Author Topic: Gingrich: A president 'cannot obstruct justice'  (Read 675 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gingrich: A president 'cannot obstruct justice'
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:22:49 pm »
Gingrich: A president 'cannot obstruct justice'
By Sumner Park - 06/16/17 01:15 PM EDT

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.), a staunch supporter of President Trump, said Friday that a "president cannot obstruct justice."

Gingrich said that as president, Trump was well within his authority to fire the head of the FBI.

“The president of the United States is the chief executive officer of the United States. If he wants to fire the FBI director, all he has to do is fire him,” said Gingrich in comments at the National Press Club, where he was promoting a new book.

more
http://thehill.com/policy/national-security/338147-gingrich-a-president-cannot-obstruct-justice
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Gingrich: A president 'cannot obstruct justice'
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:53:12 pm »
Tell that to Nixon. And his aides.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:54:27 pm »
Also tell that to 1998 Newt Gingrich, who led the impeachment of Clinton for—wait for it—obstruction of justice.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:58:34 pm »

There's a difference between grounds for obstruction of justice and grounds for impeachment.   Gingrich is correct - the President can fire the head of the FBI.   He is, after all, the head of the executive branch of government.   However,  the political fallout from such an act can be grounds for impeachment.

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 05:58:41 pm »
Proof positive that "Republicans" have lost any and all credibility when it comes to upholding the rule of law, the Constitution or common sense.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 06:01:59 pm »
Also tell that to 1998 Newt Gingrich, who led the impeachment of Clinton for—wait for it—obstruction of justice.

Not that I recall all that clearly the Clinton days (I thought WJC was impeached for perjury, but perhaps I'm wrong),  but a President can certainly obstruct justice.  But firing the head of the FBI is, without more (e.g., perjury) within his authority.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 06:47:15 pm »
There's a difference between grounds for obstruction of justice and grounds for impeachment.   Gingrich is correct - the President can fire the head of the FBI.   He is, after all, the head of the executive branch of government.   However,  the political fallout from such an act can be grounds for impeachment.

??? Not quite following.  If the President can fire the head of the FBI, what political fallout should there be (such as in Comey); what high crimes and misdemeanors has he committed?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 06:50:42 pm »
While Newt has certainly beclowned himself in recent days, I'm beginning to think this article is slander on him, as I cannot find his exact words of "the president cannot obstruct justice".

There are two different ideas here: The president has the right to fire whoever he wants (I agree with this), and the president cannot obstruct justice (I disagree with this). I cannot find Newt's comment about the latter in context. And context is everything in this case.