Author Topic: ‘A beer in one hand, a gun in the other’, man kills 1, injures 7 at San Diego apartment pool  (Read 1818 times)

Offline mountaineer

‘A beer in one hand, a gun in the other’, man kills 1, injures 7 at San Diego apartment pool
Derek Hawkins
Washington Post
EXCERPTED
A gunman opened fire at an apartment complex swimming pool in San Diego Sunday evening, killing one person and injuring seven others before being fatally shot by officers, police said.

The gunman, identified as Peter Selis, was pronounced dead on the scene. Police described him as a white male who may have lived in one of the buildings, and said all of the victims were African American or Hispanic. Police said they did not know if race was a factor in the attack.

Officers responded to reports of a shooting around 6 p.m. at the upscale La Jolla Crossroads apartments in San Diego’s University City neighborhood, where about 30 people had gathered for a birthday party at the pool.

A police helicopter arrived on the scene first and reported seeing a suspect armed with a handgun, surrounded by “numerous victims,” San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said in a news conference. The pilot watched the suspect reload his weapon once and open fire again on the partygoers, she said.

A witness who saw the chaos from his apartment window said the shooter appeared calm as his victims struggled on the ground in front of him.

“We could see the shooter sitting there with a beer in one hand and a gun in the other,” the witness, who was not identified, told ABC 10. ...
Rest of story
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

VIDEO: People Took Cell Phone Video Rather Than Call For Help At La Jolla Crossroads Mass Shooting
By Officer Blue On April 30, 2017

Video Shows People Recording La Jolla Crossroads Active Shooter

San Diego, CA – An active shooter incident has been declared a mass casualty incident in San Diego. Cell phone video has surfaced which appears to capture the gunshots, as people took cell phone video rather than call 911 (non-graphic video below.)

Police responded to a report of an active shooter at the pool area of La Jolla Crossroads Apartments in the University City neighborhood on Sunday night around 6 PM.

Reports of the active shooter first came in with multiple victims down. According to CBS 8, 8 victims are reported to have been shot and have been transported to area hospitals. San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said that the victims were in critical condition.  ...

Story and video at Blue Lives Matter

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. $1400 for a studio apartment at this place. Ridiculous.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Pretty common in most urban areas.   Here in Tampa you might even pay upwards of $2200 if its a 2 or 3 bedroom.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

Cell phone video has surfaced which appears to capture the gunshots, as people took cell phone video rather than call 911.

On a sunny day, I'd be hard-pressed to get my cellphone video working before half the incident was over.  I'm too old for 2017.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

Finally. A report with complete descriptions of the principles.

Offline mountaineer

Details On The San Diego Active Shooter, Peter Selis, Who Shot 8 Victims
By Cowgirl On May 1, 2017
Car Mechanic, Peter Selis, Commits Mass Shooting At Pool Party

San Diego, CA –  What started out as a birthday celebration on a peaceful Sunday afternoon ended in a chaotic scene of blood everywhere, when Peter Selis went on a shooting spree at a San Diego apartment complex. One person was killed and seven others were critically injured in the mass shooting.

According to ABC News, the incident occurred about 6 PM on Sunday, inside a gated pool area at the La Jolla Crossroads Apartments on Judicial Drive. The apartment complex is near the University of California – San Diego.

The suspect, Peter Selis, 49, opened fire at a crowd of about 30 people at a birthday pool party. Selis, who is white, shot eight people. His victims were reported to be black and hispanic, and law enforcement is investigating if this attack was a hate crime.

Witnesses said that Selis never got out of his chair. While drinking a beer, he shot his victims with a semi-automatic pistol.

Before San Diego police officers arrived, a police helicopter was above the pool area, and the pilot reported multiple victims on the ground.  He also reported that the suspect was still in the pool area and appeared to be reloading.

San Diego police officers responded, and Peter Selis opened fire on them upon their arrival. Three police officers returned fire, and Selis was shot and killed.

Peter Selis was employed as a car mechanic at a local Ford dealership, and had filed for bankruptcy in 2015.  He was reported to be deeply in debt, according to The San Diego Union-Tribune.  Before he opened fire, he had been offered food and drink by one of the partygoers, but continued sitting quietly in a chair.

One victim, a black female, later died at the hospital from her wounds. The other victims, all black or hispanic, were being treated at local hospitals for their gunshot wounds. Some were still in surgery and listed in critical condition.

Another victim, who was not shot, was taken to the hospital after he broke his arm while fleeing.  The other victims who were shot include three black women, three black men, and one hispanic man, according to ABC 7NY.  None of their names have been released.  Among the shooting victims was the man who was celebrating his birthday.

A witness who lives at the apartment complex, Rikky Gallendes, was inside his apartment when he heard gun shots. He said that he looked outside, down at the pool, and saw a man who was bleeding and trying to run.  He said that he called out to the man to ask if he needed help when his roommate yanked him back inside, and pointed to a man sitting calmly by the pool, drinking beer, sitting in a chair, with a gun.

Gallendes said, “When we looked over the balcony, he was just sitting down with a gun on his lap. He was calm, you know. I mean from my perspective, the guy was ready to do whatever he was going to do. He shot at people having a good time and having a party.”

The witness and his roommate stayed inside their apartment after what they saw and immediately called the police.  He said that they stayed inside until they were told that it was safe to come out.

Gallendes said “As soon as I heard the gunshots I had goosebumps and the whole thing was really emotionally draining – seeing blood everywhere, seeing bodies on the ground, hoping they survived, seeing bloody footsteps you know of people who ran away. There was just so much blood. It was so surreal.”

Another witness, Kaela Wong, said she heard Peter Selis tell two women who had stopped to help a victim that they could either leave or stay there and die.

San Diego Police Chief Shelly Zimmerman said that the investigation is ongoing, and that officers are interviewing witnesses to determine Selis’ motive. Selis reportedly lived in the apartment complex.

In a tweet, San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer said “This was a truly horrific and disturbing act. We pray for the victims and thank our 1st responders. Our city rejects this senseless violence.” ...
Blue Lives Matter

The perp

Offline Frank Cannon

This doesn't sound like a hate crime. This sounds like an elaborate planned out suicide by cop.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Prayers for the victims and others affected. This is terrible.

Offline Suppressed

This doesn't sound like a hate crime. This sounds like an elaborate planned out suicide by cop.

Agreed.  I would bet that the guest list of the birthday party matched the victim demographics, so it wasn't selective targeting.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

Sounds like the guy lived there, was suicidal and shot people because they were loudly having a good time.

Offline Frank Cannon

Sounds like the guy lived there, was suicidal and shot people because they were loudly having a good time.

Nah. This guy went down to the pool to shoot people to get the cops out. I don't think the partying level had anything to do with it other than giving him more targets to get the police out.

Offline skeeter

Nah. This guy went down to the pool to shoot people to get the cops out. I don't think the partying level had anything to do with it other than giving him more targets to get the police out.
Oh, it obviously was suicide by cop.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 02:49:20 pm by skeeter »

Wingnut

Everything went to hell when the guy failed to say:  "Here, Hold my beer and watch this". 

For the uninitiated out there.... This is the distinction between a redneck and a homicidal maniac.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I notice everyone gets their race mentioned when the white guy is the perp. Funny how that doesn't work in reverse.
The Republic is lost.

Wingnut

I notice everyone gets their race mentioned when the white guy is the perp. Funny how that doesn't work in reverse.

"The other victims who were shot include three black women, three black men, and one hispanic man, according to ABC 7NY."

Setting the narrative for the hate crime racist angle I see. 

Offline Frank Cannon

Peter Selis was employed as a car mechanic at a local Ford dealership

Ford mechanic = very suicidal.

Offline skeeter

He got tired of Fixing Or Repairing Daily?

Wingnut

So he went Edsel.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Suspected San Diego shooter was distraught over recent breakup, police say
  By EMILY SHAPIRO    Karma Allen
May 1, 2017, 4:47 PM ET

The man accused of opening fire at a birthday pool party at a San Diego apartment complex, killing one and injuring seven, was purportedly despondent over a recent breakup with his girlfriend, police said today.

The suspected shooter, identified by officials as Peter Selis, 49, was shot and killed by police after the shooting at the pool area of the La Jolla Crossroads apartment complex Sunday evening, San Diego police said.

San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said today that "in the few days prior to this senseless act of violence," Selis and his girlfriend had split up, and his family described him as distraught and depressed.

Continued: http://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-killed-people-injured-shooting-san-diego-apartment/story?id=47123185

That's how it is being reported per the Police Chief's press conference.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

So, the stabbing on the University of Texas campus today - did you hear any mention of the ethnicity of the perp?  Any? 

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
So, the stabbing on the University of Texas campus today - did you hear any mention of the ethnicity of the perp?  Any?

When they don't mention race, they do.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Yep.

So if they induce a conditioned response what is that their point?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline raml

The guy is dead so who cares if it was designated a hate crime or not. All killing is hate and since they can't resurrect him and give him more jail time for being a hater why discus this at all or has our country completely gone around the bend and is totally insane.