Author Topic: California plans to tax space travel by the mile  (Read 3493 times)

rangerrebew

California plans to tax space travel by the mile
« on: May 05, 2017, 09:03:53 am »
May 5, 2017
By Ed Straker

Liberals are salivating at the idea of taxing cars by the distance they travel, to better rake in money for their nefarious purposes. But in California they are taking the idea one step further, planning to tax space rockets by the mile as well.

According to the proposal, California will collect tax from space transportation companies based on a formula factoring in how often a company launches spacecrafts out of the state, and, most importantly, how far a commercial spacecraft travels from California soil. Between May and mid-October, there were eight launches from Vandenberg Air Force Base, in Santa Barbara County about 50 miles south of San Luis Obispo.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/05/california_plans_to_tax_space_travel_by_the_mile.html#ixzz4gC3DRWhO
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

Offline thackney

Re: California plans to tax space travel by the mile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 12:21:53 pm »
May 5, 2017
By Ed Straker

Liberals are salivating at the idea of taxing cars by the distance they travel, to better rake in money for their nefarious purposes. But in California they are taking the idea one step further, planning to tax space rockets by the mile as well.

According to the proposal, California will collect tax from space transportation companies based on a formula factoring in how often a company launches spacecrafts out of the state, and, most importantly, how far a commercial spacecraft travels from California soil. Between May and mid-October, there were eight launches from Vandenberg Air Force Base, in Santa Barbara County about 50 miles south of San Luis Obispo.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2017/05/california_plans_to_tax_space_travel_by_the_mile.html#ixzz4gC3DRWhO
Follow us: @AmericanThinker on Twitter | AmericanThinker on Facebook

What a great plan!  If your plan was to run these businesses out of your state for good, that is...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:30:32 pm »
Depending on how many government agency launches there are, this may simply be a way of robbing the federal taxpayer to pay for parochial state spending priorities; the federal government tends to be rather price insensitive. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 01:18:51 pm »
Can you imagine Michigan deciding to tax car companies based upon how many miles the cars build in Michigan were driven in other states?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

rangerrebew

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 01:41:37 pm »
I wouldn't be the least surprised if the "space" tax morphed into a tax on airline miles.  It is Mejifornia, after all, always looking for new tax sources.

Offline Hondo69

• The more I know the less I understand
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 02:16:56 pm »
A few years back Gov. Rick Perry was ridiculed for making a TV commercial welcoming businesses to Texas from California.  The implied message was, "Thank you California for being insane, we appreciate the business here in Texas."

When companies or individuals move from CA to TX they immediately get a raise in the form of less taxes.  I'd be in favor of taking that one step further.  Offer people a cash bonus to relocate.  Green cash, not a credit, but cold hard cash.  Not only would they get their automatic raise just for a lower tax burden, but a cash bonus over and above the raise.  (Notice I didn't include companies in this cash plan, they get their bonus in other ways.)

Sure it would cost a few taxpayer dollars but it's probably cheaper than running TV ads.  Plus you get to poke California with a stick, and that's priceless.

Offline kevindavis007

Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 02:48:02 pm »
Something like 25 trillion miles to Alpha centauri.

I better get free shipping.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 02:52:17 pm »
Something like 25 trillion miles to Alpha centauri.

I better get free shipping.

So if I go to Vulan, they will tax my trip to Vulcan??? Which is 100 trillion miles..  I better take the trip either from Texas or Florida..
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 03:31:45 pm »
Like CA is the only place you can launch a rocket?

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 03:40:34 pm »
Also, if I go to the Andromeda Galaxy, and the ship launches from California? They are going to tax my quadrillion mile trip?

geronl

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 04:46:10 pm »
A few years back Gov. Rick Perry was ridiculed for making a TV commercial welcoming businesses to Texas from California.  The implied message was, "Thank you California for being insane, we appreciate the business here in Texas."

When companies or individuals move from CA to TX they immediately get a raise in the form of less taxes.

The state does incentivize companies with special tax deals, I totally oppose that. I don't want government handing out cash, that's what liberals do.

geronl

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2017, 04:48:28 pm »
a state trying to tax things that happen outside of its jurisdiction sounds like something a judge would toss very quickly

Offline r9etb

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 06:26:29 pm »
Like CA is the only place you can launch a rocket?

Vandenberg is the best CONUS site to launch things into high inclination orbits.  Everyplace else has range safety constraints that make it more difficult.

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 06:54:03 pm »
Vandenberg is the best CONUS site to launch things into high inclination orbits.  Everyplace else has range safety constraints that make it more difficult.

And Vandenberg is a USAF base.  California can claim all the taxes they want, the feds will probably just ignore them.  And as for high inclination orbits, all CA will do is incentivize Hawaii to build some launch facilities on the big island.  CONUS isn't really a requirement for launch sites, you know.
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

geronl

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 07:10:15 pm »
And Vandenberg is a USAF base.  California can claim all the taxes they want, the feds will probably just ignore them.  And as for high inclination orbits, all CA will do is incentivize Hawaii to build some launch facilities on the big island.  CONUS isn't really a requirement for launch sites, you know.

build it in Puerto Rico

Offline r9etb

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 07:23:11 pm »
CONUS isn't really a requirement for launch sites, you know.

CONUS isn't a a requirement, but logistically it is extremely convenient for a lot of reasons.

Offline r9etb

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 07:24:55 pm »
build it in Puerto Rico

Range safety again.  For launches into high-inclination orbits, the likely trail of flaming debris from a launch failure crosses a lot of populated areas.

geronl

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 07:26:02 pm »
Range safety again.  For launches into high-inclination orbits, the likely trail of flaming debris from a launch failure crosses a lot of populated areas.

Cuba and Mexico don't count though. lol.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 12:35:22 am »
a state trying to tax things that happen outside of its jurisdiction sounds like something a judge would toss very quickly

Not really.  The event that triggers the tax is the launch inside CA; the miles taken (inside and outside CA) are just a measure of the tax.  So long as there is some rational relationship between the mileage and the benefits conferred by CA, the tax would likely be upheld.  Of course, there's lots of room to argue that the mileage is not a good proxy for measuring whatever benefit CA provided by being the launch site, so the case could be made.  Still, most courts are way too allergic to serious tax issues, so most would probably just uphold it. 

Offline Doug Loss

• Proud Tennessean
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2017, 02:19:29 am »
Not really.  The event that triggers the tax is the launch inside CA; the miles taken (inside and outside CA) are just a measure of the tax.  So long as there is some rational relationship between the mileage and the benefits conferred by CA, the tax would likely be upheld.  Of course, there's lots of room to argue that the mileage is not a good proxy for measuring whatever benefit CA provided by being the launch site, so the case could be made.  Still, most courts are way too allergic to serious tax issues, so most would probably just uphold it.

But unless the tax is quite low, the launch companies will have very strong incentives to move somewhere else.  New Zealand, perhaps...
My political philosophy:

1) I'm not bothering anybody.
2) It's none of your business.
3) Leave me alone!

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2017, 04:20:36 am »

When companies or individuals move from CA to TX they immediately get a raise in the form of less taxes.  I'd be in favor of taking that one step further.  Offer people a cash bonus to relocate.  Green cash, not a credit, but cold hard cash.  Not only would they get their automatic raise just for a lower tax burden, but a cash bonus over and above the raise.  (Notice I didn't include companies in this cash plan, they get their bonus in other ways.)

Sure it would cost a few taxpayer dollars but it's probably cheaper than running TV ads.  Plus you get to poke California with a stick, and that's priceless.

Like Locusts Californians will come to your state as they are taxed out of existence - and then once in Texas they will vote the same way they did in mexifornia, and consume every liberty-resource that exists there in Texas and turn you into the same or worse than they are now.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline DB

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2017, 04:28:08 am »
Like Locusts Californians will come to your state as they are taxed out of existence - and then once in Texas they will vote the same way they did in mexifornia, and consume every liberty-resource that exists there in Texas and turn you into the same or worse than they are now.

The truth is most "Californians" are not from California and came here and destroyed the state.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2017, 05:02:39 am »

Be careful with that.

If people are moving to Texas from California just for the money, you're going to get pretty much the full spectrum of Californicators, because they won't be moving for more freedom, to own guns, to live better, or more free--they'll be moving for the money, and try to bring the rest of the insane tyranny they are comfortable with right along with them.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2017, 05:17:20 am »
The truth is most "Californians" are not from California and came here and destroyed the state.
They have concentrated there now, so where they originated is less germane...

...unless you are from an older family there and have resented every part of that invasion, which I could understand. I could not live where I grew up now because of the insane taxes and laws there, as much as I miss the family, a handful of friends, and the place (sans regulatory insanity). I recognize that the place I miss no longer exists in so many ways, even though the geography that has avoided being altered still persists. It is hard to watch a place you love slide into that abyss, but it is behind the velvet curtain now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis