Author Topic: Supreme Court strikes down state law barring sex offenders from Facebook  (Read 713 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
The Supreme Court struck down a North Carolina law Monday that bans registered sex offenders from accessing Facebook and other social media.

The court ruled 8-0 that the law impermissibly restricts lawful speech in violation of the First Amendment.

In delivering the opinion of the court, Justice Anthony Kennedy said a fundamental principle of the First Amendment is that all persons have access to places where they can speak and listen, and then, after reflection, respond.

“While in the past there may have been difficulty in identifying the most important places (in a spatial sense) for the exchange of views, today the answer is clear,” he said. “It is cyberspace — the ‘vast democratic forums of the Internet’ in general and social media in particular.”

More: http://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/338440-supreme-court-strikes-down-state-law-barring-sex-offenders-from
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
In delivering the opinion of the court, Justice Anthony Kennedy said a fundamental principle of the First Amendment is that all persons have access to places where they can speak and listen, and then, after reflection, respond.

Weird because I thought commission of certain crimes took away your rights - for instance 2nd Amendment rights for felons.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Weird because I thought commission of certain crimes took away your rights - for instance 2nd Amendment rights for felons.

It was an 8-0 decision.  Taking away rights to speak on public forums might be the dangerous thin edge of the wedge.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
There's also the issue of jurisdiction: Facebook is based in California, meaning it is not subject to the laws of North Carolina. The law is flimsy in its enforceability anyway.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Perfect point... "shall not be infringed" seems awful clear yet it is the most battered of amendments.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

You think an enterprising lawyer could do something with this ruling to fix that, or at least limit it to violent felonies.
The Republic is lost.

Offline edpc

It was an 8-0 decision.  Taking away rights to speak on public forums might be the dangerous thin edge of the wedge.

I don't necessarily disagree.  Seems like they could be consistent on rights and when they can or cannot be taken away.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I don't necessarily disagree.  Seems like they could be consistent on rights and when they can or cannot be taken away.

If the amount of support they get was equal to the size of the letters, the font used on the 1st amendment should be about a 56pt font.

The 2nd amendment would be a 4pt font.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I wonder if registered sex offenders can be monitored and tracked on these social sites.    :pondering:

Offline rodamala

Offline edpc

If the amount of support they get was equal to the size of the letters, the font used on the 1st amendment should be about a 56pt font.

The 2nd amendment would be a 4pt font.

That's too bad, because most don't realize the 2nd is the only thing guaranteeing the others.