Author Topic: And now for more important News.  (Read 2450 times)

Offline DiogenesLamp

And now for more important News.
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:42:30 pm »
Tim Allen 'Stunned and Blindsided' by ABC's Decision to Cancel Conservative-Favorite 'Last Man Standing'

ABC canceled “Last Man Standing” after an impressive six-season run. The show's ratings were good, leading many viewers to conclude that the show's conservative-leaning writing played a role in the network's decision.

http://ijr.com/2017/05/874252-tim-allen-stunned-blindsided-abcs-decision-cancel-conservative-favorite-last-man-standing/

The Liberal Media empire cannot tolerate  "Badthink."   They must censor the airwaves to make the world safe for Liberal propaganda which they call "Entertainment." 

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: And now for more important News.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 02:44:56 pm »
Couple of the TVcentric site I check said that ABC not owning the show was part of the reason - but snipping a steady earner still doesn't make sense.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:51:18 pm »
Couple of the TVcentric site I check said that ABC not owning the show was part of the reason - but snipping a steady earner still doesn't make sense.

Have you seen this show?    I have only become aware of it in the last few months,   and I have to say it is an awesome television show.   

I have no doubt they canceled it because they didn't like the politics.    Tim Allen is vicious in his attacks on liberal politicians and liberal ideas.   

‘What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass.’
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 02:54:29 pm »
Take it to Netflix... let ABC lose even more viewers.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 02:54:33 pm »
Haven't yet - I admire Tim Allen a great deal,  but don't actually like his non standup performances all that much.  :shrug:

I'll grab a series and give it a view though on your recommendation. Start with the first or is it one you can dive in anywhere?

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 02:59:28 pm »
Take it to Netflix... let ABC lose even more viewers.

If ABC can be forced to back down I will consider that the best outcome,   but if they cannot,   continuing the show elsewhere is a good plan,  if it is possible. 

And yes,  ABC needs to lose viewers,  as does the entire Liberal Media Behemoth.   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:03:53 pm »

Strikes me as some ginned up outrage. One thing that did jump out to me though that makes me think this is a false controversy is when they talk about ratings, they compared it to an HBO series (Game of Thrones) instead of a network series. These are not comparable ratings as HBO shows naturally will have lower ratings as it is a pay service. Comparing apples to apples, this show didn't have good ratings compared to other network series and according to this, was 'steady' with other series also canceled.  We do know the network says it was canceled along with several others just like it to make room for more profitable series. Business as usual.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/man-standing-cancellation-not-tim-allen-politics-article-1.3171824

I'm not a sitcom person and recall only watching an episode or two and didn't go back just because it seemed to be the same old same old.

I also don't see the libs, especially the LGBT community getting up in arms over canceling The Real O'Neals which had similar ratings and was canceled at the same time. If the politics angle were true, they canceled a left and right show.

I do have a laugh though at Conservatives getting all emotional and outraged over pop culture they usually decry.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:06:49 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 03:04:36 pm »
Haven't yet - I admire Tim Allen a great deal,  but don't actually like his non standup performances all that much.  :shrug:

I'll grab a series and give it a view though on your recommendation. Start with the first or is it one you can dive in anywhere?

I've been watching re-runs that appear on Fox,  and they seem to jump around all over the place.   Sometimes they show early episodes of the show,  and sometimes they show episodes that were clearly made during the Presidential campaign. 

I don't think it matters a lot where you start,  each show seems to have it's own point which Tim Allen wishes to get across.   

I have noticed that two of the supporting actors from the very early episodes were replaced with two other people in the later episodes,   but since I am more familiar with the later episodes,   it didn't bother me much.   

Tim Allen covers various topics,  such as "Freedom of Speech",   Belief in God,   Liberal Intolerance,  Nanny Statism,   the Work Ethic,  Politically correctness,  Patriotism,  and so forth. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:13:17 pm »
Cheers!  :beer: It's one less hassle, not having to find the first series!

One of the things I do admire about Tim Allen is he's a tight writer. Probably comes from his stand up sketches, but he's really good at keeping a focus on a single topic, even if you don't think he is as it's unfolding.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 03:23:37 pm »
A few sites alleged that LMS was cancelled in order to bring back Roseanne.  Seems Roseanne is being revived for a limited run.   And a few other old shows are being recycled. 

Sounds to me like the networks have run out of ideas.  No more originality. 

Frankly, I don't really care. TV today is nothing like it used to be -- back when comedies were funny and dramas were exciting.  If I want really good TV entertainment, I'll dig up some old shows on Netflix or one of the other streaming services. 

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 03:24:14 pm »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/man-standing-cancellation-not-tim-allen-politics-article-1.3171824

I would be shocked if they said anything else.   Why would you expect them to ever say they cancelled it over politics instead of ratings?   Of course they would never say that!   

I also don't see the libs, especially the LGBT community getting up in arms over canceling The Real O'Neals which had similar ratings and was canceled at the same time. If the politics angle were true, they canceled a left and right show.

Where did you get your information that "the Real O'Neals"   had similar ratings to "Last Man Standing"?   

I've watched a piece of "the Real O'Neals"  and hated it the instant I saw it.    I find it hard to believe that there would be much love for it from anyone.   

I do have a laugh though at Conservatives getting all emotional and outraged over pop culture they usually decry.

Noting that ABC is part of the Liberal Behemoth that attempts to control thought and steer culture in this nation is not getting "emotional and outraged over pop culture."   

"Culture",  as has been steered by left wing creators in Los Angeles and New York,   has been steadily driving us (conservatives) into political decline.     Having hours of liberal propaganda being hammered into the populace day after day,  seven days a week  will eventually move the populace leftward.   

What you are calling "Pop Culture"   I am calling "Massive Propaganda stream",   and yes,  I think the issue is serious enough that we should take it seriously. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline ABX

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 03:41:48 pm »

Where did you get your information that "the Real O'Neals"   had similar ratings to "Last Man Standing"?   

This shows Last Man Standing had an average rating of 1.15.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/last-man-standing-season-seven-watch-another-channel/

Real O'Neals had an average rating of 1.12- almost identical.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-real-oneals-season-one-ratings/

Both are abysmal ratings.

To put it in comparison, The Muppets were canceled with a 2.8 rating due to poor ratings.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/network-press-releases/abcs-s-h-i-e-l-d-spikes-over-its-may-finale-to-its-best-results-since-december/
(noted at the top of the article).

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 03:44:21 pm »
My wife watches these ABC shows and I don't how she does it: goldbergs, real oneils, fresh off the boat, the middle (not bad but I don't get it), DWTS.

I can't stand any of them.

Offline ABX

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 03:48:47 pm »
My wife watches these ABC shows and I don't how she does it: goldbergs, real oneils, fresh off the boat, the middle (not bad but I don't get it), DWTS.

I wonder why Fresh Off the Boat isn't considered Conservative? It is about small business owners trying to instill values in their kids against the Southern California culture that has different values?  The couple times I saw that, I didn't see any liberalism in it, seemed pretty wholesome and right up the Right's line of thinking.

This show was not canclled. (2.8 rating). 

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 04:11:27 pm »
This shows Last Man Standing had an average rating of 1.15.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/last-man-standing-season-seven-watch-another-channel/

Real O'Neals had an average rating of 1.12- almost identical.
http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-real-oneals-season-one-ratings/

Both are abysmal ratings.

Looking at your source of information I see things that don't make any sense to me.

According to the chart located here
,   "The Real O'Neals"  had 3 million viewers,   while "Last Man Standing"  had 6.4 million viewers.    How can they have similar ratings?   

I also noticed quite a few shows with lesser viewership get renewed.   As a matter of fact,  you have to go all the way up to entry number 1 and 2 to find a show with as good of viewership as "Last Man Standing." 

What gives with this chart?   More viewers equals lesser ratings?    How does this work?   

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »

"Fresh off the Boat"  was okay the couple of times I watched it. 
"The Middle"  wasn't "bad",   but it wasn't great shakes either. 

As for the rest,  I don't'  care for them either. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2017, 04:17:14 pm »
I wonder why Fresh Off the Boat isn't considered Conservative? It is about small business owners trying to instill values in their kids against the Southern California culture that has different values?  The couple times I saw that, I didn't see any liberalism in it, seemed pretty wholesome and right up the Right's line of thinking.

This show was not canclled. (2.8 rating).

I've seen it a couple of times,   and I had no gripes with it.   It actually has a few funny hooks in it.   The Husband is a softy,  and gets ran over by people who exploit him,   while the Wife is a cut throat mean-@$$ who don't take no crap from anybody.   

The couple of episodes I saw were good,   but I don't watch sitcoms that often.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2017, 04:17:22 pm »
And now for another changed, non-descriptive clickbait headline.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2017, 04:22:31 pm »

Looking at your source of information I see things that don't make any sense to me.

According to the chart located here
,   "The Real O'Neals"  had 3 million viewers,   while "Last Man Standing"  had 6.4 million viewers.    How can they have similar ratings?   

I also noticed quite a few shows with lesser viewership get renewed.   As a matter of fact,  you have to go all the way up to entry number 1 and 2 to find a show with as good of viewership as "Last Man Standing." 

What gives with this chart?   More viewers equals lesser ratings?    How does this work?

Probably due to demographic range. The key demographic is 18-49 which is the money demographic. For that, they are almost identical. The viewership difference is probably made up in the 50-80 demographic which is not considered as profitable of a demographic (more viewers but fewer advertisers who want to buy time targeting them).  It all comes down to the money. Advertisers want to buy time for the 18-49 demographic, in that the show tanks. It does well for older people but advertisers don't want to target them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:24:06 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2017, 04:24:44 pm »
That makes sense - in a stupid way. Who tends to have more free cash - a 45 year old or a 60 year old?

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »
And now for another changed, non-descriptive clickbait headline.

And now for another meaningless complaining comment that does nothing to further any sort of discussion about issues.   
— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2017, 04:31:16 pm »
Probably due to demographic range. The key demographic is 18-49 which is the money demographic. For that, they are almost identical. The viewership difference is probably made up in the 50-80 demographic which is not considered as profitable of a demographic (more viewers but fewer advertisers who want to buy time targeting them).  It all comes down to the money. Advertisers want to buy time for the 18-49 demographic, in that the show tanks. It does well for older people but advertisers don't want to target them.

The chart does not make it clear that there is a division between number of viewers and the 18-49 demographic.    It also occurs to me that an extra 3 million viewers have got to equate to some level of financial recompense that exceeds a show with only 3 million viewers. 

I noticed a couple of shows with even worse ratings got renewed,  and they didn't even have 3 million viewers,  let alone 6.4 million viewers. 

I noticed that politically correct "Quantico"  crap got renewed.   Of course it did. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Offline DiogenesLamp

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2017, 04:34:51 pm »
That makes sense - in a stupid way. Who tends to have more free cash - a 45 year old or a 60 year old?

It might make more sense if we could see some numbers that indicate that this show didn't do very well in the 18-49 demographic,  and like I said,   doubling the viewership of most of the other shows ought to count for something even if it's outside their preferred target demographic. 

Is 50-80 equal in value to 1/2 of an 18-49?   Are they 3/5ths of a person?   

Surely they must have some numerical value that equates to a fraction of an 18-49,  and unless that fraction is extremely small,  I don't see how an extra 3 million viewers can be ignored. 

— Lord Melbourne —

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2017, 04:38:12 pm »
Sorry, I don't think this is very important..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2017, 04:41:48 pm »

It might make more sense if we could see some numbers that indicate that this show didn't do very well in the 18-49 demographic,  and like I said,   doubling the viewership of most of the other shows ought to count for something even if it's outside their preferred target demographic. 

Is 50-80 equal in value to 1/2 of an 18-49?   Are they 3/5ths of a person?   

Surely they must have some numerical value that equates to a fraction of an 18-49,  and unless that fraction is extremely small,  I don't see how an extra 3 million viewers can be ignored.

I don't know - ads are horribly biased towards youth, a blind man can see that, but the quantification you are talking about would be interesting to know.

I'd love to think that 50-80 is less valuable to advertisers because they're experienced enough to not fall for crap. Unfortunately, age and wisdom pair about as often as socks straight from the drier.