Author Topic: Trump to China: Thanks for trying with North Korea  (Read 856 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Trump to China: Thanks for trying with North Korea
« on: June 20, 2017, 11:01:17 pm »
Washington (CNN)For months, President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and top aides have staked any progress dealing with North Korea's burgeoning nuclear program on China's involvement.
On Tuesday, Trump upended much of that works in 140 characters, tweeting that Chinese efforts have "not worked out."

"While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried," Trump wrote.

The tweet, which came hours before the United States and China were set to meet in Washington to talk about North Korea, caught multiple Trump administration officials off guard, leaving them scrambling as they tried to figure out what exactly what the President meant.

One Trump administration official said bluntly they didn't know what Trump was referencing when asked what the tweet meant.

Another cautioned against reading too much into the message, arguing that there was no meeting earlier in the day that could have spurred the comment or that that tweet foretold some sort of unilateral action against North Korea.

Hanging over the tweet -- and Wednesday's meeting -- is the death of Otto Warmbier, an American college student who died earlier this week after spending 17 months in detention in North Korea. His family believes he was tortured into a vegetative state. Trump condemned the "brutal regime" and lamented the loss of a young man "in the prime of life."

Trump had made clear in the past that his preference was to work with China on North Korea, but that he was willing to go after them alone.

More: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/20/politics/trump-china-north-korea/index.html

The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Trump to China: Thanks for trying with North Korea
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 11:12:23 pm »
I'm sure south Korea and Japan are watching this close.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:14:21 pm »
I'm sure south Korea and Japan are watching this close.

Rather hoping you are too! You have a far better idea of the psyches involved.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:20:09 pm »
          You Mere Mortals, just don't understand, Read his Book!

China won't do anything, they've already got what they wanted, they are OFF the Currency Manipulator List.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 11:24:40 pm »
Rather hoping you are too! You have a far better idea of the psyches involved.

It's a tough one.  Popular consensus seems to be he would rather kill everyone if he can't be king.  The key is probably those around him.  Getting one of them to do it.   Not easy with his cleaning house.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 04:27:54 am »
China won't do anything, they've already got what they wanted, they are OFF the Currency Manipulator List.

My guess is they'll be back on it before Labor Day.  Weather Vane Donny.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 06:04:13 am »
Just weird...........This is how Trump runs foreign policy.  By twitter ramblings of failure.

Well I have to really give it to Trump.  There is at least one thing he has done well. LGBT pride month.  He is very good at the homosexual celebration.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 06:05:50 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.