Author Topic: ‘Merkel Has Behaved Irresponsibly’  (Read 1029 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

‘Merkel Has Behaved Irresponsibly’
« on: May 30, 2017, 06:10:42 pm »
‘Merkel Has Behaved Irresponsibly’
Daily Caller, May 30, 2017,  Saagar Enjeti

German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s indication Sunday that Europe can no longer fully rely on the U.S. and United Kingdom may have been a blunder, Financial Times chief foreign affairs columnist declared Tuesday.

Financial Times Gideon Rachman took issue with Merkel’s comments after she implied the days where Germany could rely on the western alliance were “over to a certain extent,” adding “I have experienced this in the last few days.”

“I can only say that we Europeans must really take our fate into our own hands,” Merkel declared. “We have to know that we must fight for our future on our own, for our destiny as Europeans,” she continued.

Her speech followed several tense exchanges with President Donald Trump at a series of multi-lateral meetings. Trump reportedly pushed Germany on its trade deficit with the U.S. and admonished much of the NATO alliance for failing to meet its agreed upon spending targets for collective defense.

Merkel’s declarations were quickly held up by a U.S. press eager to show how Trump was fraying transatlantic relations.

Rachman acknowledged Trump’s role in fraying the transatlantic alliance, but noted that “Merkel has also behaved irresponsibly — making a statement that threatens to widen a dangerous rift in the Atlantic alliance into a permanent breach.”

“Given that Germany has been freeriding on American military spending, it is a little cheeky to blame the US for being an unreliable ally,” Rachman continued. He also cautioned Merkel from taking such a confrontational posture with the U.K. particularly in light of coming trade negotiations between the U.K. and the European Union throughout the Brexit process.

More: http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/30/merkel-has-behaved-irresponsibly/

Offline skeeter

Re: ‘Merkel Has Behaved Irresponsibly’
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 06:14:58 pm »
Merkel comes across as more than cynical with her rhetoric given what her refugee policy is doing to Europe and Europeans.

Offline Rivergirl

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 06:15:29 pm »
Does the free world really want Germany to re-arm?
We kept our troops in Germany for a reason.
Sorry if that reason escapes so many.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:16:45 pm »
“Given that Germany has been freeriding on American military spending, it is a little cheeky to blame the US for being an unreliable ally,”

Wingnut

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 06:26:03 pm »

With the world in a clear and present shitstorm .... this is what you worry about?  Germany rearming?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 06:29:04 pm »
Speaking as one that served as one of those troops in Germany, it was to oppose The USSR and her satellites, from invading Europe proper, e.g. Germany and France mainly.

The situation is much different now. Germany's economy is bigger than Russia's economy. Russia's military is bigger than Germany's.

Both the EU and NATO presume cooperation is better than conflict. Prosperity is partly to avoid wars.

All of the countries in Europe are prosperous enough to defend themselves. As an American, I see very little justification to do that for them, and at our cost to boot.

Cooperate, participate, sure. But not solely pay for it.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2017, 06:30:04 pm »
Move the troops to Poland.

Wingnut

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2017, 06:31:32 pm »
Move the troops to Poland.

Pols are good folk.  And they like us!

Offline skeeter

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 06:33:53 pm »

With the world in a clear and present shitstorm .... this is what you worry about?  Germany rearming?

Spotted recently outside a nightclub in Torstraße...

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 06:36:21 pm »
Spotted recently outside a nightclub in Torstraße...

I thought he was running for Mayor of Minehead, Somerset.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 06:46:59 pm »
Forget pretty soon, don't we.

The current limitation on Germany's military isn't from WW2. It's from the collapse of the USSR, and was negotiated by the Americans to allow the reunification of Germany.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 07:01:51 pm »
Forget pretty soon, don't we.

The current limitation on Germany's military isn't from WW2. It's from the collapse of the USSR, and was negotiated by the Americans to allow the reunification of Germany.

Would you care to explain further? I want to learn. In any event, that was about 28 years ago.  WWII was over 72 years ago. Things change.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 07:15:21 pm »
Would you care to explain further? I want to learn. In any event, that was about 28 years ago.  WWII was over 72 years ago. Things change.

In summary, the Russians were willing to oppose the reunification of Germany with everything - including nukes. They didn't want a huge military right on their doorstep, and have (still) very unfond memories of German forces in general.
The only way to defuse the situation and prevent either all out war or a massively disruptive civil war in a still separate East Germany was proposed by the USA and accepted by the Russians. It limited the German military capacity in terms of troops and material to that which West Germany had at the time. No increases despite the sudden doubling of both territory and population after reunification.

It's an old agreement, yes, but it is still in force so far as I know.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2017, 07:28:55 pm »
In summary, the Russians were willing to oppose the reunification of Germany with everything - including nukes. They didn't want a huge military right on their doorstep, and have (still) very unfond memories of German forces in general.
The only way to defuse the situation and prevent either all out war or a massively disruptive civil war in a still separate East Germany was proposed by the USA and accepted by the Russians. It limited the German military capacity in terms of troops and material to that which West Germany had at the time. No increases despite the sudden doubling of both territory and population after reunification.

It's an old agreement, yes, but it is still in force so far as I know.

Okay, thanks.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2017, 07:48:35 pm »
Okay, thanks.

My pleasure. Germany does need to pull its weight militarily and not just on the humanitarian front - you get zero argument from me on that - but it does help to understand why the various constraints are there. As one of my lads (who's a walking encyclopedia of army regs) says - "You got to know the rules to flout the rules without getting your arse bit."  ^-^