Author Topic: Brokaw: I Haven’t Run Into Anyone Who Thinks Comey Was Doing a Good Job  (Read 847 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Brokaw: I Haven’t Run Into Anyone Who Thinks Comey Was Doing a Good Job
Washington Free Beacon, May 11, 2017, Charles Fain Lehman

Veteran reporter Tom Brokaw said in an interview with Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC that he has not seen anybody who thinks former FBI Director James Comey was doing a good job.

Brokaw, who covered the Watergate scandal in the 1970s, suggested that much of the media response to Comey's Tuesday firing and Russia's possible connection to President Donald Trump's campaign team was "speculation."

"One of the things that I learned during Watergate … is that we dealt with it every day on a factual basis. There was not a lot of speculation. Now, of course, the media landscape has changed a lot, and we have that going on 24/7," Brokaw said.

"I do think, however, that all of us as reporters … have to take a deep breath and say let's deal with the facts as we know them at this point," he continued.

Brokaw emphasized that the firing of Comey was not, in his professional opinion, analogous to Watergate. But, he said, "there are a lot of elements here that desperately need more explanation, more investigation."

Brokaw also pointed out the turn of opinion on Comey following his firing by Trump.

"I haven't run into anybody yet who thinks that Jim Comey was doing a good job as the FBI director, beginning last summer," Brokaw said.

"And then as you'll remember, Hillary Clinton and others in the Democratic Party all but blamed him for her loss," Brokaw said. "Now they're defending him as the champion."

"So there's a lot of confusion going on here," he concluded. "Our obligation I think is to sort it out, truth from fact, and deal with the truth."

http://freebeacon.com/issues/brokaw-comey-good-job/

Online Right_in_Virginia

"So there's a lot of confusion going on here," he concluded. "Our obligation I think is to sort it out, truth from fact, and deal with the truth."

If the media won't do it, the responsibility falls to us.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Aside from Trump.

OCTOBER 28, 2016 - The day Comey announced the FBI was investigating new Clinton emails

"The FBI - after discovering new emails, is re-opening their investigation into Hillary Clinton," Trump said at a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire. "I have great respect for the FBI for righting this wrong."

OCTOBER 31, 2016 - Trump holds a rally in Grand Rapids, MI

"You know that. It took a lot of guts. I really disagreed with him. I was not his fan," Trump said of Comey. "I tell you what, what he did, he brought back his reputation. He brought it back. He's got to hang tough. A lot of people want him to do the wrong thing. What he did was the right thing."

NOVEMBER 13, 2016 - Trump's '60 Minutes' interview with Lesley Stahl

"I respect him a lot. I respect the FBI a lot," Trump said.

During the interview, Stahl asked if Trump wanted Comey gone when he came into office, to which Trump replied that he wasn't sure. He said despite what he perceived as "leaks" coming from the FBI, he wanted to speak with Comey before answering that kind of question.

JANUARY 22, 2017 - Trump attends a law enforcement reception on his second full day as president

"He's become more famous than me," Trump said of Comey to a crowd at a reception.

Before making the comment, Trump called out to Comey, who was in the crowd. Comey approached Trump who shook his hand before embracing him in a hug.

FEBRUARY 24, 2017 - Trump slams the FBI on Twitter for failing to stop 'leaks'

"The FBI is totally unable to stop the national security 'leakers' that have permeated our government for a long time. They can't even find the leakers within the FBI itself. Classified information is being given to media that could have a devastating effect on U.S. FIND NOW," Trump wrote on Twitter.

APRIL 12, 2017 - Trump's interview with Fox Business' Maria Bartiromo

"It's not too late [to ask Comey to step down], but, you know, I have confidence in him. We'll see what happens, you know, it's going to be interesting," Trump said.

MAY 2, 2017 - Trump tweets Comey was 'best thing' that ever happened to Clinton

"FBI Director Comey was the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton in that he gave her a free pass for many bad deeds! The phony Trump/Russia story was an excuse used by the Democrats as justification for losing the election. Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?" Trump wrote in a tweet.

MAY 9, 2017 - Trump dismisses Comey on the advice of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein

"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau," Trump wrote in Comey's dismissal letter.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/here-s-timeline-trump-s-statements-comey-n757416

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Aside from Trump.

OCTOBER 28, 2016 - The day Comey announced the FBI was investigating new Clinton emails

"The FBI - after discovering new emails, is re-opening their investigation into Hillary Clinton," Trump said at a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire. "I have great respect for the FBI for righting this wrong."

OCTOBER 31, 2016 - Trump holds a rally in Grand Rapids, MI

"You know that. It took a lot of guts. I really disagreed with him. I was not his fan," Trump said of Comey. "I tell you what, what he did, he brought back his reputation. He brought it back. He's got to hang tough. A lot of people want him to do the wrong thing. What he did was the right thing."

NOVEMBER 13, 2016 - Trump's '60 Minutes' interview with Lesley Stahl

"I respect him a lot. I respect the FBI a lot," Trump said.

During the interview, Stahl asked if Trump wanted Comey gone when he came into office, to which Trump replied that he wasn't sure. He said despite what he perceived as "leaks" coming from the FBI, he wanted to speak with Comey before answering that kind of question.

JANUARY 22, 2017 - Trump attends a law enforcement reception on his second full day as president

"He's become more famous than me," Trump said of Comey to a crowd at a reception.

Before making the comment, Trump called out to Comey, who was in the crowd. Comey approached Trump who shook his hand before embracing him in a hug.

FEBRUARY 24, 2017 - Trump slams the FBI on Twitter for failing to stop 'leaks'

"The FBI is totally unable to stop the national security 'leakers' that have permeated our government for a long time. They can't even find the leakers within the FBI itself. Classified information is being given to media that could have a devastating effect on U.S. FIND NOW," Trump wrote on Twitter.

APRIL 12, 2017 - Trump's interview with Fox Business' Maria Bartiromo

"It's not too late [to ask Comey to step down], but, you know, I have confidence in him. We'll see what happens, you know, it's going to be interesting," Trump said.

MAY 2, 2017 - Trump tweets Comey was 'best thing' that ever happened to Clinton

"FBI Director Comey was the best thing that ever happened to Hillary Clinton in that he gave her a free pass for many bad deeds! The phony Trump/Russia story was an excuse used by the Democrats as justification for losing the election. Perhaps Trump just ran a great campaign?" Trump wrote in a tweet.

MAY 9, 2017 - Trump dismisses Comey on the advice of Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein

"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the Bureau," Trump wrote in Comey's dismissal letter.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/here-s-timeline-trump-s-statements-comey-n757416

You think these rubes give a shit about anything Trump says?

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
You think these rubes give a shit about anything Trump says?

Only folks who care about consistency and who hate hypocrisy care about such things.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.