Author Topic: McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill  (Read 2399 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill

By Louis Nelson

05/24/2017 02:22 PM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Wednesday said the path forward for the legislation to repeal and replace Obamacare remains unclear, adding that he is unsure at the moment how such a measure will secure the requisite 50 votes from the GOP’s 52 senators.

"I don't know how we get to 50 (votes) at the moment. But that's the goal,” McConnell (R-Ky.) told Reuters in an interview. He said passing a repeal-and-replace measure, a campaign promise of GOP lawmakers for more than seven years and a key plank of President Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign, remains a top priority.

more
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/24/mitch-mcconnell-obamacare-repeal-senate-votes-238779
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
He said passing a repeal-and-replace measure, a campaign promise of GOP lawmakers for more than seven years

Quit lying Mitch.  The campaign promise was to repeal Obamacare "root and branch"...noting about this replace crap.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Quit lying Mitch.  The campaign promise was to repeal Obamacare "root and branch"...noting about this replace crap.

Mitch McConnell is a totally worthless POS and chief swamp critter!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Mitch McConnell is a totally worthless POS and chief swamp critter!

He got everything he says he needed to get Obamacare repealed and now he doesn't think he can get 50 votes?
 *****rollingeyes*****
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

The GOP leadership in tandem with the DC Oligarchy never had any intention of repealing and getting rid of ObamaCare.  None.

McConnell lied through his teeth and shoved our faces in it on election night after the race was called for him.  'Root and Branch' and 'Stop the war on coal' was all just bullsheist.   I will never forget his remarks about needing to punch us grassroots Tea Party Conservatives in the nose.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline bilo

Thank you! Finally someone who remembers the promise we've heard for 7 years. If the Pubs don't fulfill this promise it's going to cost them in 2018 & 2020.

After all what's the point in voting for a Pub if they won't keep their promises.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

The GOP leadership in tandem with the DC Oligarchy never had any intention of repealing and getting rid of ObamaCare.  None.

McConnell lied through his teeth and shoved our faces in it on election night after the race was called for him.  'Root and Branch' and 'Stop the war on coal' was all just bullsheist.  I will never forget his remarks about needing to punch us grassroots Tea Party Conservatives in the nose.

I remember that as well. The problem with punching conservatives in the nose is we punch back. We will attempt to primary as many of them as we can and if that fails vote for someone else in the general election. The Pubs just lost 2 seats that they shouldn't have and I'm sure the spin is it's Trump's fault. I don't think so. It's more likely that the base is seeing the Pub establishment renege on it's promises.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I remember that as well. The problem with punching conservatives in the nose is we punch back. We will attempt to primary as many of them as we can and if that fails vote for someone else in the general election. The Pubs just lost 2 seats that they shouldn't have and I'm sure the spin is it's Trump's fault. I don't think so. It's more likely that the base is seeing the Pub establishment renege on it's promises.
Yep.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline r9etb

Oh, for God's sake, will you please step out of your fantasy booth?

The point of the article is that the votes to do that may not be there.  You can bitch and moan about that all you like, but the campaign promise is dead without the votes in the Senate to make it happen.

Offline libertybele

Mitch McConnell is a liar?  Gee, where have we heard that before?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 08:25:11 pm »

The point of the article is that the votes to do that may not be there.  You can bitch and moan about that all you like, but the campaign promise is dead without the votes in the Senate to make it happen.

You seem to be the one not rooted in historical reality about this issue.

He's spent the last 8 years complaining about how we only had 1/3 of 1/2 of Congress...and how if we only had a bigger majority in the House...then if we only had a Majority in the Senate...and finally if we only had the Presidency...THEN we could get Obamacare repealed.

He's the Senate Majority Leader...the most powerful man in D.C. behind the President and the Veep...he could get the votes if he wanted to.

He certainly had no trouble mustering up Republican majorities when it came to helping Obama.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 08:43:02 pm »

He's spent the last 8 years complaining about how we only had 1/3 of 1/2 of Congress...and how if we only had a bigger majority in the House...then if we only had a Majority in the Senate...and finally if we only had the Presidency...THEN we could get Obamacare repealed.

He's the Senate Majority Leader...the most powerful man in D.C. behind the President and the Veep...he could get the votes if he wanted to.

He certainly had no trouble mustering up Republican majorities when it came to helping Obama.

He's the Senate Majority Leader ... and he represents precisely one vote in the Senate.  He needs to find another 49 people to vote the same way.  And he's saying that right now he doesn't know how he'll find them -- he can't hold a gun to their heads, after all.

He's not lying.  He's telling you about the facts as they currently stand.  No amount of complaining by you on an internet forum is going to change that. 

Offline bilo

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 08:52:38 pm »
He's the Senate Majority Leader ... and he represents precisely one vote in the Senate.  He needs to find another 49 people to vote the same way.  And he's saying that right now he doesn't know how he'll find them -- he can't hold a gun to their heads, after all.

He's not lying.  He's telling you about the facts as they currently stand.  No amount of complaining by you on an internet forum is going to change that.

Yet when the Rats need a vote from a senator they get it.

If the Pubs won't do what they've promised they would do for 7 years then there is no point in voting for them, or contributing to their campaigns. The liberal/moderate Pubs were very happy to go along with the promises made to conservatives as we pushed to make them a majority. Now it's time for them to do something for us. If not don't expect us to act like the Black voters and continue supporting a party thet really doesn't represent us.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 08:52:54 pm »
the campaign promise is dead without the votes in the Senate to make it happen.
It's about high time politicians start keeping their promises, and we need to start making that happen.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 08:55:28 pm »

Exactly.  Not only that but the guy's penchant is to work behind the scenes among both Dems and Pubs to make sure an issue is sure to pass or fail, then he votes the opposite way to showcase to the imbeciles back home here that he "is really a Conservative fighting for you" crappola.

The guy can wrangle up votes to keep a continuing budget resolution that keeps the government open and strong arm everyone in his party when it's something he really wants - but when it comes to actually repealing ObamaCare or the rest of Obama's agenda that he has funded.... not so much.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 08:57:52 pm »
It's about high time politicians start keeping their promises, and we need to start making that happen.

Not unless we start completely over will that happen, and not unless we are a nation that are governed by a morality the majority have discarded.

Because in this day and age, having someone steal for you so you can kick back and have your life funded, is how the country now rolls in terms of morality.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 09:24:47 am »
He ain't fooling me.  I already been celebrating...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wfOMioEjOc

Thank God for the Republicans in US House and President Donald Trump.

Mitch McConnell can go jump off a cliff.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 04:50:36 pm »
He ain't fooling me.  I already been celebrating...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wfOMioEjOc

Thank God for the Republicans in US House and President Donald Trump.

Mitch McConnell can go jump off a cliff.
Just a thought, but he could entice certain bad vote Republicans out of Congress perhaps with plush appointments to do nothing departments, and hope they are replaced with more conservative folks...McCain, Collins, Graham, all come to mind...The worst that would happen is that they'd be replaced by Democrats who would vote with the Democrats (and be opposed by someone new from the GOP next election) instead of Republicans who do.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 04:57:21 pm »
McConnell: 'I don't know' how we get to 50 votes on health care bill

Gee, Mitch.  You got more than 50 votes the last half dozen or so times you voted before.  I didn't go to Stanford.  I didn't graduate from Harvard Law.  Never was a Rhodes scholar.   But common sense tells me if the last bill passed with flying colors, then pass it again, you treasonous Obamacare-loving, TEA-Party-hating, Trump-supported bastard.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 05:05:26 pm »
From a friends e-mail message this morning:

"My wife had an epiphany about Donald Trump: He is the Thornton Mellon (Rodney Dangerfield in "Back to School") of presidents. He may be boorish and vulgar, but he means well (for America) and he knows how to get things done.

My own epiphany regarding the #TrumpPresidency: Every elected official, every appointee, every #lobbyist, and every #bureaucrat in #WashingtonDC, whether Democrat, Republican or Independent, has ZERO interest in a Trump Presidency being a 'success'. On the contrary, ALL of them would prefer to have it fail, because if #Trump succeeds, none of them would have the job security which they currently enjoy; thanks to the entrenched nature of the "I'll scratch your back...", "quid pro quo", favoritism and political maneuvering carried on between everybody in D.C., year in and year out - especially among members of both major parties in #Congress."

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen! That is indeed the lay of the land and we need to act accordingly!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2017, 05:06:06 pm »

The point of the article is that the votes to do that may not be there. 

By "do that", you mean to keep Obamacare in place with a few tweaks.  Keep federal mandates on who and what insurance companies must cover.  And invent a whole new entitlement program that gets incorporated into the tax code just like EITC.

THIS is what McConnell is trying to get passed.  And THIS is what McConnell is whining about not having the votes.

Here's a clue.  The Repubicans should forget about saving Obamacare, and instead concentrating on getting rid of it altogether just like they promised.  GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT THE HELL OUT OF THE HEALTH INSURANCE MARKET.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2017, 05:10:26 pm »
Nobody asked me, but I'd rather see them vote, fail, and then place the blame publicly and squarely on the dems.  That way when it becomes an obvious crisis, they can say "see the Feds should never have been involved in health insurance in the first place, and here is a plan that will not only get us out of most aspects of health insurance, but also make sure those who are unable to provide for themselves have a way to do so". 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2017, 05:12:24 pm »
By "do that", you mean to keep Obamacare in place with a few tweaks.  Keep federal mandates on who and what insurance companies must cover.  And invent a whole new entitlement program that gets incorporated into the tax code just like EITC.

THIS is what McConnell is trying to get passed.  And THIS is what McConnell is whining about not having the votes.

Here's a clue.  The Repubicans should forget about saving Obamacare, and instead concentrating on getting rid of it altogether just like they promised.  GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT THE HELL OUT OF THE HEALTH INSURANCE MARKET.

Hear here!!! 

:hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands: :hands:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Just_Victor

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2017, 05:17:32 pm »
I suppose leadership is out of the question.
If all I want is a warm feeling, I should just wet my pants.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2017, 05:19:33 pm »
Mitch- just vote to repeal Obamacare totally as you did so many times. Then let the free market take over- do you remember the free market, Mitch?
Principles matter. Words matter.