Author Topic: EXCLUSIVE: Ted Cruz Suggests U.S. Military Response to Mexican Cartels  (Read 5019 times)

Offline Night Hides Not

Did you miss the part about our military being in a poor state combat readiness?  Would this be the best time to start a shooting war with Mexico's cartels---even if blessed by Sen. Cruz?

@Chosen Daughter

Cartels would not stand a chance against an infantry battalion with ample air support. Problem is, we'd have to get the Mexican government's ok to deploy them on Mexican soil.  Fat chance.

ETA: Or is your objection framed in part by the suggestion coming from "Lyin' Ted?"

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 02:45:09 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline skeeter

Cartels would not stand a chance against an infantry battalion with ample air support. Problem is, we'd have to get the Mexican government's ok to deploy them on Mexican soil.  Fat chance.

ETA: Or is your objection framed in part by the suggestion coming from "Lyin' Ted?"

I'm waiting for the faithful to stop looking at Cruz as some kind of threat.

One day, maybe.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Read the darn article @Sanguine ... it is why I included the link as part of my answer.   *****rollingeyes*****

You're right, @Right_in_Virginia, since the military is reported to not be in a state of readiness, Cruz shouldn't have suggested a military response.....or, something.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Just_Victor

Exactly.  Military operation in a sovereign country is never simple, unless you are at war with that country.  And I'd bet the cartels have bought enough influence in Mexico's government that any operation would never be approved.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 03:02:28 pm by Just_Victor »
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Cruz is hardly a thread @skeeter .... nor is he a saint.    He is but a politician.   :shrug:

Offline skeeter

Cruz is hardly a thread @skeeter .... nor is he a saint.    He is but a politician.   :shrug:
A politician who's on Trump's side.

Which is why I don't understand the impulse by Trump's more ardent supporters to snark whenever his name comes up.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
The Military is extremely limited in what they can do on the border thanks to treaties signed with Mexico over the Mexican/American war and other conflicts. This has been gone through before. The Army can do very little; that's why we have the border patrol.

It would take some study, we know General Blackjack Pershing went into Mexico after Pancho Villa in around 1914.

We might have to get some kind of cooperative deal with the Mexican government.

Offline Night Hides Not

You're right, @Right_in_Virginia, since the military is reported to not be in a state of readiness, Cruz shouldn't have suggested a military response.....or, something.  *****rollingeyes*****

The Pentagon is known for "cooking the books" on readiness, to get more funding. I was a Battalion Supply Officer my last year and a half in Germany, I was in the same battalion for 4 1/2 years. I was a platoon leader and maintenance officer at one of the batteries for two years, before getting booted to HQ.

Within a month of taking over as maintenance officer, my motor sergeant and I took an honest look at every vehicle in the battery, resulting in a four page deadline report. To say the fecal matter hit the fan was an understatement.

I coined an acronym for equipment that had more than 4 material deficiencies: MFB, or M----r F-----r's Broke. Battalion didn't see the humor in my acronym.

For a battery to be considered "combat ready", 75% of our weapons systems had to be operational. To reach that level, in the weekend before our tac eval, it was necessary to swap systems, i.e. remove a good system from a bad track, and swap it with a bad system on a good track. That operation normally took several hours to complete, and our maintenance bays were not large enough to do it indoors. My guys had to do it outside in 40 degree weather, with a gentle 20 mph breeze and intermittent rain.

Here's a picture of the system I'm talking about:

A combat arms unit can be classified as "non-combat ready" for a variety of reasons, to include shortage of personnel, or insufficient training metrics.

My last battalion commander inherited a C-3 (marginally combat ready) battalion. In 18 months, he drove us to a C-1, partly because he approved discharges for over 60 marginal performing soldiers. There wasn't an area that was overlooked: supply/logistics, training, etc.

IMO, a lack of leadership is more of a factor today than sequestration, or a lack of funding.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

One day, maybe.

Cruz was not my 1st choice to be the Republican nominees, and I like him. Since he is a border state Senator, I place more priority on his comments about the border and about Mexico.

Perhaps he can get another dinner with the Potus, and elevate border issues again.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline DiogenesLamp

EXCLUSIVE: Ted Cruz Suggests U.S. Military Response to Mexican Cartels

I have been saying for about a decade that we need to make the "War on Drugs"   into a real war on drugs.   

What we have been doing is a holding action.   No attempt to win has been put forth,  mainly because the American people do not have the stomach to do what needs to be done to win a war on drugs. 

Most of them are okay with simply holding down the addiction rate to current levels. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Cruz was not my 1st choice to be the Republican nominees, and I like him. Since he is a border state Senator, I place more priority on his comments about the border and about Mexico.

Perhaps he can get another dinner with the Potus, and elevate border issues again.

I certainly hope someone or something can get this onto Trump's radar again.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
That must be the obvious reason that there is still nothing being done.  No they won't welcome it.  Why do you think people voted for Trump?  They wanted the borders secured. 

No money for fence.  No Mexico paying for fence.  No Art of the Deal with Congress to secure our country.  Trump not even stopping catch and release.  He continues Obama's illegal immigration legacy. 

This is an entirely different topic.  I know you want to rehash Trump's egregious failures but this is a valid idea put forth by Ted Cruz to help both us and Mexico deal with the crushing hold that drug cartels hold over Mexico.

Mexico cannot combat them ... they do not have a good enough police force and half of that force is probably on the take from cartels.  If the Mexican government is serious about combating them, they might well welcome American troops.  It would help both countries.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline skeeter

Given the body count on our side of the border as an immediate result of mexican nationals illegally entering we have just as much justification for intervening militarily as we did in 1916.

The only problem being the incentives being given them to migrate by the immoral self interested POS on our side.

Straighten out that problem then saddle up...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Did you miss the part about our military being in a poor state combat readiness?  Would this be the best time to start a shooting war with Mexico's cartels---even if blessed by Sen. Cruz?

@Chosen Daughter
Are you actually suggesting that the cartels will beat our military?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The Military is extremely limited in what they can do on the border thanks to treaties signed with Mexico over the Mexican/American war and other conflicts. This has been gone through before. The Army can do very little; that's why we have the border patrol.

It would take some study, we know General Blackjack Pershing went into Mexico after Pancho Villa in around 1914.

We might have to get some kind of cooperative deal with the Mexican government.

That was part of Ted Cruz's proposal.  It would be a miracle if Mexico agreed right now but it would be to their advantage to do so.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
There have been many stories reported in Texas about Mexican Army soldiers engaging with Border Patrol and local LEO's along the border...on our side of the river...because the cartels have bought off the units to provide them cover to get their product safely to the U.S.

Now last time I checked...a foreign military unit crossing an internationally recognized border and attacking U.S. citizens could be considered an act of war.

IMHO it's about time we provided some real muscle to back up the Border Patrol and civilian law enforcement along the border.

This is a great idea by Senator Cruz.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
That was part of Ted Cruz's proposal.  It would be a miracle if Mexico agreed right now but it would be to their advantage to do so.

Activate the National Guard.  There's a whole Mechanized Infantry Division in just Texas alone.  Put them on patrol along the border in their Bradley's and Tanks.  Let their Intel units fly predator drones for surveillance.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline DiogenesLamp

There have been many stories reported in Texas about Mexican Army soldiers engaging with Border Patrol and local LEO's along the border...on our side of the river...because the cartels have bought off the units to provide them cover to get their product safely to the U.S.

Is this one of those "tin foil hat"  "conspiracy theories"  of which you speak?  (on another thread)

Aren't you supposed to be against "tin foil hat conspiracy theories?"

Oh,  and let me know how the shoe feels on your foot. 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

Activate the National Guard.  There's a whole Mechanized Infantry Division in just Texas alone.  Put them on patrol along the border in their Bradley's and Tanks.  Let their Intel units fly predator drones for surveillance.

But I agree with you here.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
While I don't necessarily disagree with this, the cartel trade is based on supply and demand. Problem is we gotta helluva bunch of demand. So we wipe out the cartels, but new ones will take their place. We got to make sure once they are gone to keep any new supply highly pinched to drive up the price and get people off their kick.

Bush the First did interdiction 25 years ago with great success. Today, I'm wondering if we're too far gone.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:34:09 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Is this one of those "tin foil hat"  "conspiracy theories"  of which you speak?  (on another thread)

Aren't you supposed to be against "tin foil hat conspiracy theories?"

Oh,  and let me know how the shoe feels on your foot. 

When it comes to this stuff...especially having lived in far West Texas almost my entire life...I'm not the one to try to troll on something like this.

Here let me show you why:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2014/06/27/mexican-military-helicopter-fires-on-border-patrol-agents-after-crossing-into-u-s-during-drug-operation/

https://cofda.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/mexican-army-troops-cross-border-into-u-s-300-times-since-1996/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/17/feds-armed-mexican-troops-police-jump-border/

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/mexico-invades-texas-33-soldiers-cross-border-humvees/story?id=14173304

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Now last time I checked...a foreign military unit crossing an internationally recognized border and attacking U.S. citizens could be considered an act of war.

IMHO it's about time we provided some real muscle to back up the Border Patrol and civilian law enforcement along the border.

This is a great idea by Senator Cruz.

Just to expand on TRG's comments, this very thing has happened during the last 8 years.

Modified to add: OK, TRG has already taken care of this. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 07:39:39 pm by Sanguine »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

But I agree with you here.

The 36th ID (M) is combat tested in Iraq.  Patrolling the border would be about the same as patrolling Ramadi.

Or better yet...there's two entire Special Forces Groups that are 100% Army National Guard.

Let the snake eaters go play along the border.

Offline DiogenesLamp

When it comes to this stuff...especially having lived in far West Texas almost my entire life...I'm not the one to try to troll on something like this.

Here let me show you why:

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2014/06/27/mexican-military-helicopter-fires-on-border-patrol-agents-after-crossing-into-u-s-during-drug-operation/

https://cofda.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/mexican-army-troops-cross-border-into-u-s-300-times-since-1996/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jun/17/feds-armed-mexican-troops-police-jump-border/

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/mexico-invades-texas-33-soldiers-cross-border-humvees/story?id=14173304

You do not need to show me.  I've seen enough evidence myself to plausibly believe that collusion between the Drug Cartels and the Mexican military is occurring.   

My point is that one man's "conspiracy"  is another man's "real deal",   and we should not be so quick to judge without hearing someone out and considering their evidence. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

One riot, one Ranger.