Author Topic: I asked Navy SEALs what to do when things get chaotic at work, and they said the same advice works on the battlefield and in business  (Read 517 times)

rangerrebew

I asked Navy SEALs what to do when things get chaotic at work, and they said the same advice works on the battlefield and in business

Richard Feloni

May 27, 2017, 12:30 PM 64,222

I recently had the chance to get up before dawn and spend a day learning about leadership from two former US Navy SEAL commanders, Jocko Willink and Leif Babin.

Willink led SEAL Team 3 Task Unit Bruiser, the most highly decorated special operations unit of the Iraq War, and Babin was his second in line, the more senior of two platoon commanders. They formed a leadership consulting firm called Echelon Front in 2010, their 2015 book "Extreme Ownership" became a New York Times bestseller, and Willink's podcast is one of the most popular in the country.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-handle-company-scandal-or-failure-2017-5
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:44:55 am by rangerrebew »

Offline Suppressed

Willink said that regardless of what was happening within the SEAL teams or over in Washington, he kept any of the in-fighting from reaching his men.

"My guys are going to hear the message the right way," he said.

Keep your team ignorant!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Reminds me of the "Problem Analysis and Decision Making" course I took in College. It was a Tues/Thurs course. Tuesday was lecture and Thursday was lab. The lab was "Pistol Marksmanship".

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Keep your team ignorant!
Yes, you're keeping your people "ignorant" but in a positive way.

It's called being a "BULL$hit deflector" in order to keep your people FOCUSED on the job at hand vs. being distracted by the politics or idiocy that happens upstream.

It's not hard to see how the idiocy that happens up the chain of command causes people to lose focus and become distracted by said idiocy that may or may not even be relevant or factual.  A lot of times, "information" is flowed down that causes people to react in order to appease the upper ranks but in reality is a huge waste of time and resources because often times, it wasn't "actionable" information to begin with.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.