Author Topic: US Government Decides Which Are, Are Not, Legitimate Native American Tribes  (Read 750 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
US Government Decides Which Are, Are Not, Legitimate Native American Tribes

WASHINGTON —
On a sunny afternoon in May 2016, members of Virginia’s Pamunkey Indian Tribe gathered for a formal photograph celebrating a milestone after three decades of effort: Official recognition by the U.S. government.

When the English arrived in Virginia in the 1600s, the Pamunkey were one of the most powerful tribes of the Powhatan federation led by Chief Wahunsenacawh Powhatan – remembered today as the father of the Pocahontas.
His domains stretched across nearly 10,000 square kilometers; today, the Pamunkey reservation has shrunk to 485 hectares where some 80 members still live. The remaining 200 are scattered across Virginia and beyond.

Gaining federal recognition was a Herculean task, said Pamunkey Chief Robert Grey.

Continued: http://www.voanews.com/a/us-government-decides-which-are-are-not-legitimate-native-american-tribes/3834462.html

Wingnut

I'm a proud member of the

I demand to be recognized!

geronl

Good luck since our government can't tell the difference between boys and girls these days

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
As far as I'm concerned I'm as native as anybody.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
More bureaucratic selective identity. If me and many others believe we are a native american tribe, then why can't we be one, if I can declare my current gender on a minute by minute basis.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cripplecreek

More bureaucratic selective identity. If me and many others believe we are a native american tribe, then why can't we be one, if I can declare my current gender on a minute by minute basis.

"Native" to the western hemisphere are a rather arbitrary standard based on method of arrival. Apparently you can only be native if your ancestors walked here but that may only be one method of arrival but other prehistoric arrivals may have come from Europe to the east coast.

Just the other day there was a story posted here about evidence of much earlier hominids 130,000 years ago that died out. Or we can fast forward to the Viking attempts to colonize. The simple fact is that it looks like the Americas were subjected to multiple waves of attempted colonization with the final and most successful beginning in the 1500s.

While the indians had been here a long time, they were a remnant of a much larger and more sophisticated civilization that collapsed. The indian tribes we first encountered didn't build the Cahokia pyramids or the animal mounds all across the midwest and south.  (Not to mention the much grander stoneworks of central and south America.) Things on that scale require an actual dedicated workforce that must be provided for by means other than hunter gathering.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"While the indians had been here a long time, they were a remnant of a much larger and more sophisticated civilization that collapsed. The indian tribes we first encountered didn't build the Cahokia pyramids or the animal mounds all across the midwest and south.  (Not to mention the much grander stoneworks of central and south America.) Things on that scale require an actual dedicated workforce that must be provided for by means other than hunter gathering."

Ahem... didn't some fellow from the nineteenth century named Joseph Smith write a book about that...?   ;)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
As far as I'm concerned I'm as native as anybody.
Me, too. Not only was I born here, my ancestors were here for some time before there was a United States.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

Ahem... didn't some fellow from the nineteenth century named Joseph Smith write a book about that...?   ;)

Don't know. I never read the book of Mormon but I do know that the mounds exist and weren't built by small tribes of hunter gatherers.

Offline Smokin Joe

Don't know. I never read the book of Mormon but I do know that the mounds exist and weren't built by small tribes of hunter gatherers.
Not just Cahokia, but the effigy mounds of the Ohio Valley as well.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cripplecreek

I've been to the snake mound in Ohio.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

When De Soto came through the territory of what is now the southeast US, he encountered villages every 10 miles or so according to him. There was a high density of settled population east of the Mississippi, and fairly advanced tribes like the Iriquois and Cherokee.

There is little doubt that there was a great deal of civilization, much of which we'll probably never know of, but definitely advanced enough to build mounds.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 01:02:18 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

geronl

When De Soto came through the territory of what is now the southeast US, he encountered villages every 10 miles or so according to him. There was a high density of settled population east of the Mississippi, and fairly advanced tribes like the Iriquois and Cherokee.

There is little doubt that there was a great deal of civilization, much of which we'll probably never know of, but definitely advanced enough to build mounds.

A few centuries before "white man", North America's population and society apparently (according to some reports) rivaled Europe. Something changed that drastically and what the settlers found was the remnant.

geronl

shovels: advanced society

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
A few centuries before "white man", North America's population and society apparently (according to some reports) rivaled Europe. Something changed that drastically and what the settlers found was the remnant.

Thought it was the Vikings. They landed well before Columbus - fetching their freight of diseases that the natives had no immunity to.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Smokin Joe

Thought it was the Vikings. They landed well before Columbus - fetching their freight of diseases that the natives had no immunity to.
One possibility. The Celts may have brought something with them, too.

http://stonestructures.org/html/gungywamp.html

Or the Chinese, they always seem to have some new flu around.

http://www.gavinmenzies.net/Evidence/23-annex-23-%E2%80%93-evidence-of-the-chinese-fleets-visiting-california/

Or a little bit of all of them.

C S Lewis