the T-45 fleet was partially grounded in late March, halting critical production of new pilots for the Navy and Marine Corps.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/news/a27066/air-force-navy-hypoxia/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:21:02 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It apperas tests are being run on the equipment. If the failures occur in a specific range of pressures and temperatures, I hope the tests are being conducted in the same range of temperatures and pressures. The failures might be linked to environmental conditions, or the result of a contaminant that would persist at altitude but disperse at sea level.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis