Author Topic: Trump Signs Apprenticeship Order: "We're Here To Celebrate The Dignity Of Work"  (Read 598 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump Signs Apprenticeship and Workforce of Tomorrow Order"
White House.gov, May 15, 2017

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgS82XOwxAo

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Presidential Executive Order Expanding Apprenticeships in America

EXECUTIVE ORDER

- - - - - - -

EXPANDING APPRENTICESHIPS IN AMERICA

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, and to promote affordable education and rewarding jobs for American workers, it is hereby ordered as follows:

Section 1.  Purpose.  America's education systems and workforce development programs are in need of reform.  In today's rapidly changing economy, it is more important than ever to prepare workers to fill both existing and newly created jobs and to prepare workers for the jobs of the future.  Higher education, however, is becoming increasingly unaffordable.  Furthermore, many colleges and universities fail to help students graduate with the skills necessary to secure high paying jobs in today's workforce.  Far too many individuals today find themselves with crushing student debt and no direct connection to jobs.

Against this background, federally funded education and workforce development programs are not effectively serving American workers.  Despite the billions of taxpayer dollars invested in these programs each year, many Americans are struggling to find full-time work.  These Federal programs must do a better job matching unemployed American workers with open jobs, including the 350,000 manufacturing jobs currently available.

More: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/06/15/presidential-executive-order-expanding-apprenticeships-america

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Love the concept/idea.

A good stonemason can afford all kinds of toys and live in a nice zip code.

It's the vehicle to a rewarding life.

Not only for the apprentice, but his future wife/family.     

Yeah, I know.   DUH??    :laugh:

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Just skimmed the EO. I hope it will not end up being a bureaucratic boondoggle, and instead start limiting funds to colleges strictly for majors that result in real private sector jobs only, for starters.
The Republic is lost.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Just skimmed the EO. I hope it will not end up being a bureaucratic boondoggle, and instead start limiting funds to colleges strictly for majors that result in real private sector jobs only, for starters.

Was thinking of that, too.

Putting it into practice and making it work...I keep thinking of the USPS.    :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
My closest adult friend in life, was my younger brother, who was struck down by leukemia at age 37.

He was a carpenter, starting at age 17 and going through the extant apprenticeship program. He was proud of his skill, and he loved his work. He supported his family well.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Excellent idea.  Let's start training people to be productive and self-sustaining.  I would like to see it mandated that in order to receive extended unemployment benefits you would have to go through some kind of apprenticeship/work training program and employers would get a tax break for training and hiring.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
There are many tradesmen today making the kind of money only doctors and lawyers were able to pull down not too long ago.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien