Author Topic: California plans to tax space travel by the mile  (Read 3494 times)

Offline DB

Re: California plans to tax space travel by the mile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2017, 05:30:19 am »
They have concentrated there now, so where they originated is less germane...

...unless you are from an older family there and have resented every part of that invasion, which I could understand. I could not live where I grew up now because of the insane taxes and laws there, as much as I miss the family, a handful of friends, and the place (sans regulatory insanity). I recognize that the place I miss no longer exists in so many ways, even though the geography that has avoided being altered still persists. It is hard to watch a place you love slide into that abyss, but it is behind the velvet curtain now.

I live in the hills with trees and lots of wildlife with beautiful views about 10 miles from the coast. The taxes and utility costs are killing me. My property taxes alone are $30k a year and the basic utilities are over $12k a year. And that was before they jacked up electricity costs to $0.40 a kwh in March... I've had enough. My family and friends are here. But I have to go. It isn't easy to leave one's long time home.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2017, 05:38:23 am »
I live in the hills with trees and lots of wildlife with beautiful views about 10 miles from the coast. The taxes and utility costs are killing me. My property taxes alone are $30k a year and the basic utilities are over $12k a year. And that was before they jacked up electricity costs to $0.40 a kwh in March... I've had enough. My family and friends are here. But I have to go. It isn't easy to leave one's long time home.
Believe me, I know. I ended up half a country away, with a swarm of aging relatives I seldom see back there, but whom I am often in contact with. No less love for family and friends, I just can't live there. Taxes there are insane, Gun laws would make me an instant felon if I just brought what's in my cabinet, many times over, and for things as simple as a magazine. The family has fought all that, but the invasion has changed the place.
What galls me, is that my family goes back to early colonial times there, and all these laws have been made by the corrupt or those elected by people who moved there to feed at the Federal Trough.
Which is why I caution Texans about attracting business and people solely for the money, that can and will backfire, even on Texas. There is no coup more pleasing for the Liberals out there than to turn Texas blue.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 05:40:05 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2017, 06:13:04 am »
Believe me, I know. I ended up half a country away, with a swarm of aging relatives I seldom see back there, but whom I am often in contact with. No less love for family and friends, I just can't live there. Taxes there are insane, Gun laws would make me an instant felon if I just brought what's in my cabinet, many times over, and for things as simple as a magazine. The family has fought all that, but the invasion has changed the place.
What galls me, is that my family goes back to early colonial times there, and all these laws have been made by the corrupt or those elected by people who moved there to feed at the Federal Trough.
Which is why I caution Texans about attracting business and people solely for the money, that can and will backfire, even on Texas. There is no coup more pleasing for the Liberals out there than to turn Texas blue.

I know the feeling. My family roots in this area go back to at least the early 1800s...

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2017, 10:10:08 am »
Be careful with that.

If people are moving to Texas from California just for the money, you're going to get pretty much the full spectrum of Californicators, because they won't be moving for more freedom, to own guns, to live better, or more free--they'll be moving for the money, and try to bring the rest of the insane tyranny they are comfortable with right along with them.

Very valid point.  In fact the past 20 years have already proven your point many times over.

Austin has always been a liberal city, but they crossed the loony rubicon some time back and sane voices are no longer allowed to be heard.  Dallas and Houston were traditionally conservative cities but today they are politically unrecognizable.  I've even noticed some of the suburbs and smaller towns have turned to the dark side and believe more taxes and more regulations are the answer.

From a electoral college standpoint add up the votes in those three major cities plus the South Texas vote and things get dicey quickly.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2017, 11:25:18 am »
Very valid point.  In fact the past 20 years have already proven your point many times over.

Austin has always been a liberal city, but they crossed the loony rubicon some time back and sane voices are no longer allowed to be heard.  Dallas and Houston were traditionally conservative cities but today they are politically unrecognizable.  I've even noticed some of the suburbs and smaller towns have turned to the dark side and believe more taxes and more regulations are the answer.

From a electoral college standpoint add up the votes in those three major cities plus the South Texas vote and things get dicey quickly.
Just an observation, but cities tend toward statism anyway. It starts off innocently enough. When there are enough people in a small area, you get a lot of different things that tick people off enough that you rapidly end up with a lot of rules. They see it as a coping mechanism, and  people just stop talking with each other and let the rules and enforcers do the talking instead.
One or two bad incidents and people are willing (again, out of fear) to let more rules be passed to keep them feeling 'safe', whether or not the rules actually do anything to make them safer.
Next thing you know you have full blown liberalism.
Out in the sticks, people interact and get to know each other, there's a face on the person they deal with, and have more of a tendency to either leave one another alone (more space, less effect) or work things out if there is a problem. It becomes a point of pride to be a decent neighbor and help each other out in a pinch, instead of compound problems with rules and enforcers.
Those fundamental differences in lifestyle and approach remain a dividing line in political philosophy, with each drawing like people to their core or away from one. City folks revere the services and opportunities available in the very concentrations of population which cause them to sacrifice fundamental freedoms. Those less inclined to be subject to those rules or lifestyle and who find nothing attractive enough about those opportunities to forego the liberties of a more rural existence will shun the city and its rules, as much as possible.

At some point, a concentration of people reaches that critical mass when not all of the opportunities for commerce are benevolent: vices concentrate as well as virtue, and create markets for the particular subject thereof, far beyond that which would ordinarily be encountered in a rural environment. The resultant criminal activity compels more rules, more enforcers, and less freedom for the average person who perceives the need for more government as a result. When those concentrations of people can outvote the populations of the relatively huge swaths of land which surround them, they will make rules for the people who do not share their vision, and in effect create criminals where ordinarily there would have been no problem.
I think it has always been thus, and the damnation of every major empire in the past as urban centers took control overall.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2017, 04:23:23 pm »
Just an observation . . .

Damn, well said.

:beer:

Wingnut

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2017, 09:01:11 pm »
Speaking of space travel.....

I was takin' a trip out to LA
Toolin' along in my Chevrolet
Tokin' on a number and diggin' on the radio

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2017, 10:35:46 pm »
@Smokin Joe

Living in Livonia is what seems to have been the single largest factor in making my sister a liberal. Its all about the "free" things like trash pick up and all the conveniences like restaurants and theaters.

Unfortunately since our mother passed away my sister has decided that she needs to save me from the horrible depression I must feel living here in this tiny town without movies and restaurants.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2017, 03:49:00 am »
Like Locusts Californians will come to your state as they are taxed out of existence - and then once in Texas they will vote the same way they did in mexifornia, and consume every liberty-resource that exists there in Texas and turn you into the same or worse than they are now.
Really? Have you maybe noticed some of the insanity that happens in Texas, I suppose those from California are responsible?Truth is there are more than enough crazy homegrown liberals in every one of the states, as is proven by what happens with the schools, the alphabet soupers and muzzie apologists. :thud:

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2017, 12:26:15 pm »
And Vandenberg is a USAF base.  California can claim all the taxes they want, the feds will probably just ignore them.  And as for high inclination orbits, all CA will do is incentivize Hawaii to build some launch facilities on the big island.  CONUS isn't really a requirement for launch sites, you know.

The Kodiak range in Alaska is available, at least for part of the year.......

Wingnut

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2017, 12:27:58 pm »
I'm convinced the only way to stop California's evil is to nuke the whole state from space.  Its the only way to be sure.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2017, 12:34:22 pm »
Really? Have you maybe noticed some of the insanity that happens in Texas, I suppose those from California are responsible?Truth is there are more than enough crazy homegrown liberals in every one of the states, as is proven by what happens with the schools, the alphabet soupers and muzzie apologists. :thud:

Plenty of homegrown crazy in Texas same as every other state. Same with imported crazy.

Texas has one of the fastest growing muslim populations in the country.