Author Topic: Special counsel is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice, officials say....[here we go!]  (Read 3219 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 By Devlin Barrett, Adam Entous, Ellen Nakashima and Sari Horwitz June 14 at 6:21 PM

The special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russia’s role in the 2016 election is interviewing senior intelligence officials as part of a widening probe that now includes an examination of whether President Trump attempted to obstruct justice, officials said.

The move by Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III to investigate Trump’s own conduct marks a major turning point in the nearly year-old FBI investigation, which until recently focused on Russian meddling during the presidential campaign and on whether there was any coordination between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin. Investigators have also been looking for any evidence of possible financial crimes among Trump associates, officials said.

more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/special-counsel-is-investigating-trump-for-possible-obstruction-of-justice/2017/06/14/9ce02506-5131-11e7-b064-828ba60fbb98_story.html?utm_term=.9fe803a026e7
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
This is from Wapo. Another leak?  This "bombshell" came at the end of the day like so many other leaks have. I see the source is  "officials." Anonymous again? Comey is that you?
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Meldrew

Conveniently wipes the "Bernie Bro Assassin" story off the front pages.  Blitzer et. al. must be relieved.

Offline austingirl

If the Special Counsel is leaking, they should be disbanded.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
...officials said.

...officials said.

WaPo

..gobble, gobble. Finish your newsmeal.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline montanajoe

Actually I suspect many in the GOP secretly welcome this. The gop needs something to keep its voters riled up as that's how they have made gains over the years. The gop wants to divert the voters from remembering the campaign promises they run on and expectations of following through, because at the core their constituency vote on emotion just like the Dims....

The politicians on both sides have figured this out...this is why the blame game works so well, the voters buy it and instead of actually producing results politicians can be reelected over and over by producing and flaming outrage and moral indignation... :shrug:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Brit Hume said tonight that this investigation started when Comey was fired in May...they chose tonight to leak it..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DB

If the Special Counsel is leaking, they should be disbanded.

If the Special Counsel is leaking he should be charged and prosecuted.

Offline austingirl

Brit Hume said tonight that this investigation started when Comey was fired in May...they chose tonight to leak it..

How does Hume know this? There was no special counsel when Comey was fired so how could the special counsel have been investigating before they were formed? What a birthday to remember for Trump. The Deep State is truly entrenched and fighting back.

Offline austingirl

If the Special Counsel is leaking he should be charged and prosecuted.

Yes, indeed.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How does Hume know this? There was no special counsel when Comey was fired so how could the special counsel have been investigating before they were formed? What a birthday to remember for Trump. The Deep State is truly entrenched and fighting back.

No idea he did not elaborate..
Support the USO

Oceander

If Trump really didn't try to obstruct justice, then what's the harm in having an investigation confirm that?

Offline DB

If Trump really didn't try to obstruct justice, then what's the harm in having an investigation confirm that?

Because we all know it is really a witch hunt. It has zip to do with the original charge, that Russian thing. It will now be about catching someone saying something inconsistent and making them pay dearly. There's a long history of this.

Oceander

Because we all know it is really a witch hunt. It has zip to do with the original charge, that Russian thing. It will now be about catching someone saying something inconsistent and making them pay dearly. There's a long history of this.

That doesn't answer the question and is flatly inconsistent with the known reputation of the independent counsel. 

Offline austingirl

The known reputation of the special counsel is that he is bosom buddies with Comey, a witness, and that he has loaded his team with dimocrap donors. Not so "independent."

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I would agree but not by Comey's mentor...Even Hume said they will probably appoint someone else but I don't see that happening..Mueller has stacked his investigating team with Dems...I don't see a fair investigation.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 02:20:43 am by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline DB

That doesn't answer the question and is flatly inconsistent with the known reputation of the independent counsel.

The President has the constitutional authority to fire/replace all the people in the executive branch. Comey should have been fired on day 1. It can't be obstruction of justice when the President exercises his/her constitutional authority. The "Special Counsel" was charged with investigating the Russian thing, not the firing of Comey.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
I'm not a Trump fan by any means measurable, but that said - IF this "leak" is legit, then I will forever believe that the charge is politically motivated bovine excrement.

Not until Loretta Lynch, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Lois Lerner and Joe Koskinen are investigated for Obstruction of Justice will any investigation of Trump have ANY legitimacy with me.

And of course HOW CONVEEEEENIENT for this news to 'leak' on a day where a Leftist Activist attempted to assassinate Republican Congressmen on a ballfield.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline austingirl

I'm not a Trump fan by any means measurable, but that said - IF this "leak" is legit, then I will forever believe that the charge is politically motivated bovine excrement.

Not until Loretta Lynch, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Lois Lerner and Joe Koskinen are investigated for Obstruction of Justice will any investigation of Trump have ANY legitimacy with me.

And of course HOW CONVEEEEENIENT for this news to 'leak' on a day where a Leftist Activist attempted to assassinate Republican Congressmen on a ballfield.

The leak is a pretty lousy birthday present, too.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

If you really didn't shoot your wife, what's the harm in having a grand jury look into it?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline ConservativeGranny

The President has the constitutional authority to fire/replace all the people in the executive branch. Comey should have been fired on day 1. It can't be obstruction of justice when the President exercises his/her constitutional authority. The "Special Counsel" was charged with investigating the Russian thing, not the firing of Comey.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is a smart thing to do. Trump admitted that he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation. Trump has only himself to blame for this. And he doesn't have the Constitutional authority to try and persuade the director of the FBI to drop an investigation or pledge any type of loyalty to him.

Then to pile on he issued a veiled threat to Comey about tapes of their conversations. The President walked into this pile of doggy doo on his own. There are consequences for not controlling what comes out of your mouth and he is now experiencing one of those consequences.

Offline DB

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is a smart thing to do. Trump admitted that he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation. Trump has only himself to blame for this. And he doesn't have the Constitutional authority to try and persuade the director of the FBI to drop an investigation or pledge any type of loyalty to him.

Then to pile on he issued a veiled threat to Comey about tapes of their conversations. The President walked into this pile of doggy doo on his own. There are consequences for not controlling what comes out of your mouth and he is now experiencing one of those consequences.

I didn't say anything about it being wise. But, he does have that authority under the constitution period. If the boss thinks you are wasting time and resources on BS, he fires you. The issue is obstruction of justice verses a President exercising his constitutional authority. The constitution wins. If the FBI director thinks the President is abusing him, he can quit and tell the media why.

Offline libertybele

Conveniently wipes the "Bernie Bro Assassin" story off the front pages.  Blitzer et. al. must be relieved.

Perhaps, but I believe right now the focus is on Scalise who is in critical condition.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

We need to add Eric Holder and Huma Abedin to that list.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

If you really didn't shoot your wife, what's the harm in having a grand jury look into it?

If there was evidence that I had either threatened to shoot her, or that I was seen waving a gun around beforehand, I quite agree. 

This is the basic problem with Trump's very stupid behavior:  his statements to Comey were exactly the same thing and provided the predicate that justifies an investigation.

If Trump would STFU, learn to behave like an adult, and start doing the job he was elected to do instead of continuing these petty hatefests on social media, then these things wouldn't be viable options.  As it is, he himself has made them inevitable.